1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Quicktime codec to keep Alpha channel

Discussion in 'Software' started by MoRpH, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

What Quicktime codec does everyone recommend for making loops with Alpha transparency??

2. vanakaru

vanakaru I've given money to VJForums

PNG+ (Millions of Colors+). Period! Stay away of Animation.
    If you use Resolume only then DXV should have alpha layer, but it runs that only with Resolume.
    For fast system you may be able to run ProRes4444 with alpha.

3. dontregister

dontregister New Member

Go for quicktime PNG. Light and sweet.

WATCH!

4. madsmeskalin

madsmeskalin Torkonfoslak

Is PNG gone with Lion?

5. rolin

rolin Everything Visual!

Legacy Codecs

With Quicktime 7 installed, try this in the command line
    to unlock the legacy codecs…

Code:
    qtdefaults write LegacyCodecsEnabled yes
    This worked for me for the same problem but with Snow Leopard.

I have also read, that installing the latest version of Compressor brings back lot of the codecs.

6. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

Interesting, thanks for sharing that info!

7. viberation

viberation New Member

This is causing a huge issue with me. I usually render out of a different MBP (w/ Snow Leopard), but the drive looks like it's about to die now.

So I switched to my newer MBP (Lion), and sure enough...no export to PNG codec listed.

The weird thing is my VJ software (Modul8) on my Lion machine plays all my PNG compressed quicktimes.

Apple Support was no help. All I found was a thread devloving into an argument that PNG and JPEG were still image formats, and not for video. Huh? For those not understanding why PNG quicktime compression is so important. It allows for compression while still retaining an alpha channel (when using millions of colors).

This allows for transparent layers, and I rely on this heavily and have for many years.

In any case, I tried:

qtdefaults write LegacyCodecsEnabled yes
    That didn't work. I don't have a Compressor installer. So I guess I'll just try to get by until I can get my Snow Leopard MBP back from service. Surely though, there must be a solid solution out there.

8. vanakaru

You should check if your Library>Quicktime has all the codec's in it. You may need to transfer these from your previous mac(or system) - just drop them in (or reinstall?).
    This may not be necessary, but I have disabled Quicktime X as useless player that pops up needlessly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  9. laserxz

laserxz New Member

Has anyone been able to indentify which component is the Apple PNG codec in the Leopard system?

HD>Library>Quicktime is where the other codecs (.component)are kept..
    Is there anywhere else?

If we can replace that file in Lion we may get the PNG encoding option back..

The issue is with FCP and Motion (4 & 5) and Compressor 4.02. I can render png.mov's out of AE in Lion without problem..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. vanakaru

I think AE has its own set of codecs so I have been able to open files that Quicktime can't. I looked through my Libraries and I think that Perian includes it and many more.
    In short there are no component that has PNG anywhere in its name.

11. john01

john01 5 quids worth of italics

In your system settings select Quicktime and in the advanced settings you'll find a check box for "legacy" codecs

My system is in Japanese so I'm not sure if this terminology is entirely accurate