1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New noob!(freeware vj software)

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by plieuw, Sep 25, 2007.

1. plieuw

plieuw FSU

Hi,

My name is plieuw and I live in amsterdam, I am a noob in vj software so please ignore me if I have stupid questions...
    I make my own music for since 1990(the atari bee:yep: ), and now i want to learn some things about....vj software.:not worth (i want to make a stupid little video for my songs)

now my first question is there a good freeware/shareware program vj software for pc?
    maybe even with midi controls(that would be great!!!)

Thanks in advance
  2. metre

metre New Member

try the search function. there is lots.
    look at all my posts - i gave a pretty extensive list a while back.

- J
  3. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

Since I'm a Hexagonalit, I always recomend the free Hex Patch
    It is a bit complicated to get setup, but works great on the PC.
    It runs on Max/Jitter runtime, so you'll have to get both the MAX/MSP version it requests and the Jitter version.
    More on it can be found here..and while your there, there are a few other free VJ apps you might want to take a look at...
    Oh, and welcome to the forums!:)
  4. plieuw

plieuw FSU

Thanks guys thinking about giving gephex and pure data a try!! but maybe they are to complex for a noob......so I am still looking for a freeware no-brainer kind of program.

And max/msp is to expensive, and i dont like the program(in audio vst land)
  5. seex

seex Codeep visuals

Pure Data is great but probably more dispersed, some things are just for linux. I dont know if PIDIP the video library for PD works under windows, kinoko (a vj softwere interface using PIDIP) is linux only.

vvvv, is a similar enviroment as PD or MAX/MSP, its free and works under windows. Its a pain to learn, but in the long run, its worth the time. Modular composing softwere as these, have only few limits to what you can achieve.

A simple softwere usualy means a limited number of functions. This is in terms of softwere development the gratest chalinge, so you will not find any of the great ones for free, but there must be some.

A clean interface freewere, hmm... maybe Open TZT.
  6. rayrik

rayrik New Member

vvvv http://vvvv.org/tiki-index.php
    Never got it work f (it needs somthing that despite dl from MS does not work on my machine) but definitly like their fair using conditions and hope one day to be able to try it myself
  7. plieuw

plieuw FSU

rayrik, that looks like the tool for me!!!
    fair using conditions.....:)

Open TZT, will give it a try
  8. VGA

VGA ...

9. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

Open TZT is a good choice.

Fairly simple to get to grips with (they provide an audio tutorial) and has wicked MIDI link up.

http://www.opentzt.com/

VGA, your link is mostly ???? over the pages. Is that right?
  10. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

Max/MSP runtime is a free applet, with no time restrictions on the PC side.
  11. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Hmmmm... I think simple is the key here. Run salvation MX or Open TZT.
  12. makemassair

I was thinking the same thing. :lol2:
  13. VGA

VGA ...

No.
    What do you think the ??? represent?
  14. makemassair

Well I would assume Chinese or Japanese characters or something that is not natively installed as a font pack on standard work PCs. But I really have no idea, hence why I asked.
  15. USE

USE Primal Visions

tzt was developed originally by some japanese dude, so i imagine thats why it has japanese script on page.
  16. makemassair

Ah yes. I do recall reading that a while back. But they have had an english text webspace for yrs now in the redeveloped opentzt project.

www.opentzt.com and the one on sourceforge, which I think links back to the first one now.

I was only confused as to why a website not in english or dutch as plieuw is I understand, was provided as it's not that helpful for a newbie to VJing.

Unless of course plieuw speaks Japanese.

Anyways. OpenTZT is a top choice. As is VVVV (which Sanch does some amazing stuff with) but requires some coding and learning.
  17. VGA

VGA ...

the world is flat eh.
  18. makemassair

Right... not sure I understand your comment but hey ho.
  19. plieuw

plieuw FSU

salvation MX looks like a simple program to start with, limited but easy,

(looks like a vst plugin for disco dsp)