1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackmagic ATEM Switcher SDK now out.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lotech, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lotech

lotech video junkies

2. vade

vade New Member

I'm on the dev list, and sadly, it looks like a lot of functionality was pulled at the last minute (judging from what other devs have posted, I don't have an ATEM). Either way, this is good news.
  3. lotech

lotech video junkies

I guess if you could control basic input and mixer functions (fade, cut) I'd be happy. We have 2 BM switchers but only a single 1M/E panel (as they're 2x the price of a switcher) - it would be good if there was a simple, cheap way to get a fader and buttons for the switcher.

Add the dream of an iOS app also.
  4. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

I'm protoyping an arduino controller at the moment.

it will be opensource, likely component cost is around £300 (with nice switches like the BMD panel has) I might make a kit with the switches and PCB available for purchase, or i might not depending on interest.

Eitherway the PCB design will be downloadable, so others can make their own.

Currently the plan is for minimal functionality - program / preview cut buses. TBar (maybe) and buttons for take / cut. This might expand to include DSK functions.
  5. Armitage-tv

Armitage-tv Roman // Armitage.tv

I've made a quick look on it. Well documented and even a sample Xcode project is included, but I can't open it - Xcode crashes. Seems to be a Xcode cache bug on my machine (damn 4.2) ...

Anyhow, add midi/osc control on some basic functions looks like a easy job (at least on OSX).

I'm trying to open the sample project with Xcode 3.6 ...
  6. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

The xcode projects compiles fine on my mac (snowleopard xcode 3.2.6)
  7. Armitage-tv

Armitage-tv Roman // Armitage.tv

4.2.1 crashes during opening the project file, but got it run with on same version like you Tom.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  8. leolodreamland

leolodreamland chromatouch visuals

this will work for the atem television studio, right? how useful does does this make it as a vj tool now?
  9. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

It's a pretty good mixer, so long as you can cope with the limited resolution (no scalers so all inputs and outputs must be a single format - either NTSC or PAL or 720p50 or 720p60 1080i50 or 1080i60)

Having a mixer with proper keying could be great for VJs.

It's very cheap, but will likely spend at least the same again upgrading other things to work with the ATEM.
  10. leolodreamland

leolodreamland chromatouch visuals

but you'd spend that on scan converters anyway these days if you were using laptops with a v4 and the quality wouldn't be as good. i was thinking put all the laptops & dvds through it via hdmi, then squirt the result into a shuttle/htpc via hdmi with an intensity pro in it for postprocessing/video mapping. if there were live cameras they could be put into the v4 and mixed through the tvs as well. pal's fine by me if it's mostly digital. now there's a viable control method i'm seriously considering it.
  11. lotech

lotech video junkies

Yeah the TV studio is fine, although we've ended up spending almost as much as our 1 M/E (the next model up) to get the TV Studio to more a usable state.
    The 1 M/E is infinitely more useful as it has loads of similtanious output formats (including assignable AUX outputs), 1 analogue in and 2CH XLR based audio embedding (good for records).

After having both for 6 months the only thing I think is missing is a USB host port so you can store settings and media somewhere and the inability to (currently) change format setup without a PC.