1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting and DMX forum

Discussion in 'Updates, Suggestions & Bugs' started by signal55, May 24, 2004.

1. signal55

signal55 robotfridge

hello guys

I kinda feel its about time we had a section on lighting and DMX on this forum, i know how alot of you feel aboput lighting and so forth but as most of us work in an enviroment that has lighting as a major feature, i feel it would be useful for us to get more involved with the way lighting works, and how we can make lighting and visuals more complimentary to each other, for instance i ahd some vjays in on friday at stealth and though they produced interesting content they used so much white in there content i found it very difficult to control the light in ther room, personaly i found this very irritating because the room looked shit and too bright.
    As i'm both a VJ/LJ i have come to appreciate how well you can intergrate both mediums to produce an amazing visual enviroment for the clubber. i have to admit that i've only been doing lights for 2 months and at first i had major reservations about doing them, but after building, proggraming and intergrating the visual and lighting rig at stealth i feel that i have acheived results that are quite unique to the Stealth and would be benifcial to other clubs.
    So lets have a useful debate on this subject please ;)

love mossy
  2. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Moving to Updates and suggestions forums.

Personally I don't know. I feel we have a lot/too many forums as it is.

Don't existing forums HArware, backstage cover this subject already.

But let's get others feedback
  3. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

i agree its a subject that have been neglected a bit, maybe due to un coperative attiude from the "lampies"
    i often heard them saying "i cant change the program"
    but i feel that the vj roll is only part of the atmosphere creators at a club gig, actually any gig.
    shall i say compositon (?)
    its very important if there is communication.
    on the club i used to work every thursday, there was a very nice lighting guy, whith whom i got along very well, & we reached an understanding & balance between us,
    giving tolat dark sudden moments to the crowd, folowing any music break together, i got him not to cross my visuals with tacky folow lights & i let him to have his "solos". ww used to think of ideas to do together, to match colors & it was fun.
    while in the biggest club here, i always felt that the promoters attitude was to "load" or mark a "v" & there wasnt much synch between deco/lighting & visuals.
    These days, when i go on a big gig , i make sure to take the phone number of the main lighting guy & talk to him before the gig, so we can develope understanding & mutual respect to each other work.
    I find it helps a lot :)
  4. Anyone

Anyone New Member

indeed, it's about time we discuss these issues...

I mean, DMX, the main lighting control language,
    is now setting itself up as a real contender for controlling video

on the other hand, the Pioneer VDJ X-1 is letting DJs
    play music video with same approach as normal DJing

should we feel threatened? attacked on 2 fronts ?

the flipside is:

a pletora of products have come out to translate midi to DMX
    therefore permitting VJs to easily expand their repertoire
    to lighting props

some would argue that VJ culture is less accessible than DJ culture,
    making the move from the former to the latter easier than
    from the latter to the former...

So should they (DJs and LJs) feel threatened instead ?

Ne1
  5. charlielangridge

charlielangridge www.rho-d.co.uk

Being a lampy by trade i am happy to give anybody advice and help on DMX. I think it woudl be a good idea to have some basic information on lighting and some detailed stuff on DMX. I'll write an article over the next week or so and prehaps an FAQ so if anybody has any questions, add thme to this thread or pm me :)

6. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Good lighting is very important and I take it on as my role as a VJ. After all my role should incorporate anything visual.

In fact I even setup visuals specific for lighting concepts.

These two can and should quite often go hand in hand.

Good suggestion.
  7. cat

cat Senior Moments

I also double as a lampy, mainly because when I started doing visuals there was no way I could make a living doing it on its own.
    DMX is definatley the way forward, lighting desks were made to be performed with, loads of people want hardware interfaces for the software, fact is they're already available, only problem is the dmx-midi part, vj softs supporting artnet is probably the way to go. As I understand it thats the way the Hippotiser went, just have to hope vj-soft developers dont want to charge 10x the price to impliment it!
    On that note I understand that Artnet supports video over tcp so you can run a monitor by the desk which has also got to be interesting for streaming video between different applications?
    Cat
  8. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Obviously from teh quick replies there is a decent amount of interest in DMX and lighting, etc.

Although I don't really see the need for another forum maybe and change in the description of say the BAckstage forums to include 'lighting and DMX'
  9. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

aren't there already other forums out there for lighting/DMX?
    I can see how many VJs might also work with lighting, but I still see these as distinctly different areas....
    In my opinion, it doesn't warrant a seperate forum here at VJF, but should be integrated into another forum as suggested by rovastar.
  10. ristuuk

ristuuk New Member

should we feel threatened? attacked on 2 fronts ?

To A certain degree yes.

More and more Dj's are becomming involved with visuals, this is a fact. a dj/vj will get more bookings especially if they are already established .

More and more projectors and programs are becomming dmx controlled. programs/ controllers like the new Fairlight or the radlight.

In our venue, a large conference / event place, most of the visual element to a show would be done by the lx.

times change and so does technology.

Theres so much crossover nowadays between visuals and lighting.
    back in the days of the solar250 , what was that ?, a lighting effect or an effects projector?

It used to be the lampies lit the space , us visual people lit the walls. Thats not so any more.
  11. signal55

signal55 robotfridge

Hmm i've heared of artnet before what is it, i have tried googling it but i get nothing, anyone?

xxmossy
  12. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Ok I changed the backstage description to:

"To talk about the rigging and setup from screens & projectors to lighting & DMX, from small system setups to festival rigs it all goes here."

Hopefully that will be more inclusive.

May I suggest that you start a DMX/lightindg issues thread in there rather than continue on with this thread.
  13. cat

cat Senior Moments

Artnet is an open source ethernet DMX protocol developed by www.artisticlicence.com.
    They also make the hardware adapters!
    Its used by Catalyst, Pixel Mad to name a couple, and a few lighting desks,
    Being opensource it would obviously be open to implimentation in VJ software.

Lev you may think they are different areas but how many VJs would be up for a harware sequencer/interface built specifically to survive beer being split on them/touring/live performance?

Are we being attacked on 2 fronts? Yup, I always wanted to be mixing for large scale bands, it far more likely no that the LD will be scripting the show, which is shame as most of them haven't grown out of tunnels yet! But give them time !
    On the otherahand Ive seen some amazing projections being done by Lampies, mainly due to the fact that they can create a cue list and hit several buttons at once via programming

Cat
  14. signal55

signal55 robotfridge

Thank you rova and thanks cat for the link i'll spend most of the day trying to get my head round it now...............

xxmossy:)
  15. chamberplus

chamberplus New Member

Approved this topic ..

Sharing a demonstration kit !

I think this kit not only a idea kit, that is a application platform, too !

I will enhance the supported amount of the LED play mode!

Let it match more application field...

---
    Any comments will be welcomed !

Thank you !
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  16. 032981

032981 New Member

I do lighting and video . They work very well together as one integrated concept. I think of them as extensions of each other. The same goes as well for other aspects of stage design such as drapes, fog\haze, set design etc.
    ________
    Medical collective of garden grove
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  17. Hambone

Hambone New Member

Tight integration in design and performance of audio, video, and lighting results in an overall synergy that can be FAR more compelling and powerful than the sum of the individual parts. Inexpensive software like Ableton Live is HUGELY powerful in that it lets me design, choreograph, and perform audio, video, and lighting single-handedly, as manual or automatic, fixed or random as I want.

Even if you're not doing audio, designing, choreographing, and performing video and lighting together can DEFINITELY be more powerful than the sum of individual parts. Pan/tilt laser tunnels with panning/tilting video motion... flood the dance floor with colors that complement the video... glitch/scratch (which seems to be the trendy fashion of the moment) video effects with synched glitching/scratching LED PARS or strobes... pan/tilt live video cameras with matching panning/tilting spotlights... have blinders fire at the same time as a video explosion and cymbal crash. There is SO much scope for creativity, and lighting has never been more economical and easy to use. And lighting lets you break out of the 2d flat restriction of screens by using lighting to add the third dimension into the crowd. Sequencing the lighting as you design the video makes it easier to create a tightly integrated show. Your drag 'n drop Live clips can not only contain audio and video, but lighting, too.

Audio, lighting, and video designed and performed separately from each other but at the same time is disjointed and IMO can never be as effective.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  18. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

I need lighting information sooooo baaaaad!

I believe it wpuld be an incredible idea to include lighting for VJs in this forums.

I see the lighting forums too advanced and in my city is eather too simplistic or too jealousy keeped by the guys afraid I would take their jobs.

I really would like to know about the technology because is another shape of visuals, they have colors and rythm and I would like to control that as well.
  19. dmx_newbie

dmx_newbie New Member

Dmx Question

Hello,

Im new to the whole DMX world i understand the basics but i am wondering is there any software where i can import a song for example and work around that on a track basis for example..

Or i want to know how to sync the music with pre programmed shows etc

thanks
  20. Modemasters

Modemasters Audio.Visual.Interactive.

21. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Greetings

Hello there,

I use DMX lighting for live music production. My background is as a musician, with some thirty-five years as a gigging, touring rock guy, and more recently live sound and lights for small to mid sized venues.

My shows range from a couple of hundred bodies up to a few thousand.

Anyway, I've been using DMX par 64s as well as a few special effects lights and lasers. I also use a DMX follow spot and a nice remote control fogger to enhance the show.

I'm interested in learning from other's experiences.

Today I wired up my first simple terminator. I'm hoping it will help reduce flickering and other little weirdnesses (is that even a word?).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  22. nutcracker

nutcracker I've given money to VJForums

It must be really nice to set up your gear and not to have to worry about it getting rained on and frying the band and sound engineer.

Is that a lovely RCF rig i see there?
  23. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

I'm going back to stage lighting too.
    got fed up with the lighting guys nicking the video gig, so I plan to get my own back

just gotta love that chamsys pcwing

[​IMG]