1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancers Masked and Tracked

Discussion in 'Inspiration' started by cat, Feb 2, 2011.

1. cat

cat Senior Moments

2. Scratchpole

Scratchpole Hmm still thinking...

Very impressive, but I cannot quite tell from the photo's what you did in terms of the tracking/masking... any video to come?
  3. cat

cat Senior Moments

Yeah should be coming along soon, my battery just went as I was getting my lores off the camera, but it was filmed by Strukt, for documentation which will be higher quality and edited rather than a shot from the back of the room... The dancers were lit by the projections, tracked for particle systems, for most of the scene's, except the uv, and pyro bits, and the hoops were tracked and capsule gfx projected onto them.
  4. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

awesome! baffles me how you can motion track so many objects.
  5. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Looks great cat....what were you using for the warping/how many machines etc and what material is on the cylinders.
  6. cat

cat Senior Moments

All done in vvvv, 1 machine with 2 outputs for the Cylinders, 1 for the tracking.
    Cylinders were half circles of wood top and bottom, with a grey projection film stretched between.
    @asterix, its all camera tracking, things appear as blobs with id's and x/y positions, same as multitouch stuff really, were using custom tracking software though for the hoop detection, all that was a bit tricky!
  7. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Cheers cat. Very nice.
  8. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

Loved it. looks PRO
  9. I'm really amazed by this... can't wait for a video to see it in action !

How did you manage communication bewteen the video tracker and your projection software ? I don't know vvvv in fact...
  10. cat

cat Senior Moments

Some documentation from Strukt...
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  11. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

one word: wow !
  12. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

VERY impressive. Congrats, cat.
  13. many2

many2 Active Member

Very impressive indeed ! Congratulations :)
  14. visualove

visualove New Member

Great work!
  15. DWK

DWK Member

Brilliant work mate. Congratulations. The behind the scenes documentation is really informative too in its simplicity. I look forward to trying out a few of your ideas.
  16. cat

cat Senior Moments

Glad you like it :)
  17. -[eM Tv]-

-[eM Tv]- visual content/e addict

very nice and pro result indeed !
    loved the straightforward behind-the-scene documentation too.

this live performer masking and tracking issue is getting mor precisely addressed everyday now, it's really interesting to see the various techniques that are being used.

you were obviously working with very professional tools here (as far as beamers, cameras and infra-red projectors are concerned at least). do you have an idea of the global cost of the installation ?

in a much smaller scale, 1minute69 (young collective I'm member of) started working on an interactive audio visual performance involving body projection mapping. I'd be happy to get some feedback from you all about it :

[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/19670106[/ame]

in this workshop, the tracking and masking is done in Isadora with kinect + quartz composer plug-in (video projection is also controlled in Isadora)

can you tell us what cable type was used between camera / computer and computer / beamer ? and if you encountered some latency issues with the devices involved, or not really (i.e. too subtle to be seen by the human eye) ?

thanks in advance, and congratulations again for this great great work !
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  18. cat

cat Senior Moments

Thats really nice :)
    Latency is always an issue with tracking, theres delay between camera and pc, delay as its tracked, and then delay from pc to screen with the beamer too, you just have to enlarge your masks and hope that its enough!
    I'm afraid I've no idea of budget for this as I was wasn't involved in the organisation of it...
    The camera was a ui gige cam, and was etherneted to the pc's, then DVI to the beamers
  19. -[eM Tv]-

well, thanks already for these answers !

as far as the latency issue is concerned, it's an interesting and quite unusual idea that you bring up when you say "you just have to enlarge your masks and hope that its enough!"...

never imagined such a solution, and actually I think I don't really understand what you mean ?
  20. darknes23

darknes23 booster boostin'

@cat and -[eM Tv]-:

WOW. Stunning and inspirational. Thanks for sharing!
  21. cat

cat Senior Moments

22. -[eM Tv]-

congrats, Cat !

in the meantime, 1minute69 presented the B0DYSC4PES performance at the Live Performers Meeting in Rome.

here is a video of what it looked like :

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013