1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A symbol of the VJ?

Discussion in 'Resonance' started by InsideUsAll, Dec 2, 2003.

1. InsideUsAll

InsideUsAll immersive

I'm working on an animation project to which the theme is 'The rise of the VJ, and how along with other cultural revolutions it could ultimately kill TV and the other bullshit commercially driven corporate media beasts which rule the western world'.

problem is i need something to symbolically represent the VJ in my animation, i wanted to steer away from the obvious characture of a VJ, and work with something more representational, but nothing springs to mind - any idea's?

Dave x

N.B don't suggest a TV as thats the main representation of the enemy!
  2. many2

many2 Active Member

TV = remote
    VJ = mixer

It's not the TV, it's how we control it :nod:

Many-2
  3. Lucidhouse

Lucidhouse :::*:::

a bit grose and comical, only thing that came to mind ...
    graphic of a human face, the ears are in place of where the eyes are suposed to be :confused:
  4. elbows

elbows PixelRomper

A human brain and projector combined.
  5. Bildstrom

Bildstrom hippodippo

6. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Why not have a dude with a plug in the back of his head that sucks everything he see's in his mind and converts it onto a big fuk off screen. The ultimate VJ future!

Just out of interest - Have you seen those brain wave visualisers? People are already making music directly off brain patterns, as well as controlling robot arms and shit...
    they actually developed a brainwave translator which converts thought patterns - into a visual patterns - kind of like that squigly winamp shit.
  7. Juego

Juego Tafman

How about: The Invisible Man.... :)
  8. bluntfaktory

bluntfaktory New Member

Juego your funny .;)

how about a tv , then in it a picture of a baby in the fetal position with umbilical cord that has an S-Video or BNC cord end to it .

or a generic symbol for and eye with a tv antenna coming out of the top that's emanating rings of transmission like the old radio broadcast logos used to .
  9. alangeering

alangeering Theatre Tech (AV)

My tutor is one member of a research team working these kinds of problems. The systems still don't look very nice, shower cap medusa style.

read more if you like at: http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~parg/bci/index.html

Thought control of VJ apps would be nice, but is a very long way off. We're not even talking a byte a second in terms of data rate. It's hard work to move the cursor around the screen/

One other suggestion for vj app control would be to use an eye tracking camera. Basically you push a button then your eyes can manipulate the cursor (like a mouse). Once you've made your selection just release the button and the clip is loaded. I know there are all sorts of problems with this, but it would still be fun.
  10. eXhale

eXhale video magician

an head combining an antenna and a projector
    or two arrows going in the opposite direction
    (for extra cheesy effect, symbolize fear on one arrow and love on the other one ;))
    ie. we are able to modify and send back what we are fed by TV instead of being passive "media consumers"
  11. labmeta

labmeta Moderator

all these biomechanical frankenstein hack jobs are cool and appeal to my tech fetish. but i just feel that the vj might be something a whole lot more naturalistic. I mean the vj is the organic thing that interfaces all this stuff together.

maybe a vj could be that small little pot plant on the office window sill. just slowly growing. sucking in all that corruption and and neutralising it. although i wouldnt want to the story to turn into the day of the triffids. lol but its hard to suggest things without knowing more about what your representation needs to do. does it need to function as a character? or can it just act as a symbolic image? Maybe the vj could be a nurse or be related to medicine? A strange old tv repair person? the idea of conversion from bad to good, seems to be a theme.
  12. what about

a character with a T-bar for a head.
    but avoid to make it look like the hammers in 'theWall'

sorry, i'm having a 'oh I'm funny'-morning, need to get off my cloud. Coffee, please!!!
    sam
  13. InsideUsAll

InsideUsAll immersive

thanks for all the excelent ideas :D

heres a couple of v early stills of the characters which i intend to use as the the bad guys. The ideas have grown from this robot TV guy i drew ages ago for a little comic strip i did called 'TV kills your imagination'. I want to use him and fleets of these ships being broadcast in encapsulating waveforms eminating from an antenna representing the mainstream media churning out all their advertisements and mind numbing bullshit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i really liked all of your ideas but the one that made me shiver was the TV repair man. a quirky TV repair man who discovers a projector and whats possible with the integration of sound could be fantastic. thanks paul :love:

now i've gotta work out how to draw him :confused:

of course more idea's are welcome :help:
  14. Mucha

Mucha New Member

Nice stuff!!!

How about a regular human being with simple/clear visuals on his t-shirt... looking at the *bad* things it would be nice if u had something Human too contrast too that.

Just my 2 cp
  15. mandala

mandala New Member

my 2 bobs worth :alien:

how bout a logo/icon/symbol that is a (b&w lineart) stylized eye with the centre pupil and iris reprisenting a square visual screen - ie. a tv screen. A bit like the TDK ad...
  16. julez

julez Syn.thesia Visuals

has neone seen 11min 9sec 1frame.??

when u first said the tv repair man it immediatley reminded me of Sean Penn's entry. This also uses the potplant idea.
  17. Anyone

Anyone New Member

looks quite like Nam June Paik's sculptures,
    are you familiar with them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enjoy, Ne1
  18. videoteque

videoteque New Member

Beautiful!!!

Nice Sculptures!!!
  19. julez

julez Syn.thesia Visuals

how old are these ne1??
  20. Anyone

Anyone New Member

the sculptures were made in the 80s I think...
    ne1
  21. Lucidhouse

:The VJ hand sign:

Check out VJ DMT's web pics he's on the vj forum and I've recently bumped into his web site...I think he's holding a wicked pose with inspirational VJ hand signs

VJ DMT
  22. Anyone

Anyone New Member

man, he's like the Ali G of Vjing...
  23. Lucidhouse

sure is...

I can feel a vj add campaing coming on...
  24. julez

julez Syn.thesia Visuals

i like it...we've got a spokesperson with atitood
  25. InsideUsAll

InsideUsAll immersive

talking of VJ ad campaigns...

...watch this space [i've got an idea brewing ;)]

and oli, thanks for those pics bud, they are fantastic, never come across that dudes work before, amazing how similar the robot TV guy looked to mine with the tools he would have had available at the time. more or less exactly the same idea of a character as mine.
  26. Anyone

Anyone New Member

yeahman,
    IMO he's the biggest video artist alive...

I actually wanted to screen some if his work at the AVIT screenings,
    but we opted for a selection of "younger" videos...

having said that, I still have a documentary of him,
    showing most of his work,
    it's entititled "prisoner of the cathode ray"
    if you can't find it on amazon or the like,
    come over and I'll dub you a tape...

(it's about 1 hour long)

one good anecdote in the doc
    is when he sez he coined the expression "information superhighway"
    and then Clinton stole it from him
    for his 1992 campain promoting the internet

:nod: Ne1
  27. bassy

bassy New Member

just another suggestion for symbolising the VJ,

use a sticky figure, made of eyes, depending on the feeling of the VJ, give the eyes a different color, shape,...
  28. BrainStove

BrainStove The Brainy Stove

Oooopppss!!

Nam Jun Paik?s documentary "Prisoner of the cathode ray" hitting the Forums?...

I?m afraid my anonymacy is in danger now :scared:
  29. Anyone

Anyone New Member

Re: Oooopppss!!

NAM! I didn't know you were living in Venezuela :rolleyes: ;)

Ne1
  30. neoteo

neoteo Active Member

nice

VJ ...

i feel something like a movie director and projector man in one
    its the cinema paradiso of the future

the man behind the projector

lots of machines around

croud going wild about it

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:
    :not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth :robot: :dali: