1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neuromixer - Live Video Performance Software, Available Now!

Discussion in 'Software' started by vjfader, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Kyle

Kyle "Hello my VJ friend"

I have downloaded NM and I like it a lot. I am working with a midi keyboard, a replica of the Oxygen 8. Some of the sliders and knobs function. When I try to adjust the midi settings I am unable to change them. What might this be due to?

2. vjfader

vjfader Audio Video Artist

I'm back from Europe!

Good to hear it's working with DJ Console. I am afraid I won't be able to get a DJ Console till later August. I just got back from vacation and I need to save up before any new hardware purchases. Amsterdam was awsome!

I will try my best to release Neuromixer 0.3 sometime September. I will post a list of new features soon so ppl will have an idea in what to expect from the next update.

it's good to be home :p
    [​IMG]

3. vjfader

here is what to expect from the next release of Neuromixer 0.3

-Keyboard shortcuts
    -2 additional audio channels for preview, like a DJ mixer
    -Each video channel has it's own audio slider, so you may mix A/V seperately
    -Configured to use with Hecules DJ Console, and Ms.Pinky
    -Improved Loop seletability
    -Store loop points
    -More MIDI asignable functions
    -Preview screen on/off
    -"CUE" funtion, auto plays next clip when on
    -Additional timeline based effects like "chop" and "trip"

The list above is subject to change without notice ;)

Functions that are NOT likely to be found in Neuromixer:
    -Live cam input* (recommended to use a hardware video mixer)
    -write to disk* (recommended to use a VCR or DV deck for recording)
    -Freeframe FX support*
    *these functions are processor intensive and will affect the software performence.
    -Vinyl scratching sound simulation (It is imposible to mimic the Vinyl scratching sound perfectly, even the hardware CDJs. Therefore I won't attemp to do so.)

If you don't see something that you wish to have in Neuromixer, feel free to let me know.

4. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

I 100 % agree with all arguments beside Freeframe taking to much CPU. Many of these effects are highly optimized, I can run 10 of some at once in 320*240 in Vjo. Would give us alot freedom! Please thing about it.

:cool:

5. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Oh well the live cam input and clip capture from input (and freeframe to a lesser extent for me) were suggestions that would have brought it up to scratch :p with resolume (well in the clip scratching department, which is all I was after) ...... there is NOTHING cooler than being able to hit a key, sample a chunk of live cam on the fly, then have it assigned to button to be scratched back into the mix with the DM2, really blows ppls minds and happens to be my main use for scratch orientated software.

A REAL pity your not interested in putting such a function in. Oh and BTW there is NO WAY you can do THAT with a hardware mixer and vcr mate. I was considering busting Neuromixer out @ my gig with Krafty Kuts on the weekend but used but went with resolume for the live cam sample/scratch. Oh well @least some of my other suggeestions made it through. Exactly how are you planning to implement audio preview on 1 audio output machines? mono?

6. KillingFrenzy

KillingFrenzy KillingFrenzy Visuals

Neuromixer

On a technical note.

Two currently shitty things in Max/Msp/Jitter for windows are.

1) Live input from an analog source currently has to run through this 3rd party app call vdig, into quicktime and into the program. The whole thing seems alot slower than most apps I use that just have direct vFW or WDM support. The Jitter team seems to be aiming at a better solution for their next release.

2) There isn't currently a Freeframe host for Max/MSP/Jitter, and despite my half-assed badgering of people about it, I don't see anybody in a big hurry to create one.... (grumble ineffectually)

Fader's App is pretty zippy, and the curse of Max/MSP/Jitter is that it gets bogged down the more things you add. I appreciate the streamlined nature of Neuromixer and see where extra options would start making it less focused.

7. vjfader

Yes, I will put some thought into this function, so you can sample the live mixing.
    Ideally ppl will need a 4 channel audio card (left + right = 2 channels), one pair for master out, one pair for previewing. Normally computers only has stereo audio out, But will look into options where you can use left as master out, right as preview. For an AV performence, I can't imagine having only one channel of audio. But again, ppl won't tell the difference.

8. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

PCDJ has been utilizing SoundBlaster LIVE's 2 outputs for years, configured either as individual o/p's for each deck, or as a main/cue o/p config using a mixer built in the software...
    more recently they added a mono option, where one can use Y-splitters and get two o/p's from a single stereo-out soundcard.
    For something quick and nasty, I'd reccomend doing the "dual mono" trick which you know will work on any system.
    yeah...you don't get stereo that way, but in the end that really hardly matters...

9. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

I would prefer stereo with ASIO support, "SB Live value" cost around 50 ? and can do the job very good.
    2 stereo outputs, latency is between 3-10 ms.
    I`m not a programmer, but I know a audio engine that should handle this stuff very good.

http://www.fmod.de/fmodmain.html

Perhabs this is better than doing this all from the scratch.

10. jaqx

jaqx New Member

How great to see this software developing and becoming more popular. I love it.

Remember all those sliders and knobs on MIDI keyboards awaiting to be given a performance job!

Oh, and one bug... I could not get to FF or Rewind using an Oxygen8. Everything else responded well though.

11. vjfader

First of, thanks to all of you who have tried Neuromixer.

I'm planing on releasing the next update of Neuromixer 0.3 by end of September. If anyone who would like to beta test the software before the public release, please PM me and I will send you a copy.

thanks in advance.

12. powerbook

powerbook New Member

jit.qt.grab : error opening device for grab (NO SOUND IN SAVED .MOV)

fader: HELP ME!!!!!
    i LOVE yr program and NEED it to work asap as i want to use it at school (rietveld art academy amsterdam) BUT:////////// error: jit.qt.grab: could not create video channel -9405; error: jit.qt.grab: error opening devie for grab. ///////////////
    what happens = i can record my session, but with NO SOUND. i also have the Max/Msp 4.5 demo installed, and in the past had both 4.0.5 & 4.32 versions installed. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!? Thanks for the best VJ app i've ever used! -michael

13. vjfader

Re: jit.qt.grab : error opening device for grab (NO SOUND IN SAVED .MOV)

error: jit.qt.grab: could not create video channel -9405; error: jit.qt.grab: error opening devie for grab.

this just means there are no DV device connected to your PC, it's not so much of an error message so please ignore.

Unfortunately, you can not record sound with your Sampler/Record function, it's for video only. So you might want to record your set to a VCR, or record sound with another App. then combine the video and audio tracks.

Thanks, and I'm glad you find Neuromixer Pro useful. BTW, I love Amsterdam, great city.

Please post all NM related threads here:
    http://www.vjforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=8759