1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New mapping software. Tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Talk with VJs' started by Ixagon, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Ixagon

Ixagon New Member

We are a small Swedish software developer that just developed and released a mapping software called Shaped that focuses on installations, fairs and exhibitions. The software basically plays a sequenced loop for as many surfaces as you like. We are also the developers of the mapping library SurfaceMapper for Processing that will soon be updated as well.

So far the only finished version is for Mac osx, but the windows version is coming before the end of february.

So I am looking for comments and people that would like to test it and tell me what they think. The software can be downloaded at www.ixagon.se and you won't need a license to try it out. So please send me some feedback in a pm if you do try it out.

Best regards,
    Axel Jacobson CSO at Ixagon AB.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. vanakaru

vanakaru I've given money to VJForums

I did a really quick test, but was not able to see what it is supposed to do. Maybe the free licence has everything blocked.
    Sorry if I miss the vital parts. But it looks rather primitive(from the works you have done with it) and when I saw the price tag (1.299USD!!!!!) I thought you have mis-placed the decimal point first.
    How it is better than MadMapper or Arena or all the free/share mapping tools?
    The thing I notice too it takes rather load on CPU just doing nothing.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. Ixagon

Ixagon New Member

Hi Vanakaru, thank you for testing our software and responding.

First of, the software is not a VJ software but rather an exhibition software, mainly meant for producing projection mapped installations that work autonomously.

Regarding the CPU usage I am a little curious since we never are above 5% by doing nothing in the software. Could you please post you computer spec?

I’ll explain fast how to get started since it seems you might have missed some parts.

SHAPED is designed to work in a 3-step process. The three steps are Mapping, Sequencing and Running. When you start SHAPED it will always start in the Mapping mode. This is where you define the surfaces you want to project your media on. The Sequencing mode is where you decide what content to display on the surfaces you defined in the Mapping mode. The Run Mode displays your content on the surfaces.

Mapping works by adding surfaces to the scene. Right click anywhere inside the white borders of the screen, navigate to Add, and then click 'Add Quad surface'. You can manipulate each surface by either clicking and dragging inside it or on its corners. Each added surface gets its own track with the corresponding number in the Sequencer. You can add content to each track by navigating and finding media in the content browser to the left.

The non-commercial licenses is less than half the price of the commercial license. The commercial license is mainly for institutions, corporations, etc and is a full version that can be used and sold with a permanent commercial project.

The softwares advantages is that you can do quick standalone mapped installations that will autostart when the exhibition starts, and demands very little work in order to get results. In other words our target group is not nightclubs but exhibitions/technicians.
  4. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

First of all, I used SurfaceMapper for a looped media player. It works very good , so thanks for that!

I also think the price is way to high. It's not the big companies that install the permanent mapping, they hire people to do it. (this can be a vj or some other motion artist). If the vj can find a software for a lot less money, they will earn more so there's no reason to pay a lot more while some software as resolume can do the same (you just need to write an autostart script, but that's not that hard).

If you still sell your product, congrats! But I don't think it's going to have success unless you drastically lower the price.
  5. fryup

fryup Mike/The Midi Thief

Yeah, I don't know. Did you do market research before making up the price? It's very high for what you get compared to other similar products on the market. I gave Millumin critique for the high price but that software do so much more and by the looks of it even better. It doesn't seem like VJs will be your target group.

But on the flip side: SurfaceMapper - big up. Wish I could run that on a Raspberry Pi. That would be a really interesting budget solution - would that be possible?
  6. Ixagon

Ixagon New Member

Nice to hear that you both like SurfaceMapper, and there will be a big update quite soon that will support Processing 2.0. As of running SurfaceMapper on Rasberry Pi you should check out this thread on the Processing forum: http://forum.processing.org/topic/processing-on-raspberry-pi . One of the issues we have with SurfaceMapper is that we never get to see what people actually do with it, so feel free to post links if you have any video or code we can check out.

The assumption that VJ's will not be our target group, is correct and that is probably one of the reasons, that the pricing seems way off in this forum. The reason we post here is strictly cause we want experienced opinions of the software itself and are happy with any response.
  7. DayVeeJay

DayVeeJay I've given money to VJForums

I think a beta program would give you the best feedback.