1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Projector Setup for Concert Venues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rexonox, Apr 16, 2012.

1. rexonox

rexonox New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm getting into projection mapping and the complex world of VJing, and as much as I've read I'm obviously still a noob and will remain a noob until I get some practical hands-on experience.

Basically, I understand what makes a projector a good projector, but again, as I've said, there are thousands of choices out there and we don't have the cash to "screw up" and pick the wrong set-up.

We need a projector that will be used for VJing and projection mapping during live performances which will project all sorts of crazy visuals and effects behind performers on stage. The stages will not be too big and we will have controlled lighting in just about all venues (a medium sized concert venue). We also wanted to try some stuff out using 3D technology and having people in the audience wearing 3D glasses (we don't know how plausible that is, but everything is worth a shot).

Here's the projector we found that we really love:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/NEC-NP-PA500U-projector-widescreen-Definition/dp/B004QOCKRW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5"]Amazon.com: NEC NP-PA500U - LCD projector - 3D Ready - 5000 ANSI lumens - WUXGA (1920 x 1200) - widescreen - High Definition 1080p - no lens: Electronics[/ame]

5000 Lumens, 1080p, 3D ready, and 2000:1 contrast ratio

We have a budget up to about 5000$ but obviously if you know something better that's cheaper, we won't say no ;)

If this for any reason is not a good projector (and I would love to learn why), could someone please recommend a better projector.

The other question is that I know that in order to projection map onto geometric surfaces, you need a digital (professional) camera that has the same type of Lens as your projector in order to accurately map on those surfaces. So does anyone have any recommendations for a camera that works great for this?

Thanks to everyone for any and all help.

2. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

That is defenitly a good projector, and a decent price. (just keep in mind the lens is not included) Also if you can get the optional Wireless add on, it's a feature my buddy has on his NEC machines, and he loves it, for setting up his rig. He says it saves alot of time getting everything lined up. Personally i have these : http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-D5500U.htm and I just run a LAN cable with my power/signal cable. The machine you linked to are alot newer, and better though, good choice.