1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue video synth (VGA) high-rez

Discussion in 'Developers Area' started by videobrian, Nov 10, 2006.

1. videobrian

videobrian New Member

hi.

i made an analogue video synthesizer.
    it's VGA based so it can run really fast (120Hz) and really big (have tested up to 2048x1538 on a video projector)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

its main purpose is to visualize audio wave-forms (like an oscilloscope)
    for 2 sound inputs... but it can mix with the vga output from a computer in a bunch of different ways (think 1980's here kids ; )
    actually, if you patch it right, you can get the audio waveforms to bend around the contours of a background video.

i've been using it to make brainmelting a/v feedback noise and am planning to supplement it with a few more breakout boxes to that end soon. eventually there will be midi (vidi!) and CV capabilities.

http://www.mediumrecords.com/vs0/vs001.html

2. DrEskaton

DrEskaton Triple Hexagon, Osaka

this is amazing...

would love to see it in action.

any plans to sell them?

3. simot

simot New Member

superb!

4. videobrian

videobrian New Member

cheers and cheers : )

will probably see about selling a few of these Eskaton.
    they'll probably all be unique items though, inside and out.

this first one really is a bit of a mystery machine, there's just so many possible patch combinations, not all of them do something or do something different, but there's always surprises lurking.
    it's pretty limited to very primary colours this one, but some earlier experiments with colour mixing made for a huge amount of choice, something which i decided to leave for a future break-out box since there's just so many possibilities to explore. at one point i had wave forms which totally looked 3D... sort of like DNA science graphics...

5. t2k

t2k New Member

Post some videos of this stuff, it sounds very cool =)

Trey

6. videobrian

videobrian New Member

okay.

there's a list of vids here

this one
    and this one

might be worth checking out.
    guess those should go in the a/v forum though.

7. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

this is fucking amazing. what a BEAST.

analogue AV is back. I love the look of the machine, diagrams and tech report... currently watching the video demos- they're great.
    looking forward to see the extra modules.

WELL DONE MATE!

hey brian: seems to me that the Synth also sounds like it's altering the audio... did i imagine it?

I love direct analogue audio to video translation experiments such as this one

:not worth
    dav

8. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

I've always kinda scoffed at circuit bending things, but that truly is amazing.

9. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

Oh, by the way, You showed up on hackaday.com, so you'll probably be slashdotted soon. Hope your web server is up for it.

10. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

This is very old school(but cool never the less). I've done it while mixing feedback outputs with a vid mixer with some pretty cool results.

As for the VGA A/V synth videobrian has made...well feckin fantastic!
    looks like the Rebel has some competition now:)

11. cat

cat Senior Moments

WOW
    You can put me down for one if you ever sell any!

Cool stuff...

12. lowRes

lowRes another member

videobrian,
    that is one of the most amazing things i've ever seen!
    beautifull!!!
    hardware synths r back!!!

* )
    r_x

13. videobrian

videobrian New Member

thanks for the comments : )

yeah, for some of those patches the video alters the audio.
    i should really diagram it actually.

a video signal from the computer, say, just the blue and green channels is run through audio mixer... which in video terms become a big lowpass filter, and everything in the picture totally blurs. the video as sound is a characteristic buzz but you can hear changes when there is movement... and i've figured out a few ways to sort of soften out the buzz a bit and keep the changes. video with something moving surrounded by a black background worked best for me so far. it's nice cause the pan pots can route specific video to specific colours. will have to make some specific digital video content with totally different shapes for each colour.

but yeah, movement fluctuates the audio... and the audio is run back into the machine, which uses the audio to cause movement in the picture... so it's been a lot of fun finding the sweetspots between audio eqs and vidi-synth controls to make things really feedback.

i was just using a cheap berhinger mixer for the audio and i'm not really sure of its bandwidth... running video through 24bit digital will only get horizontal lines going. guess i'll be building an audio mixer with high speed buffers and stuff to see how much detail in a picture i can maintain (and fuk with)

14. visualove

visualove New Member

What's the basic principal of the synth block? how does it generate the video from the audio and then mix it? I like all the loose wires - each one will be unique in the effect of crosstalk!

Great job, there is still a place of analog!!

15. Bartholomew

Bartholomew Resolume VJ Software

:not worth

16. disassembler

disassembler Mix+Mix+Chop+Chop

Neato Brian!

17. VJzoo

VJzoo its a fairlight!

18. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

you are the master, i can only dream of making something as cool as that!

19. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

Great stuff!

20. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

Wow! Really great device!

21. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Looks very interesting, would be interested in picking one up if they go into production.

22. KillingFrenzy

KillingFrenzy KillingFrenzy Visuals

Very nice, indeedy

Raw and nasty, but not just a bunch of sync-trashing nonsense. I like it.

23. bod

bod New Member

nice one brian! i'vebeen following your blog for a while now, glad to seeyou have a finished unit!

i'd love to know what ic's are in there! :)

24. videobrian

videobrian New Member

cmos, highspeed cmos, and some ttl i think..

magic ; )

25. WordVirus23

WordVirus23 NoInput is Detected

wait a sec... you've figured out how to mix VGA signals in a box that small... costing less than a 1000 bux (I'm guessing on cost) so you realize, that's everyone's lil dream box right? VGA mixer with built in visualizer? ...and it's small! :drool:

26. visualove

visualove New Member

Magic is good. in engineering school some students built "the hippie machine". It was a color TV with stereo audio driving the vertical and horizontal deflection coils. Like and X/Y oscilloscope. The summed L&R audio was passed through low, mid and high pass filters to drive the R,G,B gun amps.

VGA is component video with sync, R, G and B, so just 3 times as complicated as composite and half more complicated than S-video ;)

27. stex

stex --.-'--

:eek: :not worth :yep:

28. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

wot he said.

how much u sellling them for?

29. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

wow cool stuff :)

how "legal" is the output of this box? are you running it directly into a projector / LCD monitor or does it only work on analog monitors? Can you scanconvert the output back down to video? Also am i'm correct in thinking that this box cannot mix in a conventional sense the outputs from 2 computers?

looks like a great invention - much like the rebel but made by a sane person (! :))

30. fata alex

fata alex analog VJ

yeah nice one mate, thats awesome, a friend sent me a link to the hackaday page a few days ago and it give me the kick up the arse i needed to take the plunge and buy one of these: http://www.eyetrap.net/hardware/chromascope.html

its the latest in our arsenal of analogue kit, but i've not seen or heard of anything like yours before.
    Thats the beauty of analogue - everything does something slightly different, even 2 of the same model will still produce slightly different effects.
    We need an analogue AVIT really :)