1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic WJ-AVE 5 any good?

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by iMartin, Aug 31, 2004.

1. iMartin

iMartin New Member

I know where there are two panasonic WJ-AVE 5's which I can buy for about ?140 are they worth it and will they do what I want?

I am just getting to grips with VJing. At the moment I am using a PC with Arkaos. I would also like to mix a DVD player and possibly a DV camera (although this can be routed through Arkaos) - this will then be output to a projector.

So if I buy a panasonic WJ-AVE 5 will I be able to mix a PC and DVD player? Will there be any loss of quality?

I am completely in the dark when it comes to video mixers so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Martin
  2. PilotX

PilotX Tom syzygy, not Dan ;)

Hi Martin,

you can use an ave-5 to mix between PC and DVD player, but you would have to route the DV cam through the pc as ave-5 only has two inputs.
    Don't know about the price, whether that is any good as we've not bought a mixer for a while..

If you want to come and play with ours before you buy, and have a look at the V4 and MX1 then you'd be more then welcome. (pm me and we can arrange a time)

also read the reviews on VJCentral.com of different mixers to get a feel of what they can each do.
  3. MJS2020

MJS2020 eyejammer

The review on vjcentral of the AVE5 matches reality as far as my experience with that mixer goes.
    I've seen the AVE5 and the DVM1000 (which is the blaupunkt clone of the ave5) go for around 160 to 230 ? so I think the price you were mentioning is a bit too high. Take a look on ebay. These, along with the AVE7 are very frequent items. I've hardly ever seen bigger mixers such as the mx50 or the sony mixers go on ebay for reasonable prices but i'm a starving veejay with no $$!:sad:
  4. littlecatalyst

littlecatalyst Retireded

awww.... can we set up a fund to feed poor lil mjs2020

..as for the ave-five i still ovethat lil baby, compared to shiteonix (for any sort of actual old style mixing) its a steal and it is in your pricerange.... unless Hamma wants to sell yo one of his Hammas, in that price range you'll b happy with that... if you got the bread (as opposed to poor lil mjs) you will prolly be happier with a V4 but thats at least 3X the price
  5. elout

elout New Member

I got a ave-5 myself and still like it a lot.

It got only 2 inputs (bnc/svhs) But since I just vj with 2 laptops it`s ok.
    Further each input has also a monitor out. so good for a preview monitor if you are using dvd.
    And I hooked up 3 beamers to the output (bnc) without any problems.

Bad thing no chroma/luminance. And the plastic mix buttons, easily let loose, not fun if in the middle of the night, if you have to find it on the floor.

Mixing 2 video sources together felt like a new dimension to me, like a dj, that gets his hands for the fist time on two recordplayers and a mixer.

I bought mine 2 years ago for 350 euro`s, and I friend of mine bought one 1 month ago for 270 euro`s.
  6. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

you get BOTH for 140? or each?
    if its both, I wouldn't hesitate, you could turn around and sell one on ebay and essentially end up with a free AVE5...
    what everyone says is accurate. I've messed with an ave5 before, no chroma/luminance key, but you *can* mix two sources....the better aspect of the mixer is its A/V and you can cut very fast between the two sources...maybe you don't mess with audio though.
  7. iMartin

iMartin New Member

The bad news is that whilst I was researching the model I missed out on the sale $#**T!!!

I am still kicking myself! Looking for another one now. I have been offered a Panasonic mx-10 but it looks like a bit of a monster!

Cheers

Martin