1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVit retreat anyone?

Discussion in 'AVIT Retreat' started by vjpixylight, Nov 13, 2004.

1. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

Now that AVit Denver is history, and with it be a great resourse for Colorado VJ's to get to know each other, I am ready to start gearing up for the AVit NA Retreat!
    As I have mentioned, AVit NA is certainly welcome to set this up on a 160 acre ranch where I am hanging @ these days..
    It is surrounded on 3 sides by national forest, is increasingly getting more and more infastructure, and can host plenty of activities for us AVJ's and visualist's!!

I might also add the with the successful AVit Denver, we'll probably get some funding from the ppl we have worked with for the Denver AVit..

Soo what do you all think??
    Time to get planning and organizing if we want to do it this next summer!!

Just want to say Cheerrs and respect to Dr. Spook, for kicking some VJ ass last nite at the show! Nate keep up the good atitude and work!!

2. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

yeah sounds wicked...
    what needs to get done now?

3. vjpixylight

well besides my end of getting the Happy Ass Ranch ready on the infastructure level, (we will hopefully be powering the whole retreat with renewable energy, and will have wireless internet covering most of the ranch, for those who can't stand being away from the wire for longer than a day:)), it would be nice to plan a theme project that could start on the individual VJ level, and come together at the retreat to create something that would integrate these individual works into a master narrative/piec/VJ story?

or somewhat along those lines..

If we start compileing work now, we could really build something..

has anyone seen the Bleep movie?
    This movie is breaking the paradigms, (with things like making a deaf mute the leading role) and the like.
    It would be cool to turn the VJ paradigm on it's head in a similar fashion..

Thoughts? Ideas?

4. vjnixmix

vjnixmix Video Mixin' Vixen

Hey pixy,

Glad to hear the festival went well. As for the AVIT retreat.... Casey and I started with some ideas. Of course driving home from the burn we had some grandeur concepts and then decided to tame them a bit so we won't go crazzy trying to plan it. After all this is suppose to be the calm before the storm (the storm being AVIT VanCouver of course).

Our initial concept is to have it be modular in approach with different crews from different areas planning there own theme/module. This would seperate the planning and make it easier for the organizers to worry about the overall structure. We hope to have education and open performance. Also we are brainstorming a way to involve funding and/or sponsors to pay for the event. Because we don't want to have a conference per say this may take some creative funding. Grant writing anyone???

Ideas for modules???

5. vjpixylight

funding...

yes I will start actively seeking now that the AVit Denver deal is done..

I think being able to do this retreat as an "Renewable Energy meets AVit" program will be a good place to start attracting some funding..

One of the few good thing's that just happened with this last election was that Colorado voter's passed a mandated starting with 3% of the total power sold by Colorado utilities being renewable's over the next 15 years, and 10% in 25 year's time. This mean's that $$ is going to start finding it's way into program's/event's using renewable's, of which the ranch here is well on the way..
    I'll definately post what I can find for grant's on that front, and on behalf of the Happy Ass Ranch, I'll also make sure that the best, least expensive solutions for rigging the event, and infastructure, will be adopted, keeping our short term costs lower..

Also the ranch will have High speed wireless network capabilities, and a whole lot of wireless webcam's spread out thru the ranch, (which is 160 acre's)
    and will be available to checkout via the web..

6. spark

spark cut-up, composit, create

retreats all good, go for it. there's a lot of good stuff behind that kind of thinking, and it definately keeps with the avit idea.

(oh, and i moved this into the future forum in case you were wondering)

toby