1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dj feeding visuals to a VJ

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by incentive, Jul 28, 2011.

1. incentive

incentive New Member

I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help me. I’m basically trying to figure out how you can link up audio and visuals so that when a DJ cues a track, the relevant visuals will automatically be fed to the VJ to manipulate. Essentially meaning the VJ won’t have to figure out what the track is and then load the relevant visuals.

Is this possible and if so what equipment would I need?

2. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

Yes it is and nothing much more than a cable to go from device that is serving the visuals to the VJ video mixer.

Welcome to the forum. I have deleted your 2nd identical post as most regular users will check on the new posts tab to see what has been posted and questions like this normally dont get over looked from a single posting!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. incentive

incentive New Member

Thank you!

Sorry i'm pretty inept with this stuff could you give a bit more detail? So if the DJ has DVJs and has videos/images as well as audio on the DVDs then we just connect the DVJs to the VJs mixer? Does this mean the visuals will have to be embedded in the audio file somehow?

4. visualove

visualove New Member

The DJ is playing the audio from DVD's. So yes the audio is embedded in the video. The decks have massive RAM to enable video scratching. You can feed the video out of the players to your mixer inputs. The players play audio-only CD's too, so you could have zero, one or two active video feeds to incorporate with your material on a track by track basis. That's why if the DJ is sourcing video, they should share the set list with you ahead of time and keep in good communication during the set.

Luckily, so far, most audio track producers are too lazy to create video.

5. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

I hate the internet sometimes. I just lost a really detailed post.
    Visualove has nailed it basically for the DVJ side of it. There are other options though if you dont already have DVJ's that are maybe more cost effective and open to changing methods and styles.
    Serato Scratch
    Virtual DJ
    Tom will probably be along in a minute a suggesting that VJAMM is still probably the best for sync and video performance in an AV orientated app.
    Ableton and Resolume Avnue sync'd using midi.
    There are many and varied ways of approaching this. Maybe it might be better to tell us where you are actually at, what your skills are and we can suggest a potential way forward for you.

6. incentive

incentive New Member

Thanks for all the help so far. Bascially i work for an artist management company so it's actually for a professional DJ and a professional VJ. At the moment we have a new VJ who isn't too familiar with the songs so it sometimes takes him a while to figure out what the song is before he can select the relevant visuals. So i'm bascially looking for a way to link the audio and visuals so when our DJ plays or cues up a track it will send the visuals to our VJ who will then be able to manipulate the visuals. Hope that's clear.

Thanks

7. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

Hmmm I think you may be trying to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
    Put them on wireless talk back or clear call. That way the DJ can tell the VJ what the next tune will be allowing the VJ to get up the next deck of clips and be there ready and waiting for the mix.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. nickweb

nickweb I'M NOT THE DJ!!!

I was going to suggest this, most good places should have a comms solution inplace and you can 'call' eachother or leave the mics on constantly, enabling communication - thats if you're not close to eachother. One huge issue might be the DJ 'just taking the headset off for a sec' and forgetting to put it back on - happens almost every night I'm at the club, so annoying.

One other solution I was going to suggest, and this is something I'm thinking about doing myself, is shifting my gear to next to the DJ if theres room, the advantage being if one person doesnt look energetic for a while, the other one can - thus getting the crowd excited again.

9. Pesh

Pesh Pixel Tosser

expecting a DJ to be on comms to the VJ throughout his set is pretty mental :D

10. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

For those few seconsds to pass the info I see no problem but now you mention it to make them keep the set on when trying to cue and beat match would be worth even paying for.

11. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

that's why you use a TXT or SMS type service, moslty just to Q breakdown and such. But really a good VJ shouldn't need it.

12. FingerHuman_00

FingerHuman_00 Edible video

He could just look over their shoulder at what the next track cued is, personally I wouldn't have a clue what it is in most cases anyway and would prefer just to adlib it, if your VJ is regularly working with the same dj it'll take him about 3 or 4 gigs before he knows his set inside out and can hear it in his sleep. If not, there's plenty of other VJs looking for work.

13. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

So surely the professional DJ and the professional VJ could have a conversation with you and try and come up with a better solution.

Have they even talked to each other about what they what to do or get done?

Isn't it part of the job of your professional VJ to suggest solutions here?

Also what is your budget? Do all the DVJs have video? What about when the DJ plays a track without a video?

14. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

When you say "Professional" and "we" then it sounds you may have a budget, 2 ipads networked with the probable/available tracklist all the DJ has to do is highlight the track being played. If the DJ is using tracktor or other related DJ software a simple desk share would allow the VJ to see what tracks are being loaded. If your actually in a mickey mouse outfit then 2 large catering sized and empty marvel tins with a length of string. If your professional DJ is insisting on specific visual tracks then tell him to be more professional and start doing AV sets.