1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pico Projectors - worth it?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by brownroo, Mar 5, 2012.

1. brownroo

brownroo New Member

So, I have access to some very cheap Pico Projectors. They are between 50-100 lumens. I want to do some video projection for my parties but I wanted to know what you all thought about actually using pico projectors. I know you can't really throw the image too far but I was planning on rigging them closer to the booth since they are so small.

I want to know if you guys have had a favorable experience with them though.

Thanks
  2. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

50-100 lumen is not enough. Each projector has at least 1000 lumen, and a decent vj projector is about 3200 lumen.

You can do the math with lumen/m2 to calculate what area you can light with the pico projectors.
  3. brownroo

brownroo New Member

Yeah I kinda figured it would be too low, th eactual person who is hooking me up with them kinda related the same message that the reason more people in clubs aren't actually purchasing those for that purpose is because they aren't bright enough.

Welp. That's about the extent of my capabilities in terms of vjing...I'm going to try to put something together with them. Ideas could be great.

I'm pretty much able to get as many of these:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-KP500-01-Projector-Battery-WindowsCE/dp/B005NDVWAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330971065&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: AAXA KP500-01 P4 Pico Projector, 80 Lumens, Pocket Size, Li-Ion Battery, 15000 Hour LED Projector, WindowsCE, Media Player, Black: Electronics[/ame]

and these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-M2-Projector-1024x768-Resolution/dp/B004BM2OS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330971065&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: AAXA M2 Pico/Micro Projector with LED, XGA 1024x768 Resolution, 110 Lumens, Media Player and HDMI: Electronics[/ame]

as I want.
  4. brownroo

brownroo New Member

ionno i'm grasping at low hanging fruit here haha :(
  5. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

But I'm sure you could do some cool stuff with it. Just watch out with the light of the lighting :)

You could try something like price lists with vj stuff :)
  6. jeanp00le

jeanp00le Member

Imaginative uses of a Pico projector..

Tiny pico projectors mightn't be much good for clubwalls or large scale projection mapping... but they do bring new possibilities... the only limit is the imagination...

http://www.skynoise.net/2009/08/13/videohuahua/

That same Mexican artist interviewed above, also does works with Pico-projectors attached to blimps...

Aside for projecting for audiences though - what kinds of new footage could you possibility generate with *battery powered* projectors that can be placed in very weird and small locations?
  7. many2

many2 Active Member

I've used pico-projectors many years ago to be used as eyes for giant puppets. I had the projectors (battery powered) inside the heads of the puppets, retro-projecting on the translucent eyes. The source was a GP2X running Pilikipita's software and I had the consoles modified so as to deport the joystick (used to control the eyes movement) onto the puppeteer's hands.

Pico projectors have a lot of potential - they are just not playing the same game as standard projectors.
  8. brownroo

brownroo New Member

Wow that was a very interesting read.

Personally my thing is just music and wanted to know if anyone had tried anything in that setting, did a night recently at a club and brought the projectors out and it was pretty bright you could see it and I just posted them in various locations out of the way and projected a video i just cut up and put together almost over night.

It worked out pretty well and I went with a bunch of the P3's from AAXA [ame="http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-KP400-01-Projector-Rechargable-Battery/dp/B000LX12QC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1331249698&sr=8-7"]Amazon.com: AAXA KP400-01 P3 Pico Pocket Projector with 50 Lumens LED, Media Player, HDMI and Rechargable Battery, Black: Electronics[/ame]

But honestly I'm junior mint at this game and I just got some software to mess around with visuals.

I'll keep you updated but honestly I am blown away by the community in general haha :cool: