1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New software... Realtime 3D vector graphics on an oscilloscope!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrelectron, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

I have been working on some software to produce realtime 2D- and 3D- graphics on an oscilloscope direct from a computer.

It's free (GPL), and runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

www.electronbeats.com/projects

Thought perhaps some VJ folks might find it interesting (I was planning doing some projections via cameras etc. A bit low-tech perhaps...)

If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, check the attached image or see the website.

Cheers!

ps. feedback is of course very welcome
  2. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

cool - this would make a great freeframe source plugin (hint hint) - then you could use it in allmost any VJ software.

www.freeframe.org
  3. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

nice, i bet you can control a laser with this too w/o much alteration (if at all)
  4. complexvisuals

complexvisuals Eye Squared

Disk Image

Disk Image wont mount for some reason. Downloaded from different locations

OSX 10.3.8
  5. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

thanks for the feedback guys.

will certainly look into the freeframe thing, sounds like a good idea. Shouldn't be too much work, the backend code is pretty simple actually.

About the laser thing - yes, i though that would be a good idea too. Anybody got any good ideas on the hardware side?

About the .dmg not working - will check it out also. The problem is that I don't actually own a Mac, I've been testing it using the PearPC emulator on my PC, which is veeeerrrryyyyy slllloooooooow.
  6. kallisti

kallisti hypermasher

i had the same disk mount issue with my pbook...
    anticipating fix....please!
  7. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

I have identified the problem with the files not working. It seems there was a problem uploading them to SourceForge.

Unfortunately, due to the slightly strange uploading arrangements implemented by SourceForge, I cannot upload a file of the same name for 24 hours!

So hold yer breath, and hopefully there will be a working version by this time tomorrow!!!

let this be a lesson to any programmers out there - TEST YOUR STUFF BEFORE YOU ANNOUNCE IT!!!
  8. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

I have re-uploaded the files. Hopefully should work OK now.
  9. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

Very nice idea. I remember when we had electro-technics in class I had alot fun with 3 generators (sinus/triangle/square...) .
    One for X, one for Y and one for brightness. I managed to tune them in many ways and ended up with little worms jumping around the screen. Everybody was laugting beside the the teacher. Thats wasn`t serious enough for him I think.
    Good to see I?m not the only one who likes this kind of shit.
    :rolleyes:

I once red a book about DIY lasershows. They had a description of a selfmade scanner, controlled exactly the same way like your Oscilloscope is controlled.
    They bought 2 simple small speakers, cut away the membrane (the black stuff around the middle??).
    Then a small iron wire (heat it to make it hard..) is glued onto the the middle.
    On top of this a small laser-mirror is placed, fixed on only one side in a way that allows it to turn a bit (20 degrees?)
    Then the iron wire is glued to the mirror.
    Is this understandable?? I have still have the picture in mind, if anybody needs it I could paint it.
  10. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

if i recall correctly the standard for laser XY controllers is to be controlled by a audio line level stereo signal (left is X, right is Y)
  11. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

Using a speaker cone to move a mirror (and then some sort of cheap laser pointer) sounds like a good idea. Will have a go when I get the time (and try not to blind myself).

If what youse are saying is true (line level inputs to control laser), then the software should work with absolutely no modification whatsoever.

Anybody got the gear necessary to try this out???

The laser option was always going to be a better idea for live performance anyway.
  12. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

The guy that made Laser Mame has alot of details on the topic.
  13. kallisti

kallisti hypermasher

more mac problems...

trying to set the hardware options pretty much locks up the program... (keeps spinning the colorful disc looking for?....)
    tried several times...no luck

running a g4 pbook...
  14. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

It seems there is a problem with the audio on Mac OS X. Problem is that I am using the PearPC emulator to compile/test the mac version, which does not (yet) have proper sound emulation. Will try and get it sorted as quick as possible and post an update.
    Of course, if anyone is a mac programmer and has a REAL mac, they could have a go at fixing it (since the source code is available - isn't open source just fabby???)
  15. kallisti

kallisti hypermasher

thanks for putting up with the endless barrage...i'm just looking forward to this..
  16. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

I think I have fixed the Mac problems, and also a problem with the Win32 version missing a .dll (mingw10.dll).

The updated version (0.1.1) is available from the website (www.electronbeats.com/projects)

thanks for all the feedback!
  17. aiwaz

aiwaz Member

it might work sorta with an unmodified sound card
    for best results use a bipolar DAC but to get suitable graphics from a sound card the first thing you gotta do is remove 2 caps or bridge across them from the output of the card to remove the AC and get a clean DC signal the next thing i would do is build some sort of opamp circuit for the output to give it +/- swing and some pots for gain and centering
    i can give it a try after the weekend but the only problem is that i don't have true closed loop galvos what i have is open loop g124's with accelerator cards wich is kind of trickery to get near closed loop performance so my setup is stated to do 12k but i think its more like 8k well any way it will give a good idea of what it would look like on a set 30k^ scanners

VJ AIWAZ
  18. WordVirus23

WordVirus23 NoInput is Detected

website is down?

gotta watch yer bandwidth when you post up in here :)
  19. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

Lets connect the output to a amplifier, build a gigantic electron tube with big X/Y coils and shoot the output to a really big-screen phosphor wall. Faster than any scanner, real olskool.

Don`t forget to give out some X-ray protective clothing at the entrance. Otherwise some nice bone structures may appear on the screen,not such a bad thing at all, since most people are already radiated when they enter the place.:)

:love:
  20. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk

Can't seem to find a download for this - can somebody point me in the direction?
  21. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

22. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk

Yup thats what i was thinking - I have a friend who is wanting to control lasers and what not via VJ apps - I searched and found this post.

Cheers for the link dav.