1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down for 4 years.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hookturn, Feb 19, 2008.

1. hookturn

hookturn Reset

Well the "Rider" has been sentenced.

4 years in a Dubai jail.

Grooverider
    The 40-year-old DJ has been with Radio 1 since 1998
    BBC Radio 1 DJ Grooverider has been jailed for four years in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, for cannabis possession.

The DJ - real name Raymond Bingham - was arrested in November 2007 for flying in for a nightclub gig with 2.16g of cannabis in his luggage.

Bingham denied smuggling drugs, claiming he had left the cannabis in a trouser pocket and forgotten about it.

"Grooverider has paid a very high price for a serious mistake," a spokesman for Radio 1 said.

The 40-year-old has been with the station since 1998 and hosted the weekend drum 'n' bass show with fellow DJ Fabio.

The programme, which has broadcast without him since his arrest, will continue under the title Radio 1's Drum 'n' Bass Show With Fabio.

Grooverider had been employed on a freelance basis and has not been paid by the station since November.

Four years is the minimum sentence for drug trafficking in the UAE.

In the last 12 months, 64 British nationals have been arrested in the UAE for drugs offences

The DJ, who called his arrest "ridiculous" in an interview last month, has two weeks to appeal.

"I must have forgotten the spliff," he said in the interview. "It was a small amount. Back home I would not even get prosecuted."

BBC News report

2. 6071842

6071842 I've given money to VJForums

Crazyness man! i hadnt heard about this! bloody shame really. :(

3. cat

cat Senior Moments

I saw in the paper that some guy, changing planes in dubai, not staying there was caught with 0.01g of cannabis on his shoe, 4 years, its the flat rate penalty for possession over there, same with some prescription drugs, you have to be very careful if you fly through there!

4. dreamteck

dreamteck Happyearthlingwithamnesia

thats so messed up

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  5. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

It was even less than that. 0.003 grams

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7235467.stm

6. hookturn

hookturn Reset

7. MrJustin

MrJustin I've given money to VJForums

Thats because you can be done for trafficking drugs there even if its in your bloodstream, so if you've smoked a joint in the last few weeks, you're smuggling cannabis. Retroactive something its called.

"roll us a fat one, raymond"

-"yeah sure, let me just let a few pints of my own blood and extract the THC..."

:confused:

8. Liquidmetro

Liquidmetro Positively Phototropic

I was VJing for one of my regular nights when this happened and he didn't show. Fabio and Grooverider are a dnb institution both representing very different styles within the genre. Shame he has become a scapegoat and as yet there are no plans for deportation. Let's hope the appeal changes things.

9. Bokonon

Bokonon SonicSlice

10. Liquidmetro

Liquidmetro Positively Phototropic

First time I have heard about a 'celebrity' facing a sentence like this in dubai. This case has probably had more media coverage than if it was a member of the general public. Whilst he is not the first, this case is certainly high profile so would be the perfect opportunity to come down harder than normal.

11. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Tragic really. I would suggest that the judiciary will be using his fame to make an example. I recommend he doesn't appeal immediately. Check out Schapelle Corby.
    They even found the culprit who hid the drugs in her bag.

12. Architects of Tomorrow

Architects of Tomorrow Custom User Title

That is a shame

You do not even need to have any drugs on you, I read that if you are given a drug test and fail that you automatically go to jail in Saudi.
    Talk about tough drug laws - From what I understand most of the hash comes from that area. - That sucks for grooverider. I hope he can overcome this situation. Thank god for legal Hawaiian Pakaloco :)

13. vdmoKstaTi

vdmoKstaTi Seems to be Right Now

Surrender your personal freedoms to corrupt governments all over. They own you anyway, have you filled out your tax this year yet?

MEh!

14. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

yeah, that's right.. what Grig said!

... Meh!!!

okay cats and dogs, if ya ever find yrself in the same situation, who do ya bribe?

every single one of those first five officials that actually are involved in the case. bribe to let you go??

no way.

to begin with, bribe to keep the story from going public, because if it does, then there are no more bribe opps.

so, once you have silenced the media, then bribe for release.. this ight only work in asia i guess.

15. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

don't go to the fucking UAE! which bit of this don't you get hippies? they don't want people like you there.

In south east asia then you bribe the cop that has caught you. Do not get taken to the poilice station, by then it is too late.

TBH grooverider is a fucking idiot - everyone knows the law is really harsh in UAE - he should of checked every single pocket or just brought a whole new wardrobe. If your planning on going to places where they cut peoples hands off for theft you should be a bit more aware.

16. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

it may sound harsh, but that is almost exactly what i have been saying.... same example too.

in one way i do feel sorry for him and his family, but on the other hand he was downright silly to put himself in the situation. in a lot of respects, our laws are very laid back compared to other countrys, somethign which a lot of people seem to take for granted.

its common sense to be aware of things like extreme laws when visiting other places.

17. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Well I jsut told my travel agent, to NEVER book me on flights going through there.

18. dreamteck

very wise morph.

My Brother is an opthamologist was offered a one year contract job at United Arab Emirates hospital. He was so excited and i had my work cut out for me explaining to him there laws and what life will be like there for a westerner.

no alcohol, a deep hatred of us, ninjas walking around, kids getting killed for stealing ect..

I was TERRIFIED he would go there.. thank F*ck we all talked him out of it

Unless you're Ahmed, why any sane person would want to go to those lands is beyond comprehension. Like Tom said, you almost can't feel sorry for someone dumb enough to even want to go there for a minute

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  19. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

The thought of being jailed over some seeds from a sandwich is jsut insane.

20. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

Grooverider can go f*ck himself. Class A idiot.

He had 2.16 grams of Cannabis on him. He was a twat. So whatever. The media's attention should be more focused on the other people imprisoned over there for sweet F A

For example my friend Diz.
    http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=22990
    Had LEGAL Jeg Lag drugs on him. Recently got moved to prison.

Or the other dude who served 4 years for having 0.002grams of Cannabis on him. Basically the same size as a grain of sugar! Which could have got onto his shoe at any point from anyone.

21. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

exactly - i feel much more sorry for these people who are clearly the victims of a racisit system than for someone who was actually breaking the law.

22. MrJustin

MrJustin I've given money to VJForums

Hmmm... where to start??? :rolleyes:

Firstly, as an opthamologist, i doubt your brother would have run into a lot of trouble in the uae. Tom was referring to 'hippies', not headhunted medical professionals.

"No Alcohol".??!! - In most of the uae a foreign national has plenty of places they can go and buy/drink alcohol, bars, off licenses, their home. Or did your brother want the freedom to drink his XXXX sitting beside the road?

"A deep hatred of us" - i have friends who've worked/lived in saudi and heard little to nothing to support this, especially in places like dubia, where many are rather fond of the inordinate wealth the western world has brought there.

"ninjas walking around" Right thats it, you're an idiot.

23. dreamteck

k i deserve the idiot bit about the ninja comment.. i expected it... but i'll choose not to believe you about all the rest k chum ? :)

24. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

Saudi is the really bad place.
    the UAE is a little more friendly, but not much.

while I was in abu dhabi, it was fashionable for gangs of arabs to kick westerners to death. It happened twice during the month i was there. When locals mentioned this, they were of the opinion that it was perfectly fine to beat foriegners to death as they probably deserved it - as long as you were a UAE national and well connected you would never get arrested, whereas if westerners were involved in traffic accidents they were punished just for being involved irrespective of whose fault it was. there was also a fuss when a foreign air hostesses complained about a 70 year old saudi who had just married a terrified 8 year old indian girl who was with him on the plane. The air hostess got the sack of course.
    and finally.
    the religious police in saudi closed down a western school and arrested all the kids for having a nativity play.

our friends in the Gulf.
    but they have lots of oil so they don't need either democracy or freedom.

25. BIOPTIX

BIOPTIX User#7

A mate of mine works out there as a landscape architect and he's loving it. This is a bloke who describes himself as an alcoholic so it's not quite as bad as you make out. However, there are always horror stories wherever you go and you should properly inform yourself of the laws and customs before entering a foreign culture, especially if emigrating.

Grooverider was foolish, he's a legend but must be way out of touch with reality if that's his attitude. How often do you go through customs in ANY airport with a spliff in your pocket? It's asking for trouble.

I heard traces of ganja stayed in your bloodstream for up to a year after using it. Always best to plan your trips in advance...

Sorry to hear about your mate dvnt, that really is a horror story.

26. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

to clarify further my point about this - i'm not saying "don't go to Dubi" I'm saying do at least a little research before you go anywhere and accept the fact that you might not be as wellcome as you'd like to be.

Travel is a great learning experiance - going to jail is possibly a less useful learning experiance!

27. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

seeing as we are on the subject, horry stories of being shaken down by bent cops are normal in most parts of the world. getting a years salary off a hippy tourist is childs play as they know the embassy wont back up someone who looks dodgy or has been seen smoking dope the week before.

not trusting anyone is always a good policy. I have had two very good friends fitted up with a kilo of heroin by a local they had been with for 3 weeks and had come to trust.
    it cost them £20,000 each to bribe their way out of thailand, which first involved their parents re-mortgaging the house and flying out with the money in a suitcase.

even in europe, we had the sniffer dogs on the tour bus on the swiss / italian border. they found a pipe, got the tour manager into the police station and put his wallet on the table, they made him turn around and when he turned back, the wallet had magically emptied of cash - around 2000 euros.

These aren't isolated incidents, but part of a regular pattern of bent cops getting huge amounts of cash fast by setting up naive tourists.

28. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

Whilst the world is beautiful place.

It is also a severly fucked up one.

29. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Four years is still fucked. My partner came to Australia from NZ. Wasn't till she arrived home she realised that in her diary was a marijuana leaf from years ago - just stored as a memento. Imagine if you had a bit of crumb in your jacket, or copped a whiff from the crowd of it at a concert the night you flew out.

It should not be the right of the government to control what we can or cannot feel.

And why should you be robbed of four years of your life for carrying a tiny amount of doober.

30. BIOPTIX

BIOPTIX User#7

You are right it is fucked up BUT "the" government is not "our" government.

It may not seem right to our western eyes but foreign countries are entitled to their own laws, even religious ones.

If you don't like them don't go there or learn to obey the rules. Or would you rather bomb them into a secular democracy?