1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed - Mounts for venues / quick setup & release?!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by thc_guy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. thc_guy

thc_guy New Member

So I have a optoma projector and I take it to a different venue every night. I would like to be able to mount it to the lighting truss or various celiling beams. They differ in each venue so I need something that can connect to anything and is really quick to setup and take down. I don't want a typical mount that you have to screw in and is permanent.

Looking for something with a hook, clamp, etc that can be thrown up in 60 seconds and taken down in 60 seconds.

Any ideas or suggestions?
  2. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

a spigot
    then a variety of attachments

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. thc_guy

thc_guy New Member

more options...

That looks right for the truss but not for beams, etc....

I have seen it done with something that looked more like a c-clamp where it hangs underneath the beam, post, truss, or whatever the hell you can find hanging from a venue ceiling - there won't always be a truss so I need something that works with any other situation too.
  4. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

[​IMG]
    this or

[​IMG]

a pair of these and a short tube or

[​IMG]
  5. visualove

visualove New Member

You might look at film and lighting, camera support and grip equipment. Not sure the same one would cover trusses and beams.

You could weld on a bolt nipple to welding clamps with "vice-grip" fast release.
  6. pixelschubser

pixelschubser Member

i use manfrotto Magic Arms and superclamps
  7. jonbonk

jonbonk New Member

I agree with DeepVisual. Get ALL of those solutions! Venues never seem to have the same setup, and you never want to be caught trying to find a hardware/theatrical equipment store right before a gig.

Basically assume that you will have to mount a variety of ways, and even then, might have to jury-rig as well.

Many venues have pipes/truss setup for the lighting, but not all. I went on tour where a pipe clamp (2nd in list on DeepVisuals breakdown) made our day most of the time. But not all. Also look into a tripod for your projector as well, since sometimes you can to shoot from the floor as well.
  8. Thelooca

Thelooca Member

I use manfrotto magic arms. At the end a custom made plate. The projector can be attached with screws or just with strips. Works really great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]