1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I can see sounds"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by elbows, May 29, 2003.

1. elbows

elbows PixelRomper

Check this out..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1126524.stm

"For Jane Mackay, sneezes are turquoise and Friday is chequered. She has synaesthesia, a neurological condition which mixes up her senses. Here, the former GP-turned-artist, of south London, explains her colourful world. "

"Modern music; music I haven't heard before; someone hitting a wrong note; noises-off - I get tremendously strong synaesthetic experiences from all of those. "

Do you think she'd make a good VJ? ;)

2. elbows

elbows PixelRomper

Actually its got me thinking this, quite nice stuff, not sure if I could handle life if it was a phenomenon that couldnt be switched off though.

Interesting info here:

http://www.psychiatry.cam.ac.uk/isa/frames.html

eg: Synaesthesia in the Arts section

"The painter Wassily Kandinsky was much taken with the efforts of the Russian composer Alexander Scriabin and included in the manifesto of his and Franz Marc's Blue Rider group (Der Blau Rieter Almanac) an appraisal of Scriabin's 'Prometheus', or the 'Poem of Fire'. What made Scriabin's efforts so worthy in Kandinsky's view was the composer's inclusion of notation for a 'colour organ'. The keys of the clavier a luce when struck, rather than producing a sound, would project colours. Myers (1914) reports that Scriabin planned to score an orchestral piece, 'Mystery', to include the same colour dimension, but this time with the addition of odours"

Every time we think weve got back to the origins of modern VJ's, an earlier example is found lol. I find its the same with politics, like as if spin and propaganda havent been around for thousands of years.

3. kommy

kommy vj eyena

try a strong psychedelic

4. PilotX

PilotX Tom syzygy, not Dan ;)

I'm pretty sure the Beethoven had the same thing..

5. littlecatalyst

littlecatalyst Retireded

music looks really interesting with Salvia..... it just knows too much, though :scared:

6. mandala

mandala New Member

Man who tasted shapes - very interesting read on the subject, including experiments on different drug enhancements (ie psychadelics)
    http://www.wardle.demon.co.uk/books/cytowic.html

ps. fyi. alcohol was more active than pot/lsd/speed etc enhancing their synaesthetic experiences.

7. kommy

kommy vj eyena

ps. fyi. alcohol was more active than pot/lsd/speed etc enhancing their synaesthetic experiences. [/B][/QUOTE]

the only thing alcohol enhances is a stupor

8. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

try 2cb or 2ci even more so

9. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

yes, please

10. littlecatalyst

littlecatalyst Retireded

AlphaMethylTryptamine

amt is quite an interesting one too-- doesn't tweak sound as much as salvia (though cicadas + amt =auditory bliss) but nice/interesting to be an empath (as long as your not surrounded by city dwellers. eek!) and have total 180 degree focus.

11. bluntfaktory

bluntfaktory New Member

try scooby snacks ! yum

12. bluntfaktory

bluntfaktory New Member

that seeing the sounds thing has happen to me more time than i can count , once it was with a hole gang of us all seeing same thing at the same time . humm , i wonder why ? tapps chin thinkingly . ;)