1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Edirol Vj equipment.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deepvisual, Mar 12, 2008.

1. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

details are due to be released today at the Frankfurt Musikmesse

V8: eight channel version of the V4 with BNC, and a 2 channel VGA -> video scan converter. lots of new effects including feedback and flip .

P10: motionjpeg based video sampler.

Edirol will have a press release out very soon..

I'm travelling later today.
    can someone else link to the product info when it comes out??

2. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

3. Architects of Tomorrow

Architects of Tomorrow Custom User Title

4. SteveG

I've no info as yet, perhaps My Skinz will be present later:) It looks uber cool tho. Looking forward to seeing it.

5. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

damn I'm only coming on friday - can't wait to see it in real life...

6. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

i want one already... why wasnt i born with more kidneys to sell :(

7. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

hmm I guess it won't help much with a th2go tho :( damn...

8. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

seems like they have finally been paying attention and have fixed my major complaints with the V4.
    horzontal flip :)
    preview output fade :)
    looping preview outs :)
    BNC :)

i'm less thrilled by the included scanconverter but if it's a good quality conversion then it's worth having and saves an extra box.

3 of these midi'd together would be a good th2go solution - if the price is right then it might work out to be more affordable than a vixid + 3 decent scanconverters.

I'll wait till i've seen one before passing any comments on the rest of it - hopefully the build quality has improved over the V4.

Oh and still no genlock

9. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

I'm a bit disappointed, 2 VGA inputs but you can only use one at a time...I thought it was a mixer!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  10. critique1867

critique1867 New Member

why won't it work?

11. SteveG

I'd say looking at the pic there they've used the same manufacturer as the parts for the V440 so should be good.

12. SteveG

To Retail at £1,099.00. Just spoken to Phil and there's a lot of good features yet to be published. he assures me that the Scan Converter on board is good quality. More to follow no doubt.

13. vjculture

vjculture New Member

Pics of the Edirol V8 and P-10

I'll answer questions and write reviews later tonight once the show is over.
    It's a slow connection here at Musikmesse.
    P-10 SD card visual presenter
    sorry people, I'm having problems uploading the photos from my blog.
    just go here.
    http://vjculture.blogspot.com/
    If someone wants to upload them to VJforms, please do.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  14. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

Pants. Looks good but out of my hands for a LONG time.

15. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Yeah that is complete crap isn't it.

This mixer *might* have been useful for me if it had 2 VGAs. As it is it is not.

I mean there are like 8 inputs on it and I would say the majority of people using them will be using computers. It doesn't sound too much to ask.

16. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Are you going to email them to get a review model for VJC?

17. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

Grant, are you going to be in Frankfurt on Friday, too? Would be cool to meet you.

18. cat

cat Senior Moments

I had a quick look at it (I happened to be in Frankfurt today!) First thoughts, the v4 preview screen was cluttered, this time they added 2 bars for the channel faders and a bar for the output fader, now I dont know about you but the faders can be seen by looking down at the mixer, or by touch, I'd rather of not had them or had them against the edge of the window rather encrouching into the centre!
    Only 1 VGA, I'd rather have had 2 as well, if they were going to add them, didnt have any pc's hooked up so couldnt vouch for quality...
    The vixid was there though and that looks bostin, sturdy buutons, design is functional rather than pretty (but very functional, the menu display looks well thought out etc), but the mixer looks like my tip for the top!

19. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

I'll do a demo when i get one.

20. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk

Im happy because it might make the V-4 a little cheaper now! People may want to sell to upgrade...

I was Impressed but I have to agree... two VGA's would of been a nice feature. Its what most people ask on here: "how can I convert to S-video from VGA" etc... and its mostly because we generally want to get the signal into a mixer.

It looks cool though... and the P10 looks like it might be a cool little thing as well.

21. critique1867

critique1867 New Member

What's the P-10 for actually?

22. rayrik

rayrik New Member

Kind of Kaptivator 12 pads 6 or 7 banks of avi or jpg, simple FX, build in monitor. Hardware version of Powerpoint, actually liked it more then V8 since after Edirol went and tried Vixid and that is something I REALLY liked.

23. fill_skinz

fill_skinz New Member

V-8 like the V-4 but better for not much more????

Its always going to be a price/function "equilibrium" (is that spelt right, sorry been a long daz in frankfurt (and im on a german keyboard z=y) lol.

Anzwaz, 2 x good scan converters would always equate to quite a lot of extra costing i would imagine.

So far the feedback has been verz positive.

I suppose on the bright side, a lot has been adressed in the V-8, and we have had reallz good feedback.

The new internal feedback fx, transitions etc are MUCH FUN!!!! all V-link, midi tweakable as ever

a few hundred quid more.....surely this is the way to go for a lot more, but not as far as too sell your own granny!!

And the P-10.... if the akai mpc2000 was a video sampler....(oooh! now were talking)

24. SteveG

It wont be unless they improve their customer support, 2 or 3 emails, a handful of messages via myspace and still no reply. All I was asking for was a firm UK price and a delivery date if ordered and paid for and this is a few months ago. I'll stick with the V8 and Edirol I think.

25. rayrik

rayrik New Member

Until you try it you wont believe it is really that good though 3000 is excessive. The 2500 advance price is ........... They are nice people but...... I dont do that kind of thing. I wish I had excess money for sponsoring extravagant projects but I dont It is not like paying advance for new Ferrari. The unit I saw is one thing , actual manufacturing another. I saw too many of such failed projects presented at the Messe over the years.

26. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

the P10 isn't a/v, is it?

(and I told you that's why the kaptivator price dropped drastically a month ago)

27. KillingFrenzy

KillingFrenzy KillingFrenzy Visuals

Hmm..

I'd rather it was able to output VGA, rather than inputting it and dumbing it down. That way I'd be keeping my nice VGA output from a lappy and having the ability to mix out of it into something else.

Curious if it has better compositioning options, which have been pretty lacking.

28. rayrik

rayrik New Member

There was power cut, some hostess switched all power at Edirol and the I had to go elswhere so didnt finish with the gadget. It has audio in but I guess only for beat detection.
    Seriously it is aimed at Powerpoint users who dislike using laptop.
    I hope it still will be too complex for the users so they will have to hire VJs to operate it

29. hamageddon

hamageddon Motion Mapping Looper

in fact it's an AV-Sampler running 640x480 AV-Samples of SD-Cards
    http://www.roland.com/products/en/P-10/specs.html
    no fancy features, est price somewhat " like the original price
    of the the v4" that be would be around 1300 then?
    i will have another go at the P-10 later on the messe today,
    it's around the corner of our vixid booth anyway

30. KillingFrenzy

KillingFrenzy KillingFrenzy Visuals

Input Math

Just to save someone else the trouble of figuring out the input math.

There are 7 composite inputs.
    Of which 3 get overridden by 4 Svideo Inputs
    Of which 1 of the 4 svideo inputs gets overridden by 2 VGA inputs
    of which 1 can be active at a time.

So, lets say you're trying to use your best quality inputs possible.
    You get 1 VGA, 3 SVideo, and 4 Composite.

You get a monitor out for each of these, and it looks like you can select to see the preview of each of these 8, the same way you would on a v4.

It is a 2 Channel mixer, and I'd say using the term 8 channels is a bit misleading. 8 inputs, sure... but channels implies to me the that they would be TBCed and mixable. It appears you might be able to do some sort of weird submixing with the two effect faders but hopefully they'll post the manual so we can see what that might mean. Seems like there would be some awkwardness if you're trying to set the mixture of effects with the same fader you're setting the effect amount/style.

"You can control background video (BGV) simultaneously while playing an instrument."

Written by a technical writer WMUA (while making up acronyms)