1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new mapping technique

Discussion in 'Inspiration' started by deepvisual, Jan 19, 2011.

1. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

its not everyday you are the first person in the world to do something.
    Only problem is, it has to remain secret for a while.. all the same, its a nice feeling..

I'll come back to this post when we release details..

in the meantime here is something else we did tonight.
    A giant tribute to jackson pollack
    the paint gets chucked on by the bucket full until it covers the arch

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

Eisha thinks you are sexier when you play at being mysterious.
    I told her I think it just it makes you look more like the Hood from Thunderbirds.
  3. vjneef

vjneef -------

Of course you can never be sure that you were the first person in the world to do something.
    But it sounds exciting ;)
  4. WinstonSalem

WinstonSalem New Member

sorry, i missed the point to this thread
  5. deepvisual

the point is its now timestamped and dated and online. so I can prove when I did it
  6. WinstonSalem

WinstonSalem New Member

prove when you did what?
  7. MrJustin

MrJustin I've given money to VJForums

*Maybe* I'm mistaken, but i think what Gary is trying to tell us is that he did it for the first time last night.

;)
  8. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

Hmmmmm are toy talking about that M8 module .....
  9. devonmiles

devonmiles Midi: the language of God

Pollock. so our less educated friend Winston gets at least a chance to google.
  10. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

Now I'm curious to find out what you have up your sleeve. How long do we have to wait to find out?
  11. deepvisual

just as soon as we get paid lots to do it for someone...
  12. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

fair enough.
  13. WinstonSalem

WinstonSalem New Member

View attachment 698
    Funny you should mention that Devon, I was hanging out with Gazza and I's mutual friend Jacko P just last week.
  14. deepvisual

ok here it is..
    So obvious I can't believe no one else did it
    You'll need to dig out your 3D specs ( anaglyph)
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  15. ledhed

ledhed New Member

Pretty neat. Effect was alright on this side of it. My glasses are Cyan and Red though so that didn't help...

Seems like it'd be really effective in person. Now just paint something with Scothlite and do it polarized. :p
  16. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

So year before last...

Interesting that at BVE this year almost nobody was showing anything 3d on their stands. 3d served it's purpose (everyone who's rich / stupid enough has brought a 3d TV set) now we can get back to compelling content shot in proper 2d (preferably black and white without sound)

I guess you gave up on anyone paying for this one trick pony then Gary?
  17. deepvisual

no, not at all.. just couldn't find anyone brave enough.
    its easy to knock it, it looks great that big and it really does look much better than '4D Projection Mapping'
    lets wait and see how long it takes the imitators to kick off.
  18. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

scene inside advertising agency no more than 3.5 miles from your house.

"Ooooh. Ooooooh, just imagine 3D bricks. Moving. In. And out. In and out I tell you. Now that would be cool."
  19. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Just passing but couldn't resist:)...nice job Garry, looked great. But on a side note lets all forget about decent and interesting content and map some moving glowing shite onto pyramids and blocks, DJ booths and anything else that stands still long enough.....lol

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2012-02-25
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  20. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

well at least you've secured your place in the history books...

- and a clue as to why nobody will want this...
    Mapping is popular as large scale public art and advertising. As such you need to hit as many eyeballs as possible - if people need glasses to see the effect then you've just reduced the number of viewers significantly.

Add to that the fact that your using red/green 3D with its inherent issues with colour and your really limited as to the kind of clients who'll be into this. It cannot work properly with polarised (full colour) 3D as you cannot properly converge the two projectors onto a 3D surface.

Normal mapping is really impressive (with good content) - adding extra complexity to the production process (and thus increasing the cost significantly) doesn't really inspire clients. They are happy with existing mapping so why bother with 3D??
  21. deepvisual

why spin the logo?
    its the same argument. I'm really surprised you are making it, but you wouldn't be Tom if you didn't.
  22. SYNK

SYNK New Member

You can't prove it with online/internet posts, you can write down all the things involved.. sketches, photos, creative process optionally a video into a package and send it to yourself.. The post stamp will prove that you did it more than an online post.

I'm really happy someone did things like this !

F*ckin' great job !
  23. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

The post it to yourself method has absolutely no legal basis either. If you want to claim ownership of an idea / technique then you should use the patent office.

But really why does it matter who does something first? Are you actually after suing people who use a similar technique in the future? or are you just after fame / respect from your peers?
    (that is a rhetorical question, not aimed at Gary)
  24. deepvisual

well sometimes it matters a lot. I worked with the guy who invented the LED wall in the states last year. He hadn't gone thru the patent procedure properly, someone he was working with recognised the potential, stole the idea, legalised it, then kicked him out the business.

He's now working as an LED tech instead of sitting on a yacht.
  25. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

Did he invent it though? Or did he take the existing CRT Jumbotron concept and refine it using diode technology?

If the idea is the important bit then surly it's the guys who made the first electromechanical lightbulb scoreboards are the ones who should be sitting on a yacht? Do you not think that they considered the possibility of full colour animations when they came up with the idea? Everything since has been a refinement of the technology behind the idea. Only the limitations of the technology of the time of the idea prevented the guy with the idea from making a high resolution LED screen. If LEDs had existed back then, then it is certain that nobody would of bothered with incandescent bulb matrix displays as they were so power hungry and thus practicalities of power supplie limited their size and ability to do coloured display.