1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on my first VJ reel?

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by FilmmakerMichael, Jan 17, 2011.

1. FilmmakerMichael

FilmmakerMichael New Member

Hey, I’m new to this whole VJ stuff, I’ve only found out about it recently through college. I’m studying Media production, and as part of the course we needed to make a variety of animated visuals, then, using our own and other people’s visuals create a VJ reel. I was wondering if could get feedback on how I did from people with more experience in this field.

1. What did you think of the video as a whole?

2. Was there any parts you felt bored at, if so please specify?

3. Was there any parts that stood out to you and why was this?

4. What do you think I could improve on?

5. What did you think of the editing?

6. Do you think this video fits the style that would be played at a club, why or why not?

7. What would you rate the video out of 10? (0 being terrible, 10 being brilliant)

Thanks for your time
    Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

hello and welcome :)

1) it works ( although it was a bit too psycadelic for my personal taste )
    2) too short for me to get bored.
    3) 11 secs - the graphic reresents the sound nicely. around 1min 15secs - cutting to black when there was an abscence of sound, also good. ( too many vjs keep rolling regardless imo )
    4) i think it might be too bright at points - think of the projection screen as a large light - when its flooded with brightness, so is the room, which can spoil the atmosphere in a club
    5) the editing is ok, although theres a couple of bits that i think would be hard to do live ( live mixing and compositing is fundamentaly what vjing is about for a lot of people, otherwise you are just a video editor )
    6) personaly id expect to see visuals like that with music a bit more trancey / psycadelic- to me the music says digital / technological - differnet music requires different styles of visuals.
    7) im realy not keen on rating as one mans treasure is another mans junk.... its not a bad bit of work, but its not groundbreaking. if it was from a vj with a library of footage, id hope too see less repetition of clips - it must also be said that as a vj i might give it a more fussy rating than as a non vj watching it.
  3. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

bit too much symmetry and a bit like watching an arc welder at times.
    nice graphics -
  4. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

I liked the circles on an angled plane, the rest was a bit garish and got eye achy very quickly.
    Same as VJAir good work on going to a black screen
    As a first effort though and all own content not rubbish but not what I would personally think of as good. Style and content preference coming into play here though.
  5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

for me it changes too much too often. I'd try to make variations on your different graphics so you can have a more subtle range. When your following the sounds in the music then using variations of a single graphic works better than jumping around between different style of clips too much. (eg if you took the first clip with the rings and made some variations of it where the rings were different colours / sizes and then maybe did a horizontal flip and rendered each variation so you end up with a left and right weighted pair of each variation of the clip. This would allow you to be a bit more progressive with the music and leave the big stylistic changes to the major drops / track changes)

there are parts when your clearly following the drums in the track where the dominant sound for me is the synth line. Lots of Vjs make the mistake of following the "beat" rather than allowing themselves the space and time to listen to the other sounds in the music and pick them out.

The strobe effects make a great accent but you use them way too much so they lose their impact (and give everyone a headache)

it's a good starting effort though, the use of negative space is great (that's artwank speak for black BTW!)
  6. theharper08

theharper08 New Member

Gah, kalidascope!
  7. subpixel

subpixel the pixelator

I usually don't like really "flashy" (as in flashing) graphics, but I liked this.

Great soundtrack, and I had the good fortune to view it full-screen with amplified speakers. I can really imagine having an ace time seeing/hearing this in a club where people are there for dancing; the audio/visual connection was really good in most places.

Having said that, I think it would be difficult, as has previously been mentioned, to pull off this kind of synch in a live setting, so this really seems more of a video editing demo.

As a video, I think it is cool and could probably get you good marks. If your purpose is to get closer to VJing, try recording a "live set" and editing parts of that into a reel.

-spxl

(with editing envy ;))
  8. KidKDN

KidKDN Grand Puba to Lord Tu-Tu

nice reel !

1. What did you think of the video as a whole?
    good stuff!

2. Was there any parts you felt bored at, if so please specify?
    i didn't really

3. Was there any parts that stood out to you and why was this?
    what vjair said!

4. What do you think I could improve on?
    i wouldn't use as much strobe, as it may cause issues with the ecliptic

5. What did you think of the editing?
    here is my biggest issue , was it mixed live ? if it was then amazing job! u must of practiced for a while and hit it just right. if it was all edited together then, you got a good eye for pacing and matching visuals with
    sound ( as in good editing chops ) but then are these examples of your audio visualizations ? u will get these questions form vjs but not form promoters / fans general public ... so it really isn't that much of a issue but somthing to keep in mind

6. Do you think this video fits the style that would be played at a club, why or why not?

yes and no... if who ever made the music in the video where playing .. then yes.. but for other styles no. visuals are not a one size fits all affair.

7. What would you rate the video out of 10? (0 being terrible, 10 being brilliant)

i agree on what vjair says about this question but i come to a different conclusion... u get a 5. u got talent but it isn't ground breaking or nothing i haven't seen before.
  9. dEp

dEp Member

says it's set to private..?
  10. vjr

vjr New Member

it's set on private
  11. Ulfilas

Ulfilas New Member

I'd comment but can't view it due to being set to private. Does this mean you don't want or need any more feedback?