1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightandshadow, Jan 11, 2005.

1. lightandshadow

lightandshadow New Member

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

$499 / $599

1.24 / 1.42GHZ CPU
    256MB RAM - Up to 1GB
    40 / 80GB HD
    1 Firewire 400 port
    10/100 ethernet

keyboard and mouse not included

ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM and AGP 4X support. Doesn't seem to have a second monitor option.

GRAPHICS SPECS
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/graphics.html

TECH SPECS
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Would be difficult to use as a VJ box without a second monitor unless your app had a network interface or ran unattended. 32MB of VRAM is enough to Quartz Extreme, but might not be enough for GPU based VJ apps.

2. trotskythecat

trotskythecat Momo the Monster

Problem I see (for VJ Purposes):
    The graphics card, as far as I can tell, is not upgradeable and will not support pixel shaders, which is the next big step in Mac VJ Software (IMHO).

Though it could make a mean secondary machine, running supporting graphics (on current/older programs) or audio software (such as ableton).

In fact, it could be used without a monitor if it were running some synced/triggerable Ableton Live patches, and it would fit into a VJ rig just fine. Hmm.

The thing is tiny! 6.5" x 6.5"

3. jaqx

jaqx New Member

being this mac so cheap and small and portable i would consider buying a scan converter and using it as performance machine

or even having 2 of these and a video mixer for running grid or arkaos

i see its strong point on being the cheapest DV editing suite on earth...

4. slof

slof New Member

It has a dongle with tv-out.

sold separately!

5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

still seems a very long way behind shuttles in terms of power and price.

6. Pesh

Pesh Pixel Tosser

yeah, but ?250 for a brand new mac? go the weak dollar ;)

7. snooze

snooze New Member

Are you absolutely sure there's no possible way to uprgrade the ATI chip?

8. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

I don't know, this looks like the shit for me. Ive been running at home a PC desktop for ages, and been thinking of replacing it with a Mac one but couldn't afford it. This is my chance. Then I will be workingm finally, 100% on the OS X platform.

I have my iBook for the road. and if needs be, I can take thsi small beaut, and by means of a scan converter, use it. This is a KILLER modul8 setup IMO.

9. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Old And Crusty

Before everyone gets too excited about this i might point out that it is possible to build a significantly faster shuttle box, for less $$.

only downside is the cost of buying windows will put you over the $500 mark.

eg.... i copied this from another forum so

"Have you looked at specs of $499 Mac mini? 1.25GHz CPU, 256MB of RAM, 32MB video card (R9200SE) and 40GB HDD, you can build faster SFF for less. For example (prices taken from www.pricewatch.com ):

- Shuttle SK43G ($198)
    - Athlon XP 2400+ ($67)
    - 512MB RAM ($45)
    - GeForce FX 5200 128MB ($47)
    - 80GB HDD ($45)
    - dual-layer DVD burner ($60)
    => $462

Or even cheaper:
    - Shuttle SS51G ($168)
    - 2.4GHz Celeron ($68)
    - 256MB RAM ($23)
    - Radeon 9200SE 64MB ($38)
    - 80GB HDD ($45)
    - dual-layer DVD burner ($60)
    => $402
    "
    so maybe this little minimac aint so great, the fact it only ships with 256Mb ram will really mean it is useless for anayhting more than a word processor/web browser when used with OSX.

personally i would prefer the athlonXP 2400+ with a 128Mb GeForceFX5200 and 512ram.

but yes it is nise to see such a small package from apple, it's a pity it is only about 2 years too late for it have a major effect on apples market. - it would have made a perfect platform for developers, new to OSX. (it ships with some half decent development tools)

10. lotech

lotech video junkies

I love the please spend more money to true make the computer usable - and once you've got all the accessories I wonder how loud you have to yell at it? (See Pic)

11. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Old And Crusty

Yeah as previous poster pointed out....

no Mic or line-in input, which kinda sucks for vj'ing if you ever use a line-in feed.

of course $40 will get you a nice digital USB line/mic in functionality.

also the power supply is not part of that nice small box, it's an external thingy - so it's not totally enclosed in the little box.

12. akira_k

Which, for example, as you say, needs an OS to be added, an OS that IMO leaves a lot to be desired. It will also not run any of the excellent apps I am used to (Final Cut Pro, modul8...)

As i said somewhere else, it's all about comfort. If I can afford it I will ALWAYS spend in something that is more comfortable to me, be it a couch, bed, computer or software. Exchanging my current Pentium 3 desktop for this macmini is a high boost to my comfort department since I really got fed up of all the problems the x86/win platform has brought into my life.

For 600 dollars (that';s for the base model plus a superdrive option)I think it's a steal.

13. DrEskaton

DrEskaton Triple Hexagon, Osaka

those that say you can build a shuttle for less are missing the point.

Include the cost of XP pro in your calculations plus the cost of Ilife '05 equivalents for windows.

Except there is no direct equivalent to iLife 05 for windows.

For $499 + $60 for extra RAM you get a decent DV editing solution, except it now has support for HDV editing.

For $599 + $60 for RAM you get a DVD authoring workstation with HDV support.

Include the software in your windows calculations.

Yeah no second output sucks, I wish they had a BTO option with a video card with second output.

14. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

hehe, I'll prolly get one of those and a v4 instead of the new ibook I wanted to buy and as a plus, I'll keep my old ibook = same cost!!

15. krezrock

krezrock New Member

Uh....Firewire port for video output is pretty standard in softs these days isn't it?

If need be add a Media converter to convert the signal to analog and plug that into your analog mixer.

16. jaqx

jaqx New Member

forget about ilife, or any extra value apple chucks into their computers to make them more attractive and try to convince pc users their life will be better with a mac....

include the cost of design of an object that could be exposed at MOMA... how much is that worth?

beautiful design is vital and will end up selling more than the "cheap and bad" pc paradigm imho.

17. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

dunno... which softs DO support firewire out? grid doesn't...

18. krezrock

krezrock New Member

Jitter is one off the top of my head.

I'm sure Grid Pro will have support. Or was it Grid DV?!?

19. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

lmao! We just played the MoMA and on the second level there's a case of Macs (and various other gadgets). I started saying (loudly) "Oh, look! another Apple store has opened!" Har har. They had the clear bubble HarmonCardon speakers, a white iBook, an iPod.... I've seen the original bondiblue iMac and a Cube there before....
    :rolleyes:

20. visualove

visualove New Member

Yes! The design costs little in relation to the volume Apple produces. Some PC makers are getting better design, but their product lifecycles are shorter than Apple, and margins slimmer which makes it harder to invest in design. We'll see if the "media PC home set top box" ever causes this to happen. Apple's appeal is emotional and identity making, so design is important. They are also willing to spend a little more on parts - like the laptop screens with a minimal edge and the aluminum and titanium cases, the metal trim on the G5 tower costs $$ too. Somehow Dell (which I think is a great supplier) doesn't scream "hipster art student filmmaker designer type = kiss me". Sony has the best possibilities to move to the #2 spot in design, but they haven't quite got the emotional quotient - EQ - up. HP wants to do it to sell printers with their PC's but hasn't pulled it off.

21. dlublin

dlublin Member

GRID DV???

Hello from VIDVOX,

First off, we're really excited about the Mac Mini. Lots of possibilities for a powerful, inexpensive Macintosh.. but alas, no 2nd video out.. kind of tough for a VJ though.

So, just to respond to the part about GRID DV / GRID Pro...

We developed a version of GRID DV that was used on the last Beastie Boys tour. We are currently developing a retail version of GRID DV, hope to start beta testing shortly around the same time we start beta testing GRID Pro. GRID DV is going to be really great on a Mac Mini or iBook.. and with the ability to pre-process your clips in GRID Pro and record to disk, the two will make a powerful combination on any Mac. We're working out the details of making it possible for everyone to have both programs without having to dish out a ton of cash.

We've got a bunch of other ideas in mind for fun things to do with a room full of Mac Mini's, hoping to have a chance to do that when we've got some downtime..

- Dave @ VIDVOX

22. visualove

visualove New Member

23. akira_k

Beautiful design is "vital"? since when? What for?

An object that could be exposed at the MoMA? Look! I found another object that could be showcased at the MoMA too, then!

[​IMG]

DO people really buy into this, and take it as their VITAL consideration when purchasing hardware? SHOULD people think of this as their VITAL consideration when purchasing hardware?

24. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

I am running FCP in a Powerbook 12" with a G4 1Ghz... just fine.

I will wait for a next revision of the computer, what no one notice is something very very important...

... you are getting a box with iDVD and you can not burn a DVD?

The superdrive should be standart if that is the case. :confused:

25. jaqx

jaqx New Member

It was just a personal opinion, didn't mean to hurt your feelings Aki... hahahhaha

I don't know/ I don't care

I just happen to like the new Mini Mac a lot

26. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

The video adapter is under $20:
    [​IMG]. Might have to get me GRID and a cute lil midi-thingie!

You're right Rei! iLife included with minimac does contain iDVD. Original versions prevented burning to external dvd drives.... I wonder if it still does.

Ahh, Apple's website has the answer. iDVD can now create disc images to burn "later" or "to store on your harddrive as a read-only file playable with Apple's DVD Player?".

:rolleyes: WTF? Why can't apple just admit that lacie makes a better dvd burner than their stupid superdives and say that it is "expandable with external drives"?!

Anyway, stuperdrive is available as an add-on for $100. Add Bluetooth, Airport, 1g memory, and bluetooth keyboard+mouse and the total is only:
    $1,352.00

har har har.

27. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

come on guys some of the stuff in this thread is pure comedy
    "DVD authoring workstation with HDTV support"
    what toss - idvd is not a advanced dvd authoring platform (there are equally good / bad free dvd authoring apps on windows)
    imovie cannot do anything with HDTV and this box has only one dvi connector (you can pay for a converter to composite but not to HDTV component)
    DV output (hmm yeah whatever - i like my visuals to be in time with the music not delayed by a conversion to DV and back again)
    really guys this thing doesn't look like its much use for anything visual - i'm sure people will still use it but it is a very long way from being ideal.

mind you if the dollar keeps plummeting i might well get one of them as a net / email / mp3 player / unix terminal.

28. visualove

visualove New Member

1- Yes
    2 - It's a free country

Take a look at the book Lovemarks (Amazon) by Kevin Roberts of Sachi and Sachi. You can hear a 45 minute presentation by him at Web Seminar it was on Dec 12. The basic message is that if you are making a product, it has to be made in the cheapest place in the world and sold at the lowest price in the world or be so [Applespeak] so insanely great that people will pay a premium for it (maybe then you can afford to make it in the US, Canada, the UK, France or Northern Europe).

So I guess it depends on whether you believe marketing is evil. Also this type of stuff is more applicable to people between the ages of about 12 and 40. By the way, marketing also applies to VJ's.

PS this doesn't mean it is bad to buy stuff purely on objective performance, just that many people don't...

29. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

well its clear that this product has a market but it should also be clear that VJs are not its market.

there are 2 kinds of users this product is for - people who don't want a computer but need to be able to email and stuff (they plug this into there LCD TV and away they go)
    and
    apple enthusiasts - who will insist that this is a ground breaking product whilst ignoring the fact that PC's have been around in this format for less money with better features for years and years.

personally i would hope that most VJs don't fit into either of these categories and would not buy a mini-mac for VJing with.

as a VJ tool the smaller Imac g5 is a better purchase as its faster, quicker to set up, more easily portable and cheaper than the mini mac.

30. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

oh but on the other hand i'd hold off buying any mac product as they seem about to launch a new laptop (that would explain the mac-mini as a easy way to offload old PBG4 processors that will never be turned into laptops)