1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Question

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by Nitronic, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Nitronic

Nitronic New Member

I'm running an older Macbook from 2008, pretty barebones for VJing but I cant afford a new one at the moment, I have my first gig coming up, I've practiced for about a half hour at a time, not had any problems and thats even with my wifi on and running a web browser in the backround, if I do a gig and have it running at top effeciency, will running it for 6 hours be much more taxing on my computer than a half hour or an hour?
  2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

most likely, yes.

its not very sensible to use a machine all night without having tested to make sure it can do it first.
  3. Nitronic

Nitronic New Member

well I'm planning on it
  4. Nitronic

Nitronic New Member

I just ran it for 5 minutes with the activity moniter it was using 60 CPU, about 60 MB of real memory, and 2.1 GB of virtual memory

anyone want to tell me what that means in laymens terms
  5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

That means you have tested it using a measure you don't understand.

Maybe you should go round someones house who is a DJ and spend an evening mixing visuals while they mix music. This could even be fun, and you'll learn not only how your computer behaves after 6 hours of visuals, but also how your brain behaves after 6 hours of video mixing.

You might find that either the computer or your brain can't cope with 6 hour long sets of full intensity and that you need some backup (like a DVD to play whilst you reboot your brain and take your computer outside for a break)