1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After Effects for Projection Mapping Structure

Discussion in 'Software' started by Soup Visuals, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Soup Visuals

Soup Visuals Visually Obsessed

I’m trying to understand how one builds a template for a projection mapping structure in after effects. Here’s Zebbler’s example page from the Shpongletron tour, I just don’t understand how you build the masks inside of AE to match the real life geometry/size.

http://shpongletron.blogspot.com/2010/12/extensive-after-effects-templates.html

I've been doing projection mapping through various software but am way passed ready to step up and do "true mapping" and build the content composed for the structure.

2. Soup Visuals

Soup Visuals Visually Obsessed

any ideas anyone?

3. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

that technique appears to need you to be able to unfold the final projection target in your brain and replicate it on screen in AE.

conventionaly in 3d environments, youd unfold the uv map and use it as a template - which is essentialy whats been done there, but this manualy replicating it rather than just "unwrapping" it in software.

4. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

what is there to not understand?

the masks are the same shape as the real world screens
    they are then cut out and distorted to fit on output, in this case by corner pin distortion.

thats all there is to it.
    its just like wallpaper.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012