1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baggage

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by 6071842, Jan 8, 2008.

1. 6071842

6071842 I've given money to VJForums

hello all,

I need some recommendations on luggage to carry my laptop and also cables etc. i will be doing a little bit of flying and it also has to be within those limits.

i will be mainly flying easyjet and also ryanair and would like this bag to take on as hand luggage.

what would be best and i cant think of any good bag makes that can do what i need them to.

also what do other peeps do and what are you solutions?

2. cat

cat Senior Moments

I've got a trunk&co rucksack that has a laptop pocket and 2 sections with a zip around expansion, fits in the lockers and carry laptop a small midi controller and some leads, but I always take a flight case too with mixer etc in, which I check in as musical equipment (flat £25 fee on ryan and easy jet I thinK, for any size weight as long as its a "musical instrument") and I always put it through as fragile/oversized, which seems to mean they take a bit more care about it,ie they havent lost it yet!
    any help?

3. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

I flew last month carrying a laptop, Cg8, and some other small bits as hand luggage....easily got round the one bag rule by buying 1 larger bag :D Easy jet are not interested in weight of hand luggage only dimmensions. This was to and from Manchester, Spain and Ibiza. Best to call Ryan Air, I used to fly quite often with them and they seemed to enjoy changing their rules.

4. 6071842

Thanks cat! la googling as now.

thanks for this as well. do you have any links to your bag?

:)

5. 6071842

Thanks for the heads up on the lovely people at ryanair :)

yeah i forgot to mention dimensions as well. easyjets are

and this link is cool for other peeps to look at :)

http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/f/Laptop_Cases/Backpacks.htm?page=2

:)

6. 6071842

7. shudder inc

shudder inc ......

There was a time period where i had to fly 4 -6 times per week while supporting a musician with some visuals. My setup consisted of a laptop, ex.hard drive, midi controller, video mixer, and occasionally a dvd player. The rule i used was to never check anything you couldn't locate in the next city or country. So things like cables would go in the checked luggage if they needed to. As well as small dvd players, the risk with those though are they could be lifted by security.
    I purchased a Targus made laptop bag and used that to carry the lappy, drive, and midi controller (a trigger finger at the time so nice and flat) and then spec.ed the video mixer in the rider. (which in my case made for 50/50 chance i'd have a video mixer)
    I never had any problems with this, many, many times of taking the lappy in/out at security but i got very used to it. Check with the airlines to see what their limits are for carry-on luggage. It has been 2 years since i did massive amounts of flying but at the time almost all airline allowed for a carry- on bag and then a personal item such as purse, laptop, camera bag, etc. So if your laptop is more mid to smaller sized you could possibly use that as your personal item and then have a reasonably sized bag for your cables, controllers and such. Definitely check with the airlines though.
    You might want to be prepared for emergencies in which you may have to check more than you'd like. There was a time a year ago when everything was checked in. Pelican does make a hard case carry-on that could also be useful if you need to check your gear, but make sure it is acceptable on your airlines. There is also a company that makes Otterbox cases for laptops, i don't own any but they look very nice and could also be good if you absolutely have to check your laptop. Obviously checking a laptop has serious risks associated with it (unless it's a Toughbook, does anyone here use one for vjing?). Luckily it never came to this, and a question I have for other traveling vj's that is relevant for you as well, what do you do when you have to fly and the airline is making you check all electronics? Miss the flight? Have a case that's prepared for this? Or put it in your bag and hope for the best?

8. 6071842

Thanks for that Shudder :)

ideally i can fit laptop ext hdd, a few cables and also a mdi device if needs be. i really like the look of the targus bags and its that style of bag that im after, one that looks like a normal bag and not one with £1000's worth of equipment in there.

i really like the look of the pelican cases but dont think i will have the dollar for one of them at the mo. also like the look of the otterbox as well.

thanks Shudder :)

9. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

i got the rackmount one of these.
    doub't if mine will go hand baggage, but this one looks like it might.
    [​IMG]

10. complexvisuals

complexvisuals Eye Squared

Watch out for Ryanir, the rules are enforced the busier the plane gets. I've flown with them 6 or 7 times this year. I've walked on with cabin baggage and laptop case no problem, other times its been a row at the door of plane. I'd recommend getting priority boarding when booking, makes it all a bit easier.

11. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

I kid you not :D

[​IMG]

12. vdmoKstaTi

vdmoKstaTi Seems to be Right Now

Have any of your kids been kindly asked to unpack everything from your Laptop/Essentials/Cables/Midi controllers bag that you so neatly put before you got to the airport. I'm telling you, its not fun!!! I can never put everything as neatly back as it was.

While I was doing it, I asked one of the security if I could film little snippet of xray machine scanning items. I was refused. arseholes! :) From now on, its my mission to capture something like this... and I'm going to get it!!!

13. PilotX

PilotX Tom syzygy, not Dan ;)

a little hint that I learnt from one of the vjamm allstars - it can be cheaper to buy extra tickets rather than pay excess baggage fees if the kit you have to take is more than you are allowed to carry.
    iirc this meant they could take a few of their friends to a gig somewhere and it was cheaper for the promotor fly them all then pay the excess baggage fees :)

14. deepvisual

so can upgrades to business where you get more allowance- guess it depends on where and how long you go for.

15. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

now that sounds like a good idea. not sure why, but somehow it might make things easier?

another tip that a friend in europe told me: if you have ten kilos extra luggage, if you arrive 2-3 hours early for the flight, they might just book your extra gear through for free.

i like the idea mentioned by Shudder; the Pelican carry-on case that can also be checked through if necessary. very smart idea, although they do cost a pretty penny eh.

is it possible with all airlines to bring a laptop and hand luggage onto the plane?

found the pelican carry-on airline case for around $170 here .. looks pretty good.. they say that it is the largest legal carry on case.. although that depends on the airlines i guess. is it appropriate for VJ's? is it the right shape? just trying to figure out what would go in the case, and what would be checked through, and perhaps that would require another pelican case, or a number of pelican cases.

heh, obviously i havent flown with much gear before, and so am v. interested in this thread.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  16. Movement

Movement Ne1co Member

Students also get extra baggage. useful if you're a student or can blag it like we did......er...i mean like a friend did. Another good tip is don't put your check in item fully on the conveyor belt, either use your foot or on the metal end plate. Its amazing how much weight it saves!!!

Has anyone come across a good small suitcase thats the right size to take as hand luggage but will fit in two laptops?

17. famouswhendead

famouswhendead VFX Generalist

Have a look at the UDG producer bag as well.
    I have a brenthaven pro 17 camjo bag (which sadly doesn't get made anymore) but if you can find one they are very good and exactly airline size.

18. shudder inc

shudder inc ......

i could not find the Targus bag that i own in the link i provided earlier, but it is a messenger style bag and in that i fit a 17" Dell and a 15" MacBook Pro (Mac in exchange for the Trigger Finger), there wasn't room for much anything else but those were the two most fragile items.

about the Pelican carry-on and if the shape suits, Pelican's have either set dividers or "pick and pluck" foam so you can create your own inserts to match your gear. but definitely check with whatever airlines you fly because that was developed a few years ago when most all airlines followed the "within 45 linear inches" (or metric equivalent) and the Pelican carry-on was just barely at the limit. I have used a Pelican 1500 for a V-4 and twice checked it and it was fine. a but nerve-racking for me, as i tend to worry, but it worked out. there are some other manufacturers of hard cases that are pretty much the same, i just new of Pelican so i picked up a few of those.

and yes, i have had to take absolutely everything out for residue tests and than had to try to cram it all back in whilst a bunch of pissed of passengers to be had to wait. as much as they tore through my items though they never asked me to plug anything in and turn it on.

19. complexvisuals

complexvisuals Eye Squared

On Ryanair flights its a free for all when it comes to seating. When you have priority boarding you get to get on before everyone else. This means a)you can get a decent seat (emergency seat with legroom) and b) less likely to be stopped if you have 2 bags. If the air hostess looks out and theres a ton of people waiting to get on and you have 2 bags, they might turn you back, ive seen it happen. but if you slip in before everyone else they let it go.

20. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

maplins sell a cheap (£25-£30) record deck flightcase and the foam inserts are left for you to sort out - fits nicely into the size checker thing at check-in even though it looks like it wont

easy arrange 2 laptops into it and with a bit of thought power packs and external drives as well

and this is the icing on the cake for me.....

for the price the sour looks from jobsworth check in people is just a bonus

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  21. 6071842

i hadnt thought about UDG,

is this the bag you have? looks like a cool bag and what i might be after

http://www.topdjgear.com/udgproducerbag.html

bit pricey but at least it'll last :)

also this site has some alright bags as well :)

http://www.ebags.co.uk/brands/index.cfm?sub_site_id=4

and that pelican case looks cool as well :)

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1500

also nice and cheap aswell gary :)

http://www.djbargains.co.uk/DJEquipment/Gigskinz-dj-bag-w-laptop-section-1295.aspx

so much to choose from

22. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

and don't forget the maplins..

[​IMG]

it does look a bit spesh eh? could just imagine the flight checkers saying "and who does he think he is, swanning about with luxury items such as this? a vj or something??"

actually the finish looks very like the outside of the double-screen portable Donkey Kong game that was popular back in 1987.

will you be travelling with V4 too? if you list your occupation as a VJ, and then show up to the airport without a V4, it is quite possible they will refuse flying permission until you explain why.

heh, just kiddin around. what i did want to mention re/ V4 is that the white output knob is the most prominent on the machine, and many vj's have lost the functionality due to knob pressure in transit.

deepvisual has mentioned about a foam-inlay-support-technique, not sure how it works, somehow transfers the pressure evenly, protects yr machine.

23. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

thats the case i was on about earlier

currently i am using it for my codanova but originally it took a laptop an external drive power packs and cables for both a midi trigger finger and small portable dvd player for back-up/preview and the power pack for that

24. deepvisual

those little plastic feet get eaten by baggage carousels.
    watchout.

25. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

it fits in the measuring thing they use so it is really useful for carry on

personally i wouldnt put it anywhere near the baggage handlers - too flimsy and too insecure

V4 if i take it does go into the hold but then i bought a proper case (from gary) to do that with

26. Mixed Ape

Mixed Ape Confused Primate

27. 6071842

I like the look of thi bag. might be what im looking for :) haha and yeah it doesnt look like it will die anyways :)

28. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM2500.htm
    [​IMG]
    fits in hand luggage - strong enough to go in the hold if needed (eg when they change the rules whilst your out of the country!) fits 2 or 3 laptops and a couple of external drives.. or one laptop and a v4 and kaoss pad and small preview monitor. has wheels so you don't die of sweat when carrying it round heathrow. can be padlocked / ziptied shut (they let you do this for checked bagage so long as you go to the outsized bagage counter) Looks professional which is worth an extra £100 sometimes! well worth the investment (i brought my first one whilst in the states - since i've brought a couple more form US ebay sellers for much less than the UK price)

29. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

oh i forgot to say it's waterproof (like chuck it in the sea waterproof) and bear proof which might be handy if your somewhere remote and need to keep your lunch safe!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. 6071842

Nice one Tom. Liking the lok of this as well for my V4 etc. its got wheels which is a good thing as well. my arms and back are broken of carrying gear around!!! definatley look into this. Professional is what im after as well :)

Cheers :)