1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 circular screens and modul8. Best approach?

Discussion in 'A/V' started by VJ BLOCTV, May 5, 2009.

1. VJ BLOCTV

VJ BLOCTV That looks nice

Hi,

I've got a gig coming up where I will be using 8 circular screens, 4 on each side of the stage in a 2x2 arrangement, 1 projector for each set of 4. My plan is to set everything up, take a photo of the screens from the projectors point of view and create masks in PS, as per DV's tutorial. I'm feeding the projectors from modul8 via a dh2g (I need my other laptop for the screen at the rear of the stage) so will use a mask on each side of the 8:3 output.

So my question is, is this the best approach or can anyone suggest a solution that would be easier or produce better results? Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
  2. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

I think your probably on to the best approach:D
  3. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

4. vjpixylight

Block, what platform? The IUA plugs won't work on a mac:cool:
  5. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

the mac versions do.

http://www.thepixeladdicts.com/products/

*tip*

combine the IUA circle plugin with a mask to allow the channel switching / combining goodness of the circle plugin with all your other layer combining types such as keying ect
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  6. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

well, they work fine on my mac.
    does that count???
  7. vjpixylight

I guess I was thinking about reso 3, no workie..
  8. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

do you really need a camera or a custom plugin to make your circle mask? I mean come on you know its a circle and you know how big it is, if you cannot work out what to do from that point then you should think of a diferent career!
  9. VJ BLOCTV

Cheers for the replies ended up using a combination of photos and drawing using a projected PS doc if that makes sense.

Tom, would be interested to know your approach, I'm by no means an expert. I can see how what I think you are suggesting would work in an ideal set up i.e. projector directly in front of the screens but in this instance the projectors are at a angle to the screens. Also the screens aren't on exactly the same plane so the mask needed to consist of 4 slightly different ellipses. Maybe I'm missing something.

:confused:
  10. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

use modul8's features to make the mask without a plugin. load a white circle on to a black background - pan / zoom / keystone as needed. do this for each circle. record the output. take a still image from the output and use it as a mask.
  11. VJ BLOCTV

My god that was quick. :eek:

Thanks, that makes perfect sense and I am kicking myself for not working it out myself.
  12. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

can take slightly longer to do this process but the results can be a lot more accurate.
  13. AndresC4

AndresC4 Andres :)

make a still with a grid with many divicions in x and in y, with numbers on x and letters on y
    like a chess board, with a lot of diferent subdivicions, onece that you have the set up done, place that image on the proyector, so you will see in details from where to where is the "elipse"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...es.svg/600px-Lightblue_grid_blue_axes.svg.png

after that take note what is the area inside the proyector, and with that info you will make a exact mask
    this is much easer and exact than taking a picture
  14. VJ BLOCTV

Accurate is what I'm after. One set of screens looked great using the photo method but the other was messy at best. I'll have a play with the method you suggested before the next gig.
  15. AndresC4

AndresC4 Andres :)

the solucion i made it was for generals vj apps
    if you use modul8 , vjair solucion seems to be the best
  16. VJ BLOCTV

Thanks, always good to have a few perspectives. Been playing around in M8 and seems very doable :)