1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple GPU's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madsmeskalin, Apr 14, 2012.

1. madsmeskalin

madsmeskalin Torkonfoslak

Since my macbook pro died, and my insurance covered it, I devided to build myself a desktop. I want to be able to boot os x (hackintosh) so I can finish off my projects before migrating to Windows 7. I know its not a long term solution but thats not what I need.

Anyway my question is regarding multiple gpu's. I have the choice between the nvidia 580 3gb gtx and the Radeon hd6970 2gb. However I want multiple outs which the Nvidia cards doesnt support.

1. Is it any VJ softwares that support multiple gpu's in crossfire/sli?

2. Any lowend nvidia cards with 3 or more outputs. All the ones i've seen only have 2 outputs.

3. Will adding several lowend gpu's fore more outputs pull full power, or do they remain in a semi-passive state?

4. How much better approx is the 580gtx 3gb than the radeon 6970?

Basically all my questions summarized:
    Would a gtx 580 3gb with two extra low-cost gpu's for multiple outs make more sense than a single radeon 6970 2gb 6 outputs? Considering heat, compability and performance. Thanks alot!
  2. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

The 580 is now the fastest card, but...

nVidia isn't very good for multiple displays. Not all the outputs can be used at the same time. ATI/AMD is much better with eyefinity.

So I would suggest 1 6970 and a few low end cards for extra screens.
  3. madsmeskalin

I know you can only use two outputs at the same time. But if I add one or two low-end gpu's, will that result in any issues with heat, drivers or stability? Any other issues with nvidia and multiple outs? Cause I heard that 580 3gb will be quite a bit faster than 6970 2gb.

Btw thanks for your reply, very useful info!
  4. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

depends on what software you're using...

I have a HD5870 eyefinity 6 card in my rack mount machine, and it's pretty good, but i'm sure newer cards would perform better. I use Resolume Arena BTW..

In regards to Resolume,, the software will only use the primary GPU (the one the control screen is coming from) so adding a second card will not give you a performance boost, just more outputs.

also note, that the eyefinity 6 card will only give you 2 outputs if used as a hackintosh.
  5. Shorties

Shorties New Member

Ive built a hackintosh for this purpose before, its an awesome machine, but it sure was a pain to get everything working perfectly. Once I did though it was perfectly stable, so I'd reccomend it only if you are willing to invest the hours of time it will take tinkering with it to get it perfect. I'd definatly ask around some of the hackintosh forums, your build is going to be more dependent on what you can do with it as a hackintosh. The latest ATI cards (such as the 6900 series) don't have proper drivers in OSX Lion, but they do in the current OSX Moutain Lion beta. (Moutain Lion is going to be out this summer).

Are you sure that it won't give you more outputs if you use [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-006B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZXA"]active display port adapters[/ame]? Most of the ATI cards on OSX, from my understanding, require active adapters to use more then two outputs. I haven't worked with the eyefinity 6 though.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. stickygreen

yes I'm very sure.
    I know about active DP adapters, and I can assure you that the HD5870 E6 card will only give you 2 outputs running under hacky OSX

Unless in the last 6 months someone has made a new driver, that will allow all 6 outputs to work.....
  7. madsmeskalin

Only two outputs? Then I think I will go with the 580 gtx with an additional gpu.

Will that additional gpu add much heat/draw power when used only for its outputs?
  8. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

If you haven't built a hackintosh before then i would strongly recommend getting one of the recommended systems from tonymac's page http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/CustoMac Buy EXACTLY the listed components and you may then have some chance of getting OSX installed on it.

Given that your incapable of thinking for yourself you will not manage a hackintosh build unless you have a set of tried and tested components.
  9. Shorties

Shorties New Member

Ah, that's too bad. It is possible that the new ATI driver included in Mountain Lion does support more outputs from the Eyefinity series, but I wouldn't bank on it unless someone tested it.
  10. Shorties

Shorties New Member

Yeah I'd agree, having personally deviated from the recommended systems, and going for a different motherboard for specific features I thought I wanted, I HIGHLY recommend against it. It took hours of searching through forums, and testing different kext's to get certain components fully working. If you plan on going the Hackintosh route, get components that have all been recommended by tonymac, don't deviate at all unless you are willing to spend a lot of time tweaking, and if you are lucky, making everything work. And make sure the graphics card you choose is fully supported by OSX.
  11. madsmeskalin

Im not capable of thinking for myself? I find that to be a pretty offensive reply, Tom. I'm asking here on these forums so I can learn bew things, and ask for other peoples experiences.

But yes I know a hackintosh is a pretty complicated to setup. But it doesnt mean that I cant ask questions regarding the gpu's
  12. madsmeskalin

Isn't it what these forums are for?
  13. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

The forums are for DISCUSSION. They are not a free help line for everything that comes into your mind.

You never ask a decent question, because as soon as you think of the question you post here and ask for help. If you googled first and asked questions that were a bit less basic then there wouldn't be a problem, we wouldn't get annoyed and would be happy to discuss things with you.

I estimate 1 in 10 of your questions are worth asking. The others could all be answered by yourself and 5mins of googling or actually trying things out.

The best way to learn stuff is by doing, if you can't try things for yourself then research using the internet, this doesn't mean login to VJForums and ask a question, it means google and reading of a wide range of forums and sources and summing up the different opinions until you have an idea of what the answer may be. At that point in time you might of refined the question a little and could post something interesting for people to discuss.
  14. madsmeskalin

15. madsmeskalin

when you write it like that, I see your point Tom. Will do more research before I ask more questions :)
  16. Shorties

Shorties New Member

I'm pretty certain the 7970 is hardware accelerated under osx 10.8 mountain lion beta. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...hl= 6970 mountain&fromsearch=1&#entry1799012

It seems pretty buggy for now, but by the time 10.8 is officially released I'm sure they will have it running smoother. If you want to use the 7970 I'd wait for the gold master of Moutain lion to be released by apple this summer.
  17. stickygreen