1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modul8 is best MAC VJ app for A/V?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tcdevita, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

Hi,

I want to be able to loop audio as well as video. I have been using Arkaos VJ but haven't been happy with its performance regarding audio playback. It is not solid. In another thread it was suggested that Modul8 is the best MAC VJ app for video AND audio. Just looking for other opinions...

Is Modul8 the best MAC VJ for A/V?

2. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

Oh Yeah...

Garagecube website says that Modul8 was created using C++ for maxium performance regarding latency.

Is Arkaos Max based?

What do people have to say about the whole latency issue?

3. djnada

djnada Nadada aka Jim C.

I did a gig last week (Gershwin Hotel, NYC) where I ran clips of interviews overlayed with other stuff flying every which way in modul8. The interviews created a montage of words and sounds. The sound was fine. Very cool effects, the layering of clips and sound. (mod8 2.0 beta, iMac 1.8 G5)

4. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

Re: Oh Yeah...

NO.

Right in time, your question.

Today I have been playing with my Electribe ER-1 and modul8, shooting clips and having the audio routed through the Electribe as to effect it and stuff...

The response was quite cool and I could loop stuff, but it was not -perfect-. Obviously it was a stepforward from Arkaos which can't do it right at all , no t even triggering it by MIDI. I also tried it with some loops I had around, I think that if I purposefully prepare them from scratch having in mid i'll loop them off modul8, I can have them looping lmost seamlessly, or at least seamless enough to get an A/V sequencing together as it should.

Will report more as I investigate. So far, so good.

5. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

So Modul8 isn't perfectly solid for A/V.
    Is there a software that is?
    I hear people say VJAMM is the most
    solid least latent.
    Is that true?

6. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

yes - VJamm is the only software capable of seemless AV looping and consitent low latency triggering.

7. dlublin

dlublin Member

GRID2 is also capable of seamless A/V playback and is very low latency, even with hi-res video. It's also got an optional pitch-stabilization feature for the audio tracks for playing back files at slow / high speeds without changing the pitch of the audio.

- DL

8. krezrock

krezrock New Member

I think what we're really in need of is a Sequencer!

9. dlublin

dlublin Member

10. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

I think modul8 is as solid as GRID for A/V, or maybe a bit more, I'm not sure. Both apps can do seamless AV playback but not V LOOPING, which is where VJamm shines, though it's PC only.

11. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

VJAMM Grid2

I tried the VJAMM demo on a work computer and while I was impressed with the audio triggering I was not impressed with the video playback. Images looked like still rather than moving. Now granted the computer I used is a piece of shit....
    On nice new PCs VJAMM audio AND video playback well and in sync?

I am a real devoted MAC guy and I really hated the interface of VJAMM it was so fucking PC. But of course it is not the looks of the software that are important really.

Anyone know if they are ever planning a MAC version of VJAMM? I really want to stay on the MAC platform if I can.

I tried GridPro beta and loaded a file and it wouldn't even play one clip back in time. The video seemed to split. And for some crazy reason I can't get the GRID2 demo to load on my computer. It says it installs it but I never seen it in my apps?????
    So I can't tell if that would do what I want. But that doesn't give me much confidence.

12. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

VJamm allways plays the video insync with the audio

the poor video framerate you saw was down to your graphics cards lack of openGL support

there will probably not ever be a mac version of VJamm - having said that the core technology of VJamm 3 should be fairly portable so maybe one day.

you can get a decent PC for VJamm for about 700 (?/$) so for less than a grand you can be AV jamming to your hearts content.

13. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

umm, actually VJAMM PRO is
    337.20 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 646.388 USD United States Dollars.

so more like $1400 ?

14. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

sorry i meant ?1k which is more like $1920

anyway its probably less than $1.5k with the cost of computer parts being so much lower in the states.

15. DrEskaton

DrEskaton Triple Hexagon, Osaka

Re: VJAMM Grid2

Give GRID2 another try. I once had it install somewhere weird,like in my home directorys "Applications" folder. Download the latest demo and try it again.

Failing that post in forums.vidvox.net, the developers are pretty quick to help people.

As far as I can see GRID loops AV seamlessly.