1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9;4:3- standards of today/tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by rayrik, Oct 19, 2007.

1. rayrik

rayrik New Member

I am making my clips mainly in PAL 720X576 but I see more often other formats in clubs, beamers 4:3 mixed with all sorts of widescreens. While there are different ways to cope with that, which format would be the most flexible for those adjustments.
    While editing material I am restricted by the original, in creating my own Flash,AF etc what would be sensible choice of size ? I am new to VJing, starting when the computers are fast enough and HDs huge, not to bother about anything under 720 576, what wide format would you suggest for my archives, clip creation. Wide for sure but what would be the most flexible, easy to adjust to those various projection sizes these days and assure it can still be usefull in few years.
  2. john01

john01 5 quids worth of italics

In the UK they have started using 14:9 as a kind of compromise between wide screen and 4:3.
  3. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

This seems like it just complicates the problem to me. Now you have 3 different formats to stretch things between. People have gotten so used to watching a stretched 4:3 signal that it doesn't bother people to see an image stretched. 5 years ago it looked very funny to people to stretch a 4:3 image to fit in 16:9 screen, now people don't really notice. They are so used to watching a stretched and distorted image it looks normal now.

I prefer to make 4:3 content because most projectors are still 4:3. I have found that the 4:3 content stretches onto the 16:9 plasma screens very well (especially abstract footage). Since people are used to having their home tv stretch the image, it does not look weird to them.
  4. john01

john01 5 quids worth of italics

Tell me about it.
  5. rayrik

rayrik New Member

Interesting reading; I noticed that on the BBC world service, also their audio is somehow different. I wont go for it, enough trouble with existing formats, adding a 3rd one... no.
    Anyway the question remains for me to go 852x480 or 1024x576 for my own created clips. Apart from everything else I personally dislike 4:3 , will definitely give up 720X576 from now on.
  6. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

16x9 is the best format to start using IMO, because it is also what HD is using. Stretching 4x3 for abtract is fine, but when you start doing that to people the start looking like munchkins. BTW, with HDTV, I see that most broadcast stuff isn't stretched from it's native format, it is just on screen with borders. People are also used to seeing tv that doesn't always totally fill the screen. That said, for VJing this doesn't look good, especially if you do multi screen setups..