1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first live set...

Discussion in 'Gig Reports' started by mvinas, May 27, 2010.

1. mvinas

mvinas New Member

mad last minute...

my brother got word that this performance space had a cancellation, and being that he had new tracks, he wanted to perform, he decided to put together a whole evening of different acts...and he mc'd.
    rappers, spoken word, even a few actors played a whole scene from a short play they wrote...

last week he asks me if i want to get involved, and if i would put up some visuals, eagerly i said yes, but insisted that i do it live, he had no idea what i meant, but he said ok...

for a south bronx gangster rap crowd it was not too bad.

my setup...
    g4 powerbook running motion dive tokyo, radio shack 4 way a/v switcher, vcr, and a digital camera connected for live footage.

lessons from last night...

-do not buy 99 cent store a/v plugs...
    you are better off paying the extra few dollars and getting proper ones...
    -invest in connectors of all shapes and sizes!!
    -do not let anyone be responsible for bringing something essential to your setup, no matter what!!
    my bro's manager was supposed to bring me a power strip...he totally forgot.
    -scope the space out before, if not get there early to deal with any technical issues that may arise...
    -bring a universal remote...
    -EARPLUGS!!!!!
    i didnt get a pair, and my ears are still ringing.

what now...

it was cool to see peoples reaction to the video clips i created myself, so i think i will continue to create them and expound on that further...
    also want to try putting still shots in some kind of animated/motion kind of clip, not sure how to go about it...
    wanna play with back projection.
    i have been creating my own sound sketches and want to add that in the live mix...
    it would be cool to link up with some music peeps and collab on a live set so that the visuals and the music can inform eachother...

we shall see...

--
    M