1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed - Mounts for venues / quick setup & release?!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by thc_guy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. thc_guy

thc_guy New Member

So I have a optoma projector and I take it to a different venue every night. I would like to be able to mount it to the lighting truss or various celiling beams. They differ in each venue so I need something that can connect to anything and is really quick to setup and take down. I don't want a typical mount that you have to screw in and is permanent.

Looking for something with a hook, clamp, etc that can be thrown up in 60 seconds and taken down in 60 seconds.

Any ideas or suggestions?
  2. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

a spigot
    then a variety of attachments

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. thc_guy

thc_guy New Member

more options...

That looks right for the truss but not for beams, etc....

I have seen it done with something that looked more like a c-clamp where it hangs underneath the beam, post, truss, or whatever the hell you can find hanging from a venue ceiling - there won't always be a truss so I need something that works with any other situation too.
  4. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

this or

a pair of these and a short tube or

5. visualove

visualove New Member

You might look at film and lighting, camera support and grip equipment. Not sure the same one would cover trusses and beams.

You could weld on a bolt nipple to welding clamps with "vice-grip" fast release.
  6. pixelschubser

pixelschubser Member

i use manfrotto Magic Arms and superclamps
  7. jonbonk

jonbonk New Member

I agree with DeepVisual. Get ALL of those solutions! Venues never seem to have the same setup, and you never want to be caught trying to find a hardware/theatrical equipment store right before a gig.

Basically assume that you will have to mount a variety of ways, and even then, might have to jury-rig as well.

Many venues have pipes/truss setup for the lighting, but not all. I went on tour where a pipe clamp (2nd in list on DeepVisuals breakdown) made our day most of the time. But not all. Also look into a tripod for your projector as well, since sometimes you can to shoot from the floor as well.
  8. Thelooca

Thelooca Member

I use manfrotto magic arms. At the end a custom made plate. The projector can be attached with screws or just with strips. Works really great.