1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DJ on one laptop, VJ on another laptop

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by abbeynormal, Jan 25, 2012.

1. abbeynormal

abbeynormal New Member

I'm a newbie, and have been trying to figure out what's best hardware and software for my scenario. I have a video editing background in Final Cut, but I'm having some trouble wrapping my head on how to keep two separate laptops in sync.

I want to VJ on my MacBook Pro w/ 10.7 with a triplehead (or something similar) to send video to two or three projectors. My bandmate wants to use Reason 5 on his Windows 7 PC to perform music live and somehow send sync messages to my MacBook so my MacBook knows when to start the video track, etc.

He already has clips that are synced to the bpm, I would just need to put them in a program like Resolume, GrandVJ, etc. and then be able to mess with them once they are triggered, which software would be best to do that with, and has the most expandability, but not too much of a learning curve? Would we be using MIDISync? Or are there other sync options? Is there any 3rd party software/hardware needed/desired to keep our machines in sync without much latency? I only have a 25 key Axiom to trigger stuff with now, but eventually would like to upgrade to something like a Jazzmutant Lemur a la NIN circa 2008 craziness.

Also, would he need to use something like Ableton Live instead of Reason? Since Reason really isn't made for live gigging use.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

does reason actualy output midi? i know that it never used too.

*edit* it only has rewire out - personaly ive not seen a vj software which provides rewire.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. abbeynormal

abbeynormal New Member

Ok, so Ableton it is. Any recommendations for the VJ software as far as what I want to do with it?

Would it be necessary to tack on additional hardware to make sure that the sync between the Ableton PC and VJ Mac works properly with little latency?

Is there something better than a triplehead to through the output of the VJ software to multiple projectors?
  4. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

you havnt described anything which is specific to any piece of software.

what graphics card does the mac have? does it have shared memory or dedicated memory?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

i assume you know lemur is available on IOS now btw.
  6. abbeynormal

abbeynormal New Member

Some clips are already synced to BPM. But in the future I would want to be able to import a clip and sync it to the BPM on my Mac. In my current situation no audio will be playing from my Mac, I would want the Midi out from his PC with Ableton to sync to my Mac to trigger video, but I still would want some control over what I can do live with video even though his PC will be triggering when each video plays when.

Will Resolume 3 do all of this for me? If so, will I need any additional hardware to cut back on latency.

I do know it is available for iOS, and it's cheaper than finding an actual JazzMutant box. This is still one of my favorite things I've ever seen live:

My Macbook Pro has: 2.2 Ghz Quad-core i7, 4GB ram, 7200rpm hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 6770M video card (i think, not in front of my machine right now), thunderbolt connection for external hard drive
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  7. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

pretty much every vj software can be controlled by midi.

resolume can do it ( your machine will be capable of running it ), although id reccomend version 4 over 3 as it has huge improvements. most softwares will also support the matrox multi output units ( there is an ap to test capability of machine on the matrox website - but id guess your machine will be ok )

it might be worth checking out some of the options on http://www.softwarevj.com/ as everyone has thier own way of working, its often hard to say which is "best"
  8. abbeynormal

abbeynormal New Member

9. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

the same but using either a midi cable, a lan connection or a wifi connection between the two machines to transmit the data.
  10. abbeynormal

abbeynormal New Member

Thanks for all your help
  11. fryup

fryup Mike/The Midi Thief

Live is a great program, but not the best for spontaneous DJing. You might want to look at Traktor. If you DJ is used to Live and wants to preplan the set anyway you will be fine with Live. Use the MIDI clock to sync the BPM and connect the two laptops with an ethernet cable if possible and setup a Midi network between the two computers. OSX should handle this without any additional software but I don't know how it works on the PC side. You can also use MIDI interfaces + cables, but it's just more gear to worry about. Resolume and Modul8 are good VJ softwares for this and they have a low learning curve.
  12. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

I'm now in the process of making a midi over LAN/wifi (with osc) program. If it's finished I'll share it. (there are some other midi over internet programs, but they always crash on my computers)
  13. fryup

Is this program tied to a specific platform?
  14. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

It uses processing, so I think it will work on windows/osx/linux (but I didn't test if the libraries work on osx or linux).
  15. fryup

My recollection is that the midi libraries are not cross platform. But maybe there are new / better ones now? You can always ask VJ Fader what he uses for iMixHD.
  16. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

He uses themidibus, I use rwmidi.

I think it will work, java works with a virtual machine. For each platform you have another java runtime that runs the virtual machine.
    So your midi libraries will work through java.sound.midi and the emulator takes care of how osx will handle those commands.
  17. fryup

Ok. I used rwmidi, it's pretty simple but I didn't think it was easy to make it work on all platforms. What platform are you developing on?

It would be pretty cool if would automagically work over CoreMidi when running Processing on an iPad. But then I just remembered that the developer of the upcoming PR0C3551N6 app for iOs said specifically that there would be no loading of libraries.
  18. dubxile

dubxile New Member

I've managed to use midivid triggered by tracktion midi output, rewired to reason 6.
    It works fine but i prefer to edit my midi in reason, I'm looking at using another solution that converts reason cv to audio via a thor then output audio to a small batch program that will convert that audio signal back to midi.
    this way i can edit the video triggering directly inside reason.
    Heres a link to Peffs cv to midi on youtube

list=UUcCMD6n1h3ogXEJGKE0vF-Q&index=10&feature=plcp"]Reason Control Voltage to MIDI Out - MaxMSP5 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013