1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need info: what year did the first VJ apps appear ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sketchyj, Apr 19, 2005.

1. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

today i'm writing a 12 page research paper for my college english course. It's coming along so easy because i chose VJing as my topic. However, im trying to include some accurate facts in the paper, like how long have software apps been available for VJing, and how long in general have companies been producing gear specifically geared towards VJs....i don't want to guess in case i decide to share my paper on the net
    maybe if someone wouldnt mind, they could read my paper before i turn it in to spot any facts which may need to be tweaked.
    pleeease?
  2. many2

many2 Active Member

The first VJ softs I ever heard of were X<>POSE and VJamm - they might not be the first ever created though.

If you think visualisation applications are VJ apps then, you'd have to consider things like Bomb and Cthuga.

These are just clues to help you - I have nothing to back this.
  3. Kyle

Kyle "Hello my VJ friend"

Sketchy...many people come here asking for help with papers and research, problem is they never come back to share the results. Email me a copy for sure. I?m definitely interested. :yep:
  4. WordVirus23

WordVirus23 NoInput is Detected

first apps/gear

X<>POSE has been around for 6+ years, it eventually evolved into Arkaos. I dunno how long VJAMM has been around. I would honestly say Cthugha was one of the first apps that offered keyboard control over a fullscreen'd app. it was a visualization app, but verymuch aimed at USING the app, not idlely watching it.
    Fractint (Stone Soup Group) has been around for at least 12 years, and while not somuch geared for "live" performance, it was my first image twisting app. color cycling (and palettes) of any GIF.
    Hardware is a bit more tricky... www.audiovisualizers.com has some great resources on old video synths, definitely worth checking out... it's really only been in the last couple of years that VJing has become a BLIP on marketer's radar, and as so, we're just now seeing hardware that's aimed at us, rather than us, reappropriating broadcast gear etc.

..james...
  5. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

i have 8 pages written....
    i reported that software written for VJ performance use has been around for about 5 years and that gear designed and marketed esp for VJ use, like the v4 has only come about within the last few years...before that, the pioneers used gear that was much more expensive and often modified it for VJ use.
    im i BSing or does this sound right?
  6. DrEskaton

DrEskaton Triple Hexagon, Osaka

yep, midivid came out in 1999, MAX/MSP/Nato about the same I think. So 6 years is close.
  7. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

alright well i think my paper is finished...i can post it if ya want...should i start a new thread, maybe in "just starting"...its kind of geared toward explaining the really basic things to people who think a VJ is the guy who hosts TRL on MTV
  8. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

The full screen version of SVi was out around the same time
  9. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

so yeah i posted my paper on vj central under working techniques...im sure theres something in there where it could be that im going to be accused of talking out of my ass, but eh, its just one persons perception of everything...maybe someone could look at it and see if they can find any glaring misconceptions
  10. tybalt

tybalt Artificial Lifeform

That is a question on how you define VJ. The first attempts to sync pictures or in early stages colors to music were from Athanasius Kircher around 1646.

Please define your take on the term "vj" so I can narrow it down.

Even moving pictures where synced to music already early last century. Its really an old artform if you are researching closely.
  11. karl

karl Sex, Drugs and Videogames

Don't know if it qualifies for a vj app, but i would also mention Jeff Minters "Light Synth".
  12. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

I think arkaos and vjamm (first versions) are a little older than 6 years. I (co)wrote Boemm in '98 and I'm sure both were available by then. Max already existed in '91 when I studied music technology, dunno bout MSP , NATO should be much later.
  13. cat

cat Senior Moments

Well I was Vjing in the mid 90's with a program called videotracker which was released in 1994, prior to that there was the trip-o-tron by jeff minter which I've an amiga version of dated 1989, but I think it was a atati st version before that.
    Trip-o-tron was more an abstract visualiser with some built in scripting and controls. Videotracker was a an AV sequencer, you could load octamed tunes and sequence animations to notes or use a joystick to step through and trigger your cues. Ran at 320 x 240 and you could layer 2 4 bit animations over each other, this on a 20mhz processor with 2MB of ram! I was still using it after vjamm came out for a while, saved carting round a monitor and desktop!
    Makes you wonder where all these ghz processors are wasting ticks dosent it? The amiga was truely the best AV computer on the market, if developement had continued visuals would be far in advance of where they are now, there's too much worrying about making your OS look cool and less about making the most of the hardware you've got!
    But none software wise you really have to cover Len Lye, Oscar Fishinger, Norman McLaren and Stan Brachage to name a few early experimental animators, It pisses me off when people talk about the history of VJing starting in the 90's, when I started I was following where many people had gone before, I was influenced by Mark/Family Boyle, who used to do liquid and other experimental projections for softmachine/hendrix/pink floyd in the early years, I saw some photos of his shows when I was at college and that turned me into a projected visuals obsessive!
    If you get an amiga emulator, you should still be able to find some videotracker modules on the net, also check out the early demo scene, you'll realise that Vj's havent really come that far!

cat
  14. karl

karl Sex, Drugs and Videogames

ah.. Trip-O-Tron it was :)
  15. cat

cat Senior Moments

Short: Let graphics react to music, v2.0 1995 (version2 mind!)
    Author: PV.Campen@inter.nl.net (Peter van Campen)
    Uploader: PV.Campen@inter.nl.net (Peter van Campen)
    Type: gfx/edit

With VideoTracker you can make a videoclip around a ProTracker or
    OctaMED module. You can also let images react to your CD-player, or
    other audio-input, with use of extra hardware.
    You can use pictures, brushes, animations, animation-brushes,
    palettes, colorcycle, routines (like Plasma, Rotate/Magnify), texts,
    objects, vectorobjects, amigafonts, karafonts, landscapes, colorsets.
    When the video is finished, you can save the module and video data
    as a "Vidule". A vidule is a crunchable executable file which plays
    the module and the video.
    You can make a small intro or a big house-demo.
    You also can use VideoTracker with a GenLock and, for example, make
    professional movie-titles with colorfonts.

When the module plays a sample, VideoTracker shows an "effect" on
    screen. This effect can be a picture, brush, anim, routine, etcetra.
    or a combination of these. You can edit for each of the 128
    song-positions the 31 samples and use up to 256 effects in a video.
    All the explained effects are used in the example-videos.

And for minter
    http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/lightsynths.php
    "The original idea was for a device to be played on stage and controlling large lighting rigs and lasers, and obviously I had neither the cash or expertise to build such a device, so it remained as only an idea until I decided to experiment with using a computer to generate the effects on a TV screen, for use in the home."

"In the beginning was Psychedelia which brought the Light to the C64, Vic20, MSX and Spectrum. Psychedelia begat Colourspace for the Atari 8-bit, BBC and Atari ST. Colourspace throbbed and pulsated mightily and eventually, in a shower of strobing pixels, begat TRIP-A-TRON....."

To quote the YAk
  16. lowRes

lowRes another member

* )

hi all!
    about softW i think xpose was already going on on 97 (96?), a previous softW was also videoscratcher (94?95?) that led to vjamm?? in 96(?).
    also if u'r talking about hardW, don?t forget v4's old mom, roland v5: this was the first video mixer with midi in/out and was commercialized from 95 onwards.
    and pleeeaaassee don?t forget all those crazy guys building hardware synthesizers in the 60's/70's (rutt/etra, nam june paik and a lot more).

about history.. oskar fischinger as a lot to say too! also norman mclaren!

hope it helps u!

r_x
  17. Jukkis

Jukkis New Member

hi!

if you're writing about VJ:iing history, it might be good also go into pre-history before time of VJ applications etc.

I'm actually writing my 'research' paper partly about same subject... :D

it's written part of my BA-level "diploma-work".

is this net article familiar for you (assuming it is..) ?

http://www.kether.com/liveCinema/SFPCS/Heap-historyVJ.html

while writing about VJ history it's really important to write about video synthesizers development and strong link between early steps of video-art and VJ:iing... because they share common history.

did you knew that in Finland there was also one scientist/artists who developed synths/videosynths...

http://www.avantofestival.com/2002_live/lp_kurenniemi.html
  18. VJamm

VJamm VJ Software

Hi

VJamm started in 1995 when I wrote 'Midual' - a MIDI video sampler which grew into VJamm 1.

AVScratch was actually a bit later (using DJamm audio technology to do the synchro scratch), but I think it was the first ever example of AudioVisual scratching with real audio pitch shifting like a record.

The original VJamm microsite is still up at Ninja with a history page. You can get there from www.vjamm.com
    - (click on info at the bottom then history when you get to the microsite)

I always thought Fractint was the first VJ software! but I haven't checked up on that.

Russell
  19. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

ah fractint....... not what I would call "VJ software" though... thinkI'd go for the manually controlled version of CTHUGA for the first "VJish" app
  20. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

21. ProjectParty

ProjectParty New Member

i want the running zebra off hackers :jump2: