1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting multiple projectors or displays to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by cneeraj, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cneeraj

cneeraj New Member

I have a MacBookPro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram, NVDIA GeForce 8600MGT 246 MB VRAM. I would like to know what is the best and the cheapest way of connecting my laptop to two projectors such that both will display the SAME visuals. Is Matrox DualHead2Go a solution for me? I am not interested in expanding my display to multiple screens but just show the same output on two separate projectors.
    Thank you

2. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

No, then the dualhead is NOT for you, just use the dvi to video adapter, use the composite and the svid output at the same time.

3. Gumby

Gumby I've given money to VJForums

4. flomotion

flomotion Panda Farmer

My personal preference is to go:

DVI > VGA (comes with macbook)
    VGA > S-VIDEO (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=35258&doy=18m4)
    S-VIDEO > S-VIDEO AMPLIFIER/SPLITTER (http://www.maplin.co.uk/free_uk_del...y_S-Video_AV_Distribution_Amplifier_36215.htm)
    S-VIDEO AMPLIFIER/SPLITTER > PROJECTORS

this way you get the cheapness of using S-VIDEO cable as well as being able to send the signal even further due to the amplifier.

It may not be the cheapest option but it's the most flexible and reliable i have found.

5. stulloyd

stulloyd Sometime Vj

Some projectors have a vga out.

Computer > projector > other projector

Benefit of 1024 x 768 in crisp vga.

stu

6. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

In Radioshack they have video dsitribuitors for composit and s-video. Very economic.

7. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

Why bother? The dvi to video dongles have 2 outs...

8. seex

seex Codeep visuals

The dongle has two outs, but using both of them means splitting the signal strength. Resulting in loss of contrast and colors, if long cable runs are feed with a weak signal, even loss of signal can occur.

Using a amplified splitter is the way to do this.

9. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

I almost always do exactly that, no probs so far. With long cables, svid or composite would be out of the question anyway... then it should really be vga or dvi.

10. cneeraj

cneeraj New Member

Thank you

Thank you for all your responses. The projector that the venue are already mounted at to separate locations at the location and have a composite cables that run for about 10 feet that can be plugged into the laptop. I am thinking of using a VGA splitter like Cables To Go Port Authority 2 VGA Video Splitter/Extender 4-Port Video splitter given the length of the cable.

11. Liquidmetro

Liquidmetro Positively Phototropic

Is your macbook pro the new unibody design with black keyboard??? If no, then forget VGA....you don't need it. Use the DVI-Video adapter from Apple for low cost. A composite video distribution amp is better:
    [​IMG]

Introducing VGA is better quality, yet more costly and the cables are heavier. It's worth taking a supply of S-Video/BNC/Phono connectors just in case. Most venues use BNC connectors for composite cable.

12. Gumby

The dongle doesn't work with the new ones anyway??!!poke!

13. Liquidmetro

Liquidmetro Positively Phototropic

That is why it was my first question followed by "If no......." :p

14. Gumby

Ahh Touché

15. EYKON

EYKON DIGITAL MASS

does anyone have the new 17"

has anyone found how to v/out from the new 17" as i have just bought one and found out that apple haven't made a micro dvi to composite/svhs adapter, I am extremely worried any suggestions would be grately appreciated at i'm stumped! :grrr:

16. vjBrye

vjBrye yup

I do this every weekend. "Daisy chain" with vga cables.

17. EYKON

EYKON DIGITAL MASS

I hear wot cher saying bout the vga, but I use a V4 so need composite or svhs.

18. EYKON

EYKON DIGITAL MASS

I bought a mini display port to vga adapter and a vga to composite/svhs put them together and...........no luck. Now I'm really stumped, does anyone know of an adac that does hdmi to composite/svhs.....cheap! That's always the key(I spent all my money on the Lappy)!

19. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

you'll need a scan converter.

The V8 has a nice one built in.
    Its still possible to buy the previous MBPs which are cheaper and better for visuals.

20. hiddenedge

hiddenedge New Member

I can remember everyone complaining about dvi when it first emerged, when displayport is fully adopted it'll become much simpler.

One thing to watch out for with the display port dvi-d adapters is that its digital only(hence the d).

Personally I think apple should be ashamed of the poor performance of their wireless might mouse, possibly the worst spending of £40 in my life.

21. EYKON

EYKON DIGITAL MASS

Thank you Deepvisual, this is crazy as i've always used a mac with svhs out for sooooooo long I can't remember the last time I touched a scan converter!

22. punkcake

punkcake New Member

i have a mac book pro too and using resolume.
    What resolution do i need to project my stuff on a projector.

And also i could use for only projecting on one projector, the cable that coame with my mac: converter to VGA ?

23. iro3

iro3 See and be scene...

Some blurb from the apple.com website:

This is the Mini-DisplayPort to DVI-D single-link adapter.

DVI-D single-link means that ONLY DIGITAL signals will be output, with the maximum supported resolution at 60Hz being 1920x1200 (2.75 megapixels to be exact).

The adapter easily plugs into the Mini-DisplayPort jack of new aluminum unibody Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and the other end is female DVI-D. Be aware that you cannot physically fit your DVI-I cables into the DVI-D female end. However, since all 24 pins are open, DVI-D dual-link cables can physically fit just as well as DVI-D single-link cables, and can be used to carry the SINGLE-LINK signal to your TV or monitor.

There has also been a firmware upgrade for this adapter - it solves a lot of the connectivity problems.

24. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

iro3 I got lost, can you repeat that again?

25. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

[​IMG]You can clearly see this is a DVI-D socket without the 4 blade pins at the right hand side which would carry analog VGA output...

[​IMG]This is the analog output "adaptor" - I suspect from its size and from the fact that apple recently released a firmware update for it that it is not an adaptor but is an active digital to analog scanconverter, which is self powered via the minidispalyport. The recent firmware update (which requires the adaptor to be connected whilst it runs) is pretty conclusive proof that this is an active device (scanconverter) rather than a pasive device like the old apple DVI>VGA dongle.

It's also a good indication that apple won't bother with an SVideo output for these machines. It would be wise for people who have a unibody mac to get a DVI-d scanconverter rather than an VGA scanconverter as using the VGA would result in a double conversion which will not be very good for quality.