1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just finishing - I'm retiring

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by vjrei, Nov 1, 2007.

1. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

I just took the desition a moment ago.

There are so few events from where I can justify my presence and I have been turned down again by the production company who manage Diageo (my sponsor). They gave me a proposal to accomplish from one day to another where I had to include an entire recording studio to record some dancers, tehy didn't tell me what dancers, quantity or anything else.

Proposals like that are just meant to turn you down when they already have an provider.

But I gave my chance to visuals as a service, I have found out that I would have to start to ask the resume from the people who is hiring me. I was talking to a friend of mine today and he told me the same, we have to be evil to keep in this business and we are not that sort of people.

I am going to focus in post production and leave the VJ thing on a side unless some one call me for it. I am going to leave my equipment in peace for a while and sell them.

Too many people have been hurted, I have been too neurotic and desperate and frustrated and I have been pushing the envelope too far too many times for the litle results I had.

I have spent around $80K + in this journey and I believe is enough.

Peace

Rei

2. Larky

Larky New Member

Sorry to hear that. Take a rest, chill your mind for a bit, and see where your journeys take you.

3. Kyle

Kyle "Hello my VJ friend"

80K...whoa is your V4 solid gold?

4. VJ99p

VJ99p New Member

I agree with larky...

You need to be sharp, manipulate, good salesman and more - somtimes making good looking clips [SIZE=-1]isn't enogh. take the time dude, maybe you need it to reorginize your little business.

good luck

:sun:
    [/SIZE]

5. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

Sounds like you need a vacation to me as well. This lifestyle can be overwhelming for anybody. Hope to see you back when you remember why you started VJing in the first place. :nod:

6. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

enjoy your holiday, I'm sure you'll be back!

7. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

Rei, try working with some other VJ's for a while, there is power in numbers, and having a few heads to deal with many of the problems you describe will keep you much more focused and sane..Taking on the world by yourself can be a very lonely exisitence..

8. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

VJs are like budgies.

one on his own just bangs his head against the mirror all day.
    put two together and they are much happier.

9. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

damn it you'd just brought modul8 too...

the idea of working on some exciting creative projects with some other people is a good one if you want to keep VJing - i'd also suggest that you'd enjoy life more if you were less obsessed with money. do some video projects for fun with some friends rather than seeing it as the cut throat business you keep describing on VJF.

10. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Have a break rei...stick at it.

11. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Rei - the big stuffs cool but its the dirty back alley gigs that rock the most. Snap out of it! heh!
    You'll be back!

12. Lo0m

Lo0m New Member

when it's so much hype and money in there, it's time to turn underground... :)

13. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko pixel jockey

i guess the cox thing hasnt helped your feelings eh rei..

would love to see a pic of your 80k setup, must be sweet

14. disassembler

disassembler Mix+Mix+Chop+Chop

15. florworld

florworld New Member

sorry to hear it the problems... take a break get yourself out to europe where they are doing great things, meet some people at the parties, it will restore your faith and your soul....

love and peace and purple sparkles....

ps i reckon you must have some pretty nice projectors for that money....... i'll look after them ... love em, pet em and even take em out for walks

16. paranoidkarma

paranoidkarma ** VISUAL ADDICT **

Yap, take a break, come to Europe :D good girls here in Portugal ^^
    If you guys think that VJing is hard come to Portugal and see... we have a lot of guys with laptop calling themselves "vjs" and getting into all the parties and clubs, currently i'm not doing gigs for clubs or djs, only with a friend dj and only sometimes, currently i'm focusing on other projects, maybe you should do the same rei. I'm focusing on the vjkungfu magazine and in my design office website and identity ^^
    Sometime we just need a break. My peacefull moments are in the bathroom :D

17. devonmiles

devonmiles Midi: the language of God

come to germany. you can make 1000 euros a weekend ( if youre lucky like me...)

18. florworld

florworld New Member

paranoid karma... comming out to portugal next week for a few months. got a place out near castelo branco for a little bit of time for redefinition of soul.
    totally get what your saying about the winamp vj!!! bringing the soundsytem out with us and lighting rig.

do you know vj roque from portugal...? maybe we can make a connection

love and peace
    yaz and flo

19. paranoidkarma

paranoidkarma ** VISUAL ADDICT **

Hi florworld, i don't know VJ ROQUE but i hear about him as DJ ^^ you are talking about M?rio Roque right? from Noite Global ^^ , i know the north based vjs since the north of portugal is where you can find the best parties ^^
    I live in Barcelos near Porto (Oporto) so if you get into the north of Portugal we can meet ^^