1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D.I.Y. Midi question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blank footage, Apr 5, 2008.

1. blank footage

blank footage buen proveche

anyone here make their own midi controller?
    im at the moment making a midi controller based on the midibox64
    just asking whether its possible to transmit 2 of the same midi signals to 2 different computers using only 1 midi (1 ic core)?(since resolume has no midi out:()
    so i could control two different softwares on two different computers using only 1 midi controller.
    if its possible, could anyone give schematics on how its done?

thanks guys;)
  2. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

why don't you get yourself a Midi Thru Box?
    [​IMG]

if you're making your own controller, you might be able to have 2 of the same midi output as part of your design. or if you're using a MIDI-usb interface for a computer, you should be able to assign the output of your dongle (assuming it's got at least 1 out) to be a "Thru" connection, hence replicating your incoming signal.

i use one of these to send a signal from my DIY midi controller to Live and Arkaos on 2 separate powerbooks.

hope this helps,

:yep:
    dav
  3. blank footage

thanks dav
    i think that just what i need
    i was intending to control resolume n live with the controller
    o yea, i see that it only has midi. mine uses usb to connect to the computer.is that a problem?
    cheers
  4. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

you've heard about these, right?
    [​IMG]
    or maybe you mean that you're making a MIDI controller with no midi out?
    can you provide more info about your controller design?

:crazyeyes
    dav
  5. blank footage

well, here i cant find a place to buy a midi 'plughole' thingy so i use a db9 plug and jack (got the midi usb cable, but had to cut the midi out jack to put the db9 jack on)
    its just a controller based on midi box 64, nothing too complex (still learning, and this is my first).just my intention was to control live and resolume (on seperate computers) with this one controller. what i heard from friends is that if i install another midi out plug while using only 1 ic core, the controller 'gets confused' and crashes.
  6. Hambone

Hambone New Member

Behringer BCR2000.

I've got a Faderfox LX2 plugged into a BCR2000 MIDI in, then into Live via USB on an MBP for audio. The MIDI out from the BCR2000 goes to a MIDI interface on a G5 running Live for Arkaos video and DMX lighting, and to a PC for remote camera pan/tilt/zoom control. The BCR2000 is VERY useful, has a built-in multiport MIDI controller, and is dirt-cheap.

By routing the BCR through the audio computer then on to the video computer, you can manipulate the MIDI signal in various ways before it gets to the video computer, and assign MIDI controls to either or both computers from a single controller.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  7. levon

levon Headless Chicken

8. blank footage

thanks levon.i think thats exactly what i need
    cheers

thanks guys for all the inputs