1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dslr for live stream

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madsmeskalin, May 3, 2012.

1. madsmeskalin

madsmeskalin Torkonfoslak

Im in th market for a dslr camera, but would like it to be as flexible as possible. Some of my clients wants a live stream, but in my experience usb webcams give bad quality especially in low-light conditions. Is it possible to use dslr's for live streaming? Is it limited to certain manufacturers or models? I was looking at the panasonic gh2 and would use it with resolume.
  2. vanakaru

vanakaru I've given money to VJForums

I would test MXO2 (Mini) with GH2. I tried with Pentax K-5 HDMI input to MacBook Pro, but I was not really sure if I did it right or K-5 is not suitable for this.
    BTW Sony PS3 eyecam is rather good USB device.
    So are security and old video cams via named MXO2.
  3. olivepixel

olivepixel New Member

4. madsmeskalin

madsmeskalin Torkonfoslak

Thank you so much for your advice, I will definitly look into the blacmagic capture cards :)
  5. lotech

lotech video junkies

We have a GH2, which seemed to be the best static/wide camera for the money. In live situations it also suffers from the same problems all sub $US3000 cameras have - namely through lack of physical buttons and a counterintuitive GUI that was designed by a robot, for a robot.

Also although the manual and menus say otherwise, it can't output 720P via HDMI and will only ever output 1080i (which may or may not be an issue).

Oh thanks @olivepixel - good link!
    Last edited: May 8, 2012