1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mac book as mixer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thispace, Dec 2, 2008.

1. thispace

thispace EYE4ANEYE Visuals

Hey just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to use a computer as a mixer?!

Me and my friend where pondering it the other day...

would it be possible to connect two mac books up through an other mac book and use that as a vision mixer... we where thinking maybe some clever person could work out a MAX patch to make this work??

but we don't know how to use MAX!

any thoughts?
  2. Mixed Ape

Mixed Ape Confused Primate

It has been done using Isadora and Quartz Composer. You could probably knock one up with quartz but I have no idea how good it'll be.

If your using a macbook then your going to need a USB capture device because there is only 1 FW port.

Look Here
  3. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

if you're using a NEW macbook (non-pro) you don't even have ONE firewire port...
  4. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko pixel jockey

there was a thread somewhere about using eyetv to feed one input into another laptop, i can't remember the answer but someone suggested a better default system method i think

have a search :)
  5. synoptics

synoptics @&?!%

Old MBPro + EX34 3 port FW card

Won't be stable, reliable or free of frame drops though...
  6. Liquidmetro

Liquidmetro Positively Phototropic

Why bother? A video mixer will be cheaper. Were you just wondering if it was possible or do you have 3 laptops and trying to use what you already have/have something specific in mind?
  7. thispace

thispace EYE4ANEYE Visuals

we've got three mac books (old ones) and where trying to avoid spending money as we are skint! so just wondering if there was a way really!
  8. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

Well, I guess a cheap used mixer like an ave5 will be cheaper than two good capture dongles...
  9. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

Having a computer mixing is an option but not a solution.

Is better to have 2 computers and one V4, and one of the copmputers capturing the video signal of the other computer. If you mix from one computer it would be slow and it will look bad for so many on the fly recompresion.
  10. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

As long as you have a video input in one of the mac books, you can use a number of VJ softs to do the mixing no problem..
    the big problem is if your mac books lock up, you loose your video mix..