1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual 1080i outputs from MBP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevefromNewcastle, May 4, 2012.

1. stevefromNewcastle

stevefromNewcastle New Member

Hi Everyone I have a couple of gigs I am doing abroad this year and rather than fly my 250kg dual MacPro rig I was hoping I could do this off 2x MBP. I need to output a screen feed to projectors and a conductors feed to a monitor on stage both "full HD" and I need to be able to switch to backup for both feeds. I was hoping to use an Atem TV studio instead of a matrix switcher as it is cheap small and could be used on lots of other jobs.

I have used my digital triplehead2go to output 2x1080p signals but the Atem TV studio requires 1080i inputs which I can't get out of the TH2G, anyone got any ideas that might solve this without a suitcase full of scalers?
    Cheers
    Steve
  2. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

TVone 1T-C2-750 can do this
  3. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

can do what?

to be honest i'm unsure of what the question is really?

are you talking about using 2 ATEMs here?

there are a few ways i can think of doing the task in hand. Give me a call if you like Steve
  4. devonmiles

devonmiles Midi: the language of God

i guess he wants to attach two MBPs to a vga switcher which is connected to a dualhead or triplehead. in case MBP one running the show halts or crashes he wants to be able to seamlessly switch to the secon MBP running the same show as a backup.
    the tvone has proven to be usable in this configuration but would be considered the second weakest part in the chain, right after the triplehead ;)
  5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

the TVOne cannot switch 3840x1080 so that would not work.

It seems to me he was wanting to switch the outputs of the TH2go using the ATEM(s).

That won't work either due to the lack of 1080i on the TH2go.

I would do one of the following options.

Either use a dual-link dvi matrix upstream of a datapath X4 (not a TH2go!) this would need to have a high bandwidth signal path. Gefen do one which is quite affordable, but it has only Rs232 / IR control so is maybe less than ideal for backup switching under pressure.

Or use a single link matrix downstream of a th2go on each mac. (obviously you'd need 2x th2go)

Really I think you'd be best off dropping the resolution to something a bit more realistic - 3840x1080 is a huge file to play on a laptop, maybe latest 17" MBP with an SSD in will manage, but i'd hesitate to recommend it without trying first.

Do you need to playback from a computer? Maybe 2x Hyperdeck Pro would be the answer? (though you will want to try before you buy as it's not certain they will have all their listed features on release!!)
  6. stevefromNewcastle

stevefromNewcastle New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry about the confusion. I have 2 MBPs and I am trying to find a way to output 2x 1080i outputs from each of the MBPs. I can output 2x 1080p images using a TH2G digital. Playback runs smooth and works well, but I need 2 x1080i for the Atem, will the datapath of the chinese copy of the TH2G output 1080i?

I have used a matrix switcher in the past but I can buy a Atem TV studio for about the same as hiring an HDMI/DVI matrix for the time.

Cheers
    Steve
  7. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

An Atem TVS will not switch 2 inputs to 2 separate outputs though.

I will test the chinese2takeaway and the datapath into the Atem TVS for you next week.
  8. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

With the 1T-C2-750 you have 2 options:
    -use a lower resolution that the 1T-C2 can handle (it can handle 2x720p). Will take a lot less resources from your computer.
    So Macbooks --> 1T-C2-750 --> datapath X4 or dualhead2go

-use 2x a 1T-C2-750 and for each macbook a dualhead2go. You controll them both manual (with the fade button) or with iMixHD and a serial port splitter (software or hardware).

I don't have experience with other hardware.
  9. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

Doesn't the bigger ATEM model do that with the Aux outputs? Costs twice as much tho.
  10. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

yes the Atem 1me can indeed switch 4 inputs to 2 outputs using it's AUX buses.

however without any preset functionality (currently) it is a little cumbersom to operate.