1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC crashing on export/render, Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nick Gunn, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nick Gunn

Nick Gunn New Member

Right, I've had a serious issue with my desktop PC for roughly a couple months now. Basically what happens is it completely crashes, shuts down and switches off to a black screen whenever I render/export ANYTHING that takes over roughly 10 minutes to render/export.

This goes for rendering with 3D studio max, Vegas, and rendering to burn with DVD architect. So I'm guessing it's a hardware issue. As you can imagine it's really hampering my productions.

My first thought is the graphics card overheating or something, but my PC is in standard room temperture, and checking the card after a crash, it doesn't seem hot. However, the power supply is a bit hot. Could it be this?

Would just really like to know the likely cause so the part can be replaced....

PC spec off the top of my head:

Window XP home
    AMD dual core
    2GB ram
    GeForce 8600 GT
    7200rpm SATA

Cheers.

2. many2

many2 Active Member

Overheating is definitely a possibility. Bad ram is another.
    For overheating, a lot of time this is due either to a bad fan (check if all fans are turning) or dirt accumulation. A good cleaning session might help to bring your computer back to life.

3. Gumby

Gumby I've given money to VJForums

Yep, sounds very much like overheating. Used to have this very same problem untill I bought a new case with loads of fans and massive CPU heatsink/fan. Either do as Many2 says, or invest in new case or more/bigger fans.

I think, might be wrong here, that AMD's just give up when too hot, wheras othesr just go into low power mode and slow down.

What size of case do you have? Micro ATX cases have very poor airflow, wheras fullsizes cases usually don't.

4. Gumby

Gumby I've given money to VJForums

Download PCWizard and it will show the temperatures of all your components so you can watch where it cuts out. Mine used to go at 89Deg's C.

5. Nick Gunn

Nick Gunn New Member

It's a Novatech PC, so Novatech case. It's not very big.....could be the issue. I did clean it last week, paying special attention to the fans, but it didn't help.

As I said the only thing that seems to get hot is the power supply.
    But the AMD processor giving up sounds like a possability.

Will render with it open and keep an eye on the fans....and try running PC wizard.

6. Nick Gunn

Nick Gunn New Member

Anybody know about the Novatech reputation btw?
    Someone recommended their laptops, and besides building your own desktop they do a pretty good deal.

7. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

I would suggest that a hot power supply indicates a heavily worked power supply and if that is the case 'maybe' something with a little more grunt might help?

On the other hand this idea is from somebody who relies on mates to build his machines so what do I know?

A way to check would be total up the power demands of all your bits and check that against the PSUs rating and see if there might be a clue there

8. Nick Gunn

Nick Gunn New Member

Power supply is sounding more like a possability when you consider I'm usually using up 5 of the 6 USB ports. Will have a play when home from work and see what I can find.

9. AndresC4

AndresC4 Andres :)

Look for dust inside the fans, overheating its the main issue, and psu its the second.

I have a q9550 with a nvidia N250 and a crapy 450w psu, the pc works fine, but if i open a heavy game with all the settings on full i can hear the videocard fan that goes faster , and a few seconds latter it try to increes the speed again and at that point the pc shuts down. I need to get a psu asap i know, in a few days i will buy a 600w modular.

10. Nick Gunn

Nick Gunn New Member

OK, opened it up and started a render. All the fans were running fine. But upon running PC Wizard (very handy) it had the main board running very hot in deed.

The processor was in the mid to late 30 degrees, but the board kept going up and peaked at 110c, and stayed at that for the final 4 minutes or so. It did last for 25mins on the export before crashing, but the case was open.

So I'm guessing this is the cases fault as mentioned right? It is a Micro
    ATX case as you mentioned Gumby.
    So bigger case and maybe bigger fan is going to solve it?

11. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

Check that the heatsinks on the MB are not falling off / covered in crap.
    Buy a can'o'air and blow all the dust off everything.
    Consider getting a better case with more space inside Antec make decent cases which are worth the extra money over a generic one IMHO. Look for one which has multiple 12cm fans (the bigger diameter a fan is the less noisy it will be - again go for named brand fans as they are more reliable and much less noisy)

12. many2

many2 Active Member

One more vote for Antec cases with big fans. I'm in love with mine !

13. Nick Gunn

Nick Gunn New Member

Yeah went round with a can of air to clear the dust last week, but because a fan is on top of the heatsink the dust wasn't really coming off. Will remove the fan and give it a proper clean before sorting a new case+fans.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

14. FingerHuman_00

FingerHuman_00 Edible video

I had a similar issue with my old PC when running premiere CS2 and exporting for long periods of time, I seem to remember I disabled some kind of auto shut off at a certain temp so that it just kept goin. Obviousley this was a crap idea as the next time I did a big render it just blew. Just thought I'd mention it so you don't make the same mistake (if you're as dumb as me!) But yeah what they said, cooling is the way to go.