1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best VJ Software for Mac

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by radiophonic, Nov 10, 2008.

1. radiophonic

radiophonic New Member

Hi all,

I'm a motion gfx artist, designer & video editor and really want to get into VJ-ing. I've done loads of event visuals in the past, but want to take it a step further and VJ live.

Can anyone advise the best software for MAC (not bothered about cost) and the kit i might need to go with it (i understand the Edirol V4 is a must have)...along with anything else you might recommend.

A colleague of mine is trying to sell the MotionDive console, is this and the software any good? Just wondering what would a regular VJ buy?

Also...out of interest is a newish Macbook good enough for the job?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

2. Bas

Bas Visual Crescendo

Hello and welcome!

First of all you should check www.softwarevj.com .
    It's a vj-software comparisson site and a good source if you want to get started.

For hardware: look around here.
    You can have very complex set-ups with multiple sources and controllers, but also more basic set-ups.
    As simple as an laptop only.

A good start would be:
    Laptop (+ Midi Controller)
    Edirol v4
    Another source (Laptop/PC/DVD-Player etc.)
    And any camera for live input. (Always a good choice.)

(Off course, less = more, most of the time. What you lack on creativity, you can buy on gear. ;))

For the output:

I would make sure you could check up on all of your sources, and an master output.
    Most venues have projectors/screens allready set up, so I won't worry about buying a projector.

3. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

I'm afraid that there is no best, it depends what you want to do with it as they all work very differently. At the moment VDMX and Modul8 are probably the most extended ones. I suggest you download the demos and have a play.

4. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

5. Stivo

Stivo I've given money to VJForums

For everyone that's different but i suggest:
    Modul8

6. radiophonic

radiophonic New Member

thx all

thanks to everyone for their advise, very handy...im demoing a Mod8 now, looks like its the best for my needs!

one other quick question...i'm about to buy a new hard drive, what spec do you advise (speed) to get the best results in terms of dealing with video?

deep visual - scoped out your website and some of your tutorials...great stuff and very inspiring! I'm heading back to London at the start of 2009 (currently living in Hong Kong) so hope to be hiring the V4 from you in the near future!!!

thanks again everyone!