1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback/thoughts on new film and music event

Discussion in 'Talk with VJs' started by SovietMontageCinema, Mar 23, 2012.

1. I've been looking to set up a regular night in London focusing on music and film combined. I'm currently part of a team that run a popular short film night, and always thought it'd be fun to do the same thing but with more music, so it just makes sense, really. I'm not sure how to go about structuring it, though, and wondered if anyone could help me with a few things.

Firstly, as VJs, what is everyone's experience in performing for an audience as the 'main attraction', i.e. the music and visuals share equal limelight. Can it get a bit weird and awkward if everyone is looking for something in the visuals, as if it were a narrative short film, rather than having them as a periphery atmospheric element? Does 'the right audience' seem more than content to sit back and watch the visuals with a beer?

Secondly, what kind of rate would a VJ who is performing a 'piece', as it were, rather than winging it to add atmos, expect? I understand this can vary depending on how established the VJ is, etc., but for very preliminary budgeting reason, is there a good rough figure to work with?
    I've yet to go to Electrovision (always wanted to, always forget when it's actually on), but I understand that it tends to be more like artists' pieces being performed, as opposed to the traditional 'mixing to the beat' style of VJing.

I'd also like to have some focus on music videos, perhaps screened in the style of a standard short-film night. Would you want to sit through a programme of music videos? Would it interest you more if the programme was curated by musicians, DJs, VJs, or filmmakers that you recognise?

It's very much a half-conceived idea at this point, but I'd like to do something, so feedback will be very welcome.

Thanks.
  2. rinneyggdrasill

rinneyggdrasill New Member

I love the idea.
    I think any creative contents can be an exhibition.
    but I also think it's hard to go out for those people who can view videos on internet.
    you should make a contrivance to entertain them. (such as communication)
    good luck;)