1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A small poll about the VJ marketplace in your city!

Discussion in 'The Business Side' started by BrainStove, Jun 14, 2002.

1. BrainStove

BrainStove The Brainy Stove

Due some comments on the chat a few days ago about the VJCentral forum community, with VJ members from almost all of the 5 continents but clearly with a 95% or more coming from USA & Europe, I was wondering the reason of that and although I know there are a zillion of factors for these results, I want to focus on this fact:
    1.- Maybe there are thousands of expert and experienced VJs from Central & South America, Asia even Africa who are not members of VJCentral... some reasons among others could be the awareness of the VJCentral site existence and the knowledge of the English language, but probably it is more a matter of your credence and confidence if you could be considered or not a VJ, due to the very limited marketplace demand in your city/country, that is indeed what I want to make the poll about.

Obviously should be hard to earn a live only as a VJ (opposite as a DJ), but maybe it could be our fault marketing our product and our services only to the more limited market of Rave promoters/producers and some vanguard open mind club owners, because as you know the music and the DJ is the main product here getting the BIG MONEY, so you can even make a great business arranging a party without any visuals at all, but without music or DJs there is no party... therefore I would like to know how many of you are getting VJ contracts from others sources like Advertising Agencys, Fashion Events & Parades, New products promotions, Fairs & Expositions, Etc.

The questions are as follow:
    1) City and country where you live?
    2) Your average service price list as a VJ?
    3) Are your fees per Hour or a whole Party/Event package based?
    4) Are you supplying also the projectors/screens in your price?
    5) How many of your contracts comes from Raves, Clubs, Other Events? (Please specify in percents & type of events)
    6) How many of your contracts are in your own city, cross your country or International?
    7) How much competence you have for good VJ contracts?
    8) How many events have you worked for free?
    9) How often you collect the money of your fees in advance, 50/50 or at the end of the event?
    10) Do you think sometime forward the VJ community could enjoy a similar status like DJs do? (N? of contracts, Travels, Money earning)

Well pals, I hope this poll doesn?t mean so much invasion to your privacy, but I?m sure that of the similar or different reality exposed from our comments, it will be very useful and helpful to make some wise decisions in order to get closer to earn a live only as a good VJ. :nod:
  2. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

WHAT ABOUT AUSTRALIA?!?!?!

Sydney, Australia

Enough

Per hour

No.... do I look like a roadie to you.

5) How many of your contracts comes from Raves, Clubs, Other Events? (Please specify in percents & type of events)

I do club gigs (80%), raves/festivals (20%), and various parties mainly with international DJs when they are in sydney and also hold a couple of small low key residencies @ small club nights. I VERY occationally do custom tapes for bars that have no facility or clientel for a live VJ

6) How many of your contracts are in your own city, cross your country or International?

90% of my shows are in sydney but I have worked in brisbane and melbourne as well and a few places in between, looking @ branching OS very soon, planning tours to NZ and southeast asia.

HUH???

I normally do 3-4 benefit parties a year depending on the promoter and the worthiness of the cuase involved.

9) How often you collect the money of your fees in advance, 50/50 or at the end of the event?

Currently 100% towards the end of the night on the night, but moving to a 50% before and 50% after arrangement soon

10) Do you think sometime forward the VJ community could enjoy a similar status like DJs do? (N? of contracts, Travels, Money earning)

Definately, but I think we should be pushing for recognition of the actual skills in mixing and material production. If you want to be treated like an artist/DJ you have to start acting like one. Which mean putting on a good performance both skills/content wise but also performance and crowd skills. If you want to be treated like the lighting guy and be party of the production team then sit up the back in a dark corner and tweek knobs. SIMPLE
  3. ristuuk

ristuuk New Member

you shouldn't really have a pop at roadies and lighting guys.
    Theres alot of programming in a large show nowadays and top l.d's are well respected as well as earn an absolute fortune.
    As for 'roadies ', shows dont happen with out them.
    On any club cut backs / budget problems for events, its the visuals first to get the chop , never the sound or lights.
  4. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

I wasn't having a go @ them..... they are essential to the night and I have many friends that do it for living, I was talking about it from more of a public profile perpective.
  5. ristuuk

ristuuk New Member

Go on ...Tell me the luma key hack for the mx12!!
  6. wellREDman

wellREDman Saitek Warrior

i'm sure morph is aware how unwise it is to upset anyone with the combinations of technical knowledge ,evil sense of humour and lack of respect for pretentious artists to be found in your average roadie:p

Brighton uk
    same as morph
    per event
    yes
    clubs 70%
    corporate shindigs10%
    rave's 20%
    mostly brighton some london, just one international so far
    please explain the question
    will always support any good cause other commitments allowing
    50/50 stipulated in contract tho some of our regulars we dont bother to chase for upfront
    please god yes
  7. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

All in good time young padwan...... :p

I think there should be some documentation for it very soon.

MoRpH

PS. Damn straight RED
  8. warpTV

warpTV warpaholic

New zealand
    never enough
    event based
    no
    5% other
    65 % club
    30% rave
    60% city
    40%country
    plese explain -
    too many
    as often as possible 50% in advance
    no - definitely better but most VJs are artists - not ego maniacs.....:D
  9. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

1) Leeds U.K.

2) I'll go with warp on this one

3) for the whole gig

4) seeing as i have to hire one (without the hire company screwing me) yes. Mind if i owend one I'd still charge it as part of my price but it would give me more flexability with price

5) Rave 80%
    club 10%
    outher 10%

6) home town 80%
    out of town 20%

7) ?

8) 1 is to meny and 1000 will never be enougth

9) 100% at the end of the gig (maybe i'm to trusting)

10) still makeing my mind up personely i'd love to be rich and fameos but i also understand that that as an artist it's not the mony that drew me to this in the first place
  10. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

colorado springs/Victor, Colorado USa

I alway never get what I should..

...event but would prefer hourly..

I usually supply most everything related to the visualz..

80% event/festival/rave
    20% club/coffee shop

for the events/raves(hate the werd), mostly around front range of Colorado.. and a few gigs in N.Mexico, and around europe when I can...

how good am I in getting contracts?? well I have been able to get some good international gigs...lousy at finding the local gigs.. More of a clickish attitude with the CO promoters...

this should be, how often do you get screwed from the promoter? but I do EarthDances for free...

well I usually try to get 50% down, but if I insisted on that, I wouldn't be getting manty gigs around here...

shit, I think we deserve more.. how hard is it to mix vinyl for a couple of hours anyway.. unfortunatly the visualz need the music, but the music can stand on it's own... maybe best to do both in one neat and tity package..
  11. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

[​IMG] --- TITy package hehehehe :p
  12. BrainStove

Sorry for my known poor english!

Regarding the 7th question, let me see if I can do it well...:alien:
    7) Do you have so much competence with other good VJs where you live that makes it hard to get well paid VJ contracts?
    With competence I mean "VJ shared market, Rival VJs, etc."

About the MoRpH complaint!!! well Hehehe, excuse me all of you guys from Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, etc.), but due in your countrys the official language is English I didn?t included it because I wanted to focus on those continents where the language is potentially other than English.
    As you can see never was my intention to discriminate Oceania regarding the thousands of experts & experienced VJs... So MoRpH :p (Cheers!!!)
    I would like to hear real figures in USD$ about your fees/List price, because I think it will be really helpful to the VJs from our less fortunate countrys (I mean the main continents I mentioned in my previous post)
    If you think it will be so much info for your VJs fellow rivals... then it is up to you :nod:
    Look forward when I answer the same questions soon! :yep:
  13. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Re: Sorry for my known poor english!

Hmmm I think you mean competition...... not competence :)

Yeah there is quite a bit of competion here in sydney but its about building good relationships with promoters and letting you excellent work speak for itself :) persoanlly never had a promoter see one of my shows and then say "no we don't want you", had a little constructive critism here and there but its all good :)

Also its far better if all the VJs work on the same side to promote the art rather than undercutting and slagging each others work... sydney is very co-operative like that as quite a few of us are very good friends and work on an numbr of projects together.... :)

No probs mate... just letting you know we're here :D
  14. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

7) Hear in leeds a lot of the nights are created by groups of frainds so if there is a visual artist as part of that group then thats who they will use so you wont get gig's from them unless you can ofer somthing they carn't.
  15. labmeta

labmeta Moderator

Plymouth, england.

adequate to pay the rent. Does anyone want to answer this question?

Always a package fee, never hourly.

Yes. Screens, lcds, slides and projectors, etc etc etc.

Most of my stuff is contracted from club promoters, odd nights or the occasional residency. But i`ve had the odd gallery commission and entertainments for art exhibition launch parties or closing nights. Probaly 90 % club work.

Everyone i work for is based in my home city. Although they promote across the county of devon. I`ve had a few jobs around the country but they have been from plymouth people who have migrated.

??????

Too many. Promoters who become friends can be very persuasive.

Always at the end of the event. Though id like to see that change. But i try to make a point of only working with those that have proved their trust.

Yes. Thinks are moving forward and when the av set becomes widespread what do want a dj for when you can have a vj-dj.
  16. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

as for the mony thing idealy i would like a minamum wage of about ?250 for a night and for that i would provide projectors screens and expensiss but geting that out of a club/rave reminds me of blood and stones.
    this would give enough mony to pay the rent etc
  17. BrainStove

My answers:

Margarita Island/Venezuela/South America

$50,00 USD per Hour (4 hrs. minimum per contract "other than Raves"), you know to be worth the annoyance to moving up all the kettles.

Hourly based, although in the case of the Raves usually per Event but even so hourly rated (anyway the promoters here hardly are ready to pay $500,00 for a 10 hours VJ session)

NO! Promoters responsability on that (Please no more worry to me!)

85% Rave/Festivals
    10% Clubs/Discos* (See the additional notes on my next post)
    05% Corporate/Fairs/Expositions

30% Local city, 70% mainly on the capital Caracas and the neighborhoods that is where the open sky Raves really happen.

7) How much competition (Price/Quality) from rivals VJs have you in your city that makes it hard to get good and well paid VJ contracts? (My 3th question option... Better???) you could answer also the interesting Pixy interpretation of my previous bad constructed question!
    There are barely 6 good VJs here all over the country getting all of the VJ jobs around, being me the more expensive but maybe the most popular (perhaps because no one do what I do or can do what I can do)

Because until now every Rave/Event/Party around here looking for VJs are produced only by greedy, money hungry, grocer like promoters... so none good cause none free work at the moment. (See also the Pixy answer to this question)

50/50 all the time... No chance to the promoters stiffing further your completely destroyed neck, shoulders and back again, no way!

(See the additional notes on my next post)... At the moment I have to stand with the ever insuperable image post MoRpH opinion about the TITy package. :D
  18. BrainStove

Additional notes 1!

1) Clubs/Discos*
    Since here in Vzla the existence of private clubs & discos with a true underground feeling (Music, People & Attitude) are very scarce and very often established over small places (400/600 persons Max.) probably as a direct space heritage from those old 60s/70s clubs where the couples used to be dancing embraced those legendary slow rock ballads like LedZep/Stairs to Heaven and Neil Young/Down by the river songs. :cool:

Therefore all of them are not big/high enough to put the Projectors/Screens stuff in a proper and comfortable way to avoid the people reflection shadows... this fact impose a lot of restrictions to be regularly hired as a VJ on such marketplace.
    However a few times I did some crazy partys on that small places, using the projector/VJsetup as a sort of lighting effect, projecting the images over the people bodys and be able to immerse to everyone on a total inner madness watching each other their fast changing drawed faces. :jump2:

On the other hand the really useful and new Big places around; usually are owned by a bunch of PinHeads yuppies, filled up with their respectives PinHeads asiduous customers, their lame music and their damm habit to grant the entry only to those necktied pompous people who are ready to spend on a Champagne, Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, whatever whole bottle basis.

So it doesn?t matter they could earn a fortune by night selling a 10 tons of cans of RedBull, Cyclon, Beer or just plastic bottles of water on behalf of the remarkable more loyal underground people, but even so they always prefer the yuppies ones, due to the limits of their narrow and obtuse point of view as well as their tight ass attitude and discriminative behaviour. :grrr:
  19. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Well Brain, after a rant like that mate you'd better hope none of those promoters ever check this site :)

Glad to see you got it out anyway........ maybe one day in the not to distant future I can come jam with you as I'm planning on passing through your part of the world either mid 2003 or early 2004.
  20. BrainStove

Additional notes 2!

2) About my 10th question*
    WOW! what a quite interesting opinions on this one... well I would like to express my point of view only based in your answers.

a.- Pixy/Warp answer: Totally agree with you pals, but about to become a sort of hybrid DJ/VJ combo neat & "tity" package...
    I do man, I?m one of that weird creatures trying to be the Orchestra Man due to my perfectionist and demanding way to do the things, but it is a real and unavoidable paradox too.

There is no way to fulfill a good performance doing both at the same time and simultaneously (You know why), the only way to built such neat & tighty<--Hey Pixy-< package (Look at me correcting the other people english!) :D... is to arrange a partnership with another so damm good hybrid DJ/VJ of your confidence and alternate the roles all night long.

So only 50% of the tiny earnings to each one...?!?! Hmmm maybe a million dollars to each one if you can be able to create such DJ/VJ team a la Chemical Bros way but hybrid. (Who knows)

At last and the hard part of the paradox is this:
    I?m currently getting more contracts as DJ than VJ, aside of my large activity as a versatile hobbyst DJ & Electronic musician (I said versatile because I could mix every style of music continuously 3 days in a row ranging from Swing, Jive, BeBop, Boogie, Zydeco, Funk, Rumble Tumble Rock, Rock & Roll, Mambo, Pachanga, Watusi, Boogaloo, ChaChaCha, Guaguanco, Brave Salsa, Cuban Son, Techno, Trance, Jungle, D&B, AcidJazz, Etc. keeping all the people dancing and jumping on their G-spots and make all the party myself alone (I already did it not so much time ago), obviously my 12000 50s/60s/70s LP record collection and my knowledge on that music styles helping me out a little, but the real issue here is as follow:

I?m too old right now to struggle with all of these pretty face ego maniacs DJs teenagers (...as Warp wisely said) new on the scene looking for contracts (thousands in fact), but when I get hired for DJing I get easy $200 usd for a 2 hours set and only had to bring with me a CD holder with 10 CDs.

At this point, it may be very tempting to give away all of your VJstuff to your dearest nephew and stand only as a DJ (I?m afraid the neat/tighty package could be a real Utopia) :(

b.- All of the other VJs answers so far: Creativity/Artistry/Recognition...
    Well from this point of view, I think that is exactly the reason we are into and getting more involved on VJing right now, in my personal case because I?m sure I?m using only the left side of my brain, could be also for the technical challenge to do it and obviously the personal satisfaction we all share about our creations.

But sadly after all of this Long/Bored/Abusive (I hope helpful) post, if I have to answer to my own question with the most honest/shorter opinion... it could be a simply "NO"
  21. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Re: Additional notes 2!

That would be neat & tidy :D
  22. warpTV

warpTV warpaholic

hey morph<--------

morph - where's your picture for the

"neat and tighty" correction.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D
  23. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

hahahahaa I'm not touching that one :p
  24. InsideUsAll

InsideUsAll immersive

Poll

Reading UK

About half what I should do

Per Event

Yep

30% Un Licensed
    70% Pucka

All over the place, not got out to Europe yet tho

competition is getting bigger and better, but its still a pretty close nit community.

too many, but I always try and make freebies the ones that I don't consider to be work

100% once the jobs done, can't seem to change that very often

hmm, hopefully. I can give up my day job then!

They are two pretty different disceplines often undertook by quite different people, maybe we shouldn't compare ourselves with DJ's. Maybe we should just ask when will we be recognized for the significance and impact our work can have on a croud. That understanding is what we should be encouraging.
  25. BrainStove

Please answer the question with figures if you can!

[​IMG]

From which one of the guys above are you afraid about????

Come on pals... as I said before that info could be very useful/helpful to everyone, specially to those who live in less fortunate countries with a minor VJsCulture/Marketplace. :yep:
  26. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Sorry mate but if ppl don't want to answer this they don't have to, and putting on more pressure won't achive anything. And I think your wrong saying it will help ppl in other marketplaces. I'm sorry but ALL VJ market places @ the momment are minor, none of us are getting the money that we want, but some of us are getting just enough, leave it @ that. All prices are relative to your local market so I don't think this is relevant unless you are touring in which case you should directly contact ppl in that area and find out about rates so you don't come in and undercut locals.
  27. eXhale

eXhale video magician

LOL brain, this is a funny image :jump2:

I didn't answer because I'm still rather new to the scene and I can't really answer half of the questions... maybe later I'll come back here and answer :) Regarding the price, it's usually illegal to talk about it, because it's considered "price fixing" (anti-competitive). I heard rumors that a web developement message board had to be shut down temporarily a while ago because of this. However I don't really think the site is big enough to bring us troubles so I don't mind if some of you want to talk about it.
  28. wellREDman

wellREDman Saitek Warrior

are you saying that if we as a community got together online and
    agreed a standard minimum fee then some big brother agency would come along and shut down this site?
  29. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Ipswich, Suffolk UK.
    Tricky one! As a long serving (25 years) visual artist, I have to say whatever you get is not enough (unless you've been on TV!!). So, you've got to try and get what you can - usually about ?40-50 an hour. Having said this, I will happily VJ for free if the circumstances are right (i.e for MY own satisfaction/pleasure, Charity, mates etc). My overheads are very low (Laptop, "Flash" software, scanny and 4-way extension lead) plus the fact that this is my first year as a VJ, so some "Loss leaders" can pay great dividends later!
    Depends on the circumstances - different situations demand a different approach, but if you go for a package, then you WILL end up on less per hour - I just did a 4 day music, comedy and Arts festival in London, for which I was paid a reasonably generous flat fee, but I ended up doing a LOT of work, however, I know that they will ask me back PLUS a large number of people saw my stuff and I made many new contacts.
    No way! After afew years of lugging a Wurlitzer electric piano around I was determined to keep my operation simple - if it doesn't fit in my ruck-sack, I don't take it! How many DJs take dex, PA, mixers etc to gigs? None - we need to train promoters, club owners that this sort of kit should be installed in the venue by default - this way they will attract more artists, and less tech-heads!
    Mostly clubs/ events, but this year I am doing both Big Chill festivals which, I suspect, will contribute a fair percentage of this years work/earnings.
    VJing in Ipswich???? Ha Ha - no, I have to travel 1.5 hrs on the big iron horse to London Village for most of my gigs (get expenses tho! ;-)
    Don't understand the question.
    See question 3. If I fancy doing the job, I'll do it, always get my travel expenses and a few free beers, couple this with a cracking party and money is the last thing on my mind. Will do as much serious charity work that comes my way - putting something back and all that! Also remember the "loss leader" priciple......when I was a working painter (oxymoron??;-)) I gave/lent work around which meant it was visible in many diverse houses. This led to loads of commission work.
    Never asked for it up front - I'm lucky that the folks I work with are serious and professional, I have an un-official agent who gets me most of my gigs and she handles this side mostly
    Oh yes! Our day will come, but only if we continue to have the right attitude and self-confidence (not to be confused with militant attitude!!). We must remember that a good DJ feeds his/her audience with a clever blend of favourites and NEW material, we, as VJs must follow suit if this is to happen - as I believe Morph stated in another thread, constant regurgitation of Godfrey Regio movie clips and Fractals is no better than a DJ playing chart music every week. Go figure!
  30. eXhale

eXhale video magician

Yeah pretty much :rolleyes: At least that's the law in the US and since my server is located in the US, I *think* that it applies to this website (I guess other countries have similar laws too...). As I said, I don't think we have too much to worry at the moment but if the site becomes really big, then I might have to set this rule to avoid troubles...