1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting an ( analog) infrared CCTV to modul8 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benga, May 28, 2008.

1. benga

benga New Member

hello all,
    from a place where multiled infrared CCTV cameras are very cheap, but struggling to find a proper analog to digital converter for use with modul8 ( mac osx) in no light conditions... I've been searching online for the best converters and it's not that easy to get a clear picture, been pointed towards the PYRO A/V LINK and the Canopus ADVC-100, both way more expensive than the cams...
    would somebody with experience in connecting infrared analog surveillance cams to the mac help out with a few recommandations /advice ?

thanks in advance

all the best
    ben
  2. vanakaru

vanakaru I've given money to VJForums

I have not used IR cameras, but maybe the procedure is the same as for any analog cam. I am using rather old Dazzle external firewire converter that has Video and SVideo IN. Modul8 will see this as any other firewire cam and works great. Very little latency compared to USB cams.
    You could use DV camera with firewire out same way. It would be like digitizing video tapes - playback>record/pause. Use some kind of viewer to ensure input to your mac. Quicktime Pro will do it as well(File>Record Video). You can set it up with QT and M8 will have the same settings.
  3. benga

benga New Member

thanks for your answer. maybe i qhuld have specified that we're working in real time with camera- we need to have a live feed rom the analog cam going in to the computer.
    we're currently doing tests with a sony DCR-VX200E camera but it doesn't seem to allow us to input the analog's RCA into the DVcam and output at the same time. is this a special cam function ? in VCR mode I get the analog cam's output but once i plug in the firewire out in the computer it cuts the signal.
    we also just remembered that we have a Sony CR11 DV VCR, and were wondering if this could be useful in this context. We don't have it with us so it's not possible to test this.

we're also reading up on formac's Studio DV, but the point would be to save the money for these wonderful 24 led cams they have here, and avoid spending more on the capture device.

thanks again

ben
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

have a look in the camera menu
    see if you can find IEE out.
    if so set it to on..
  5. benga

benga New Member

oh...thanks a bunch. it wasn't my camera and I hadn't looked in the menu settings...works like a charm now :)

thanks again

b
    Last edited: May 30, 2008