1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Motion Dive.Tokyo users out there?!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by VJ_Anomolee, Oct 7, 2006.

1. VJ_Anomolee

VJ_Anomolee video instrumentalist

Hello, Im new to the forums and just ordered my MotionDive.Tokyo performance package, and I was curious if there was anyone out there thats actually using it already???

Im VERY interested in writing my own plugins (TUNE) for the system.
    Any and all comments on this matter would help.
    Thanks!

link to the setup:
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=750&ParentId=114
  2. dansmachine

dansmachine Video. Performance. Art.

One post would be sufficient to find MDT-users, and alas, I'm on another application (-;
  3. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

If you find a way to create something for MDT to make it anyway usefull let me know... =/

MDT for some reasong has half of the features than MD3 (that only runs onder classic). Many people are upset because is an actual downgrade version.

I can actually sugest you to dig more into MD3 (if you are on a G-class Mac) or take a look at Modul8 that seems intimidating but will do the same and way more than MDT.

That would be my advise, and return MDT without open it.

Now, if you do not anything about VJing any software will be good for you any way.
  4. VJ_Anomolee

Ya ive used Modul8 and Grid/grid pro and
    I bought the MDT/edirol package because i like the look of the software.+close matched hardware.
    and I feel its lack of features can be overcome by writing TUNE plugins.
    What Im trying to understand is HOW I can write my own.
    And dont tell me I can't, thats hogwash! WTF is the point of making a plugin architecture without open 3rd party development.
    there ARE more Tune plugins out there. and Im going to figure out how to make my own! even if i have to learn japanese first.
  5. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

to be honest, you might get a lot more out of MDT if you can speak japanese.

there is very little out there in the way of English Language Support for motiondive
  6. VJ_Anomolee

Oh yeah'? Could you or anyone else point me to some of those japanese resources that might possibly have info on how to make my own TUNE plugins.
    I can babelfish it for now..
  7. turkish

turkish Doin' it in HK. sometimes

Get yourself some 'proper' software - there's so many to choose from that'll blow your socks off and make you wonder why you ever wasted your time on MDT.
  8. VJ_Anomolee

repeating myself here:
    Ya ive used Modul8 and Grid/grid pro and several other VJ softs.
    Many of you telling me to try other software have not even used MDT.
    I bought the MDT/edirol package because i like the look of the software.+close matched hardware.
    and I feel its lack of features can be overcome by writing TUNE plugins.
    What Im trying to understand is HOW I can write my own.
    And dont tell me I can't, thats hogwash! WTF is the point of making a plugin architecture without open 3rd party development.
    there ARE more Tune plugins out there. and Im going to figure out how to make my own! even if i have to learn japanese first.
    Im dedicated to the MDT platform, so please no more suggestions for me to go to another software especially if you dont give me any actual reasons why any other software is better.
    thank you
  9. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

I think we got your point :rolleyes:
  10. dvjprotohippy

dvjprotohippy New Member

I would be willing to test some new plugs, but haven't the slightest on how to program them.... ;) I use it still from time to time, got MD4 before they came out with the hardware controller, mostly use it for the macro so that I can take a break to go to the bathroom or smoke or something...........
  11. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

well you can't very easily write plugins without a plugin SDK and their isn't one for MDT so you can't make your own plugins...
    oh yeah?? where are they? why don't you mail their authors and ask for some sample code?
    it would be more use to learn lingo / action script / director seeing as this is what motiondive is made from.
    well lets give you some reasons why other software is better.
    almost all other VJ software performs better than MDT - you can play higher resolution clips in modul8, grid, grid pro, arkaos, isadora etc etc
    also most of the above named apps support external plugins through the freeframe plugin system which not only HAS an SDK it is also crossplatform and open source so there are plenty of example plugins which you can look at to get started coding.
    all the above named apps have dev teams that speak english (even if its not always their first language) they all also have actual technical support where they offer assistance to their users (unlike MDT / edirol who don't speak english or don't offer support to their non japanese users)

if you wish to continue to attempt to develop tunes plugins for MDT then you need to get a lingo / director decompiler and reverse engineer their plugin system - this is the only way you'll make any actual progress and it is really not worth the effort given that their is the possibility of coding plugins easily for a wide range of other applications which are ultimately better than MDT anyway.
  12. VJ_Anomolee

Sleepytom,
    Thank you for the informative post.
    1.ya i agree the only way to write my own Tune Plugins is to reverse engineer some of theirs. with a director compiler.
    2. Ya i watched some video on edirols website that showed a japanese guy showing off a plugin thats not on their website, plus there are 2 more tune plugins available as extras i found on their site.
    3. Ya I'm actively trying to learn actionscript (good to know anyway)
    4. MDT does have an english support team by the way.
    however they havent answered any of my questions yet.
    -----------------------------
    5. Well anyone want to buy a DM2 from me to help buy the new Modul8 2.5?
    since i wasted all my cash on MDT http://www.vjforums.com/images/smilies/bawl.gif
  13. dvjprotohippy

dvjprotohippy New Member

Don't toss that DM2 just yet, in fact check out neuromixer, http://www.neuromixer.com/ , It is written by VJ Fader, and is FREE!! It uses the dm2, and has freeframe support, I think......anyways, it's a cool little proggy that will put that little DM2 toy to use!! Hope that helps some.......
  14. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

What good is it for if they don't answer you? :rolleyes:
  15. Erico

Erico New Member

motiondive.. 3 & 4

it's my favorite program to use.. i work with it on a g4 12" powerbook for the md3 and a intel macbook running md4 [edirol console] and a v4 vjmixer
    and yeah they kinda downgraded it, but i can life with it.. only a bit iritated that ya cant reach them.. still searching for the plugin unlock codes..
    and i'm willing to suport you in your search for info, it must be out there.. and babblfish is the tool i used for alot of translations for japanese programs,

grtz. Erico
  16. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

do you realise that this thread is more than 2 years old?
  17. mavdog

mavdog ★☆ Visual Ⓐnarchist ☆★

Yeah but it fun to bring threads back to life plus would be interesting to find out if anyone had any luck writing Tune plugins tho i guess we'd of heard if they'd had.
  18. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk

I do like how MDT works with a groovebox/sampler via V-Link. I am looking into getting the roland sp 555.
  19. mavdog

mavdog ★☆ Visual Ⓐnarchist ☆★

oh no sorry i think it rubbish nice idea but a fail, it would be nice if the v-link worked adding its effects without changing the clip playing when a midi key is pressed.

eg. if you when playing a piece of music on your midi keyboard or even using a sequencer your clips would flash through without playing fully, you would only see the first second or so of each of the clips, maybe this is nice for somethings but not my style of vjing.
  20. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

Yeah right. You just didn't know, tell the truth. :p
  21. Erico

Erico New Member

i'm a MotionDive user and i have the Edirol controller.. still use motiondive but i lost the software cd for the controller.. would love to talk about how you use it..

let me know!

grtings Erik aka trm164