1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60i -> 30p -> DVD

Discussion in 'Creating Content' started by hyperion, Apr 29, 2006.

1. hyperion

hyperion New Member

Hi

Ok I've shot some great footage in 60i 1/60th. then I deinterlaced it with JES deinterlacer (freeware) so now I have 30p footage.

It looks absolutely awesome on my laptop, I don't know why but it's the first time I see that cool looking motion on my footage (thanks JES).

The problem is that when I transfer it to DVD the cool looking motion is gone!! it's kinda strobbed. I mean it looks great, it looks like pure film (just kidding but it's kinda close) but I fell in love with the smooth motion that 30p with JES Deinterlacer produces.

Any way to keep it when I make my DVD?

BTW I'm using iDVD cause it's the only tool that I have and I have no plans of buying DVD authoring software. so any suggestions sould be on the freeware side.
  2. nobbystylus

nobbystylus New Member

Effectively when you Deinterlace something, you are going to run the risk of it strobing when you look at it on a TV. Smoothness of motion is what you get with interlaced footage. The 'Filmic' ness of footage is a certain amount of flicker. Remember also, you are 'RE-interlacing' the file when you convert it back to Mpeg 2, so there has been a two stage interlacing/deinterlacing process..
  3. hyperion

hyperion New Member

I understand that, but when I deinterlaced my footage it looked extremely smooth. When I checked the quicktime properties, I found that it was running at 60fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don?t know why but JES deinterlacer produced 60p footage so the motion is surprisingly smooth. This is the good part.
    The bad part is that I don?t know why but JES deinterlacer reduced my footage to 640x480 when I run it with deinterlacing only options.
    Anyone know how to keep it 720*480 deinterlaced?
    Is it possible to make a 60p DVD?
  4. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

No. Just 30p
  5. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

actually the best way to deinterlace without losing anything will result in a 60p file.
  6. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

Yep, that right. Methods are explained here: http://www.100fps.com/

But this can`t be burned conform as DVD. You may try to burn at as MPEG files and see if your player eats it, but there is no garantee it will work on every player.
  7. hyperion

hyperion New Member

Thanks for the links!

I think i'm giving up deinterlacing to make a DVD, the only method with reasonable quality/speed was JES Deinterlacer but it always scale down my footage to 640x480 and I won't stand it!

The other methods are truly slow.

So I'll feed iMovie with my straight from the camera DV files (well... not actually straight since I'm shooting anamorphic and I have to capture with Final Cut Pro and then render to get a letterboxed 4:3)