1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need a scan converter? Why?

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by armdias, Nov 26, 2002.

1. armdias

armdias New Member

I'm a newbie in VJ and in fact, i'll be doing my first "show" on december in a local bar (not really a show, but just play videos while 2 other DJ supply the music).

I'm using resolume in my laptop. The laptop has a GeForce 440, 32MB graphics card. Since the laptop has a second monitor out port, i plug a monitor to simulate the real video projection.

And now it comes my doubt. Many people talk about the scan converter. What is it and what it does? Can't i just plug a video projector to the second monitor output? Will the image be bad?
  2. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

no, actually an output from VGA to a projector is discustingly higher rez than the "TV out" of a scan converter...
    the need for a "TV out" arises when one wants to record output to VHS/etc or when one is using a video mixer...its rather dissapointing when you "upgrade" your rig to include a video mixer only to have a noticable sacrifice in projected image quality...but whatever....

wait, doesn't your video card have an S-Video output? If so, then you don't even really need a scan converter unless you get black bars (underscan)...but proper drivers should fix that...I think...
  3. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator