1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 min promo of a nite...

Discussion in 'The Business Side' started by makemassair, Dec 4, 2006.

1. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

been in a 'discussion' with vjair about how to charge for it. right my old housemate use to do flyers for this night (?50/pop) and recommended me to do a promo reel for them.

They guy was thinking about ?100 including filming. I said I wouldn't do the filming, as
    A. no camera
    B. I always loads of retakes and am never happy which at a live event is not what you need
    C. can't be arsed.

I said that I charge ?150 for 8hrs VJing. And that I could possibly stretch to doing it for that price. But the edit job only is pretty simple. Film from a night, cutup to whatever music the night is, house I think, and their logo. No fancy after fx work. Possibly some recolouring.

They plan to use it for promotion on Myspace DSI etc... but also to show at their events as he said they would be doing 2nd rooms in a few clubs.

What's a fair price for this? I said I could possibly do it for 150/edit only. But vjair is fighting a good fight.

To me its easy money, as the edit job will be pretty simple.

Ideas? Polite ways to word a responce...

2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

just to be clear, im thinking that for someone with a degree in this area - he is vastly underpricing himself for a video that can be re-used.

3. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Try to persuade him to employ you as a VJ or another for the second room. It would be great to give the oportunity to a new VJ even if only for expenses. Failing this hire all the gear required and quote him 3K for your efforts;)

Their publishing it on the web and may gain vastly from the publicity it gives them by making their night look very professional and appealing.

4. makemassair

First thing I mentioned was about the VJ. A No was th response

5. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Hire the camera.....after they have met your terms of 50% deposit;) a day & night at least filming, couple of days editing etc etc. They possibly will want changes, custom logo work done and included, sponsors logos added and that being the case the sponsors will be puting the money in and will want to approve the work....look into it well dvnt and ask all the relivent ?'s before coming up with your final figure.

6. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

it so depends on how much you like them, how much you trust them and how much you think they can afford. ?150 is the bear minimum you should charge if they are good friends and skint.

i'd be worried that they will supply shit footage and then complain when it doesn't cut together well (very likely if they don't hire a good cameraman with a decent camera)

i'd not worry too much about them using it in the future at nights and stuff - your talking about 5mins max anyway so chances are they will probably have some kind of VJ or something so they don't have the expense of hiring a projector just to show a five min film on loop all night!

I'd suggest that they need a budget of ?300 minimum which would be split 50/50 editor cameraman - you should be able to do an ok job of it for that much so long as they are good friends its an ok deal.

If they spent more then they could get a better end product. a budget of around ?3k would be the entry level for a "professional" promo video.

7. makemassair

well I'm happy to do the editing but not the filming. Granted I could end up with crap, but wouldn't be down to me.

?300 sounds cool.

8. makemassair

9. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

ok so its a night a 300 capacity club. where they charge ?5 / ?6 in so if they fill it they probably make around ?1500 on the door.

TBH unless they are good friends i'd try and charge them at least ?600 all in (ie probably around what they would pay a headline DJ)

be very careful of thinking things like
    it WILL be down to you when they decide they are not happy and want a million things changing (most of which are impossible as you don't have the shots..)

Clearly state before hand that they are hiring you and your equipment for a set amount of time - if they want another days worth of editing done to make all the little changes then they will have to pay extra.

10. makemassair

Yea I'm saying that they will get a single approval with that. I'll edit it, present it, they say blah blah change and I'll alter it if it possible and reasonable.

Would you mind if I posted the email I'm planning to send here for you to rip?

11. makemassair

and ?500? :lol2:

?500 ono?

12. makemassair

good/bad?

13. Motionreactor

Motionreactor www.motionreactor.net

bad approach imo. You start with "hello matey?" are you really that friendly with these ppl?

"A looping DVD that any idiot can use"

Think about what this makes you sound like, and what it may make them feel like. Overall I don't like the tone of the email. Read it aloud to yourself and you may see what I mean. There are lots of other things to reword / rethink in this email. I hope that helps a little.

14. makemassair

Well I know the guy. I've DJd at other nights he's been associated with and thats howI greet folk sometimes.

Ok, the idiot bit. What does it make me look like? I can make a foolproof DVD for them.

I've read it to myself and to my gf and it seems fine. It gives a breakdown of what costs there are, comparision and what he will actually get.

Thanks for the comments, but I can't see the tone you imply. :shrug:

15. Motionreactor

Motionreactor www.motionreactor.net

fair enough, of course I can't possibly understand the complete context of the relationship you have with him. I'm not used to seeing such freeform business writing that's all.

16. makemassair

No thats fair enough. I didn't want it to sound dry and overly formal is all.