1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback of DVD's/DVD Codecs trouble

Discussion in 'Finding Content' started by Gumby, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Gumby

Gumby I've given money to VJForums

For some reason, suddenly i am unable to play DVD's on my MESH laptop.
    It came preinstalled with DVD decoders/codecs, and even after a complete format of the C: drive and clean install of XP i was still able to play DVD's.
    A couple of months later it suddenly decided to stop playing them. It said that there were now no decoders/codecs installed on my machine and that id have to look on the Windows Media Marketplace thing for some new one. However, the ones available here are ?70+ and im not going to pay that amount just to watch a DVD! I downloaded the Windows Media checkup utility and that said that the codecs, despite being there, where not active or something like that.

:sigh: Any tips?

2. Gumby

Gumby I've given money to VJForums

Yo, since everyone seems to be ignoring me on this i was asking becasue if i need to play and CONTENT DVD's then i can't. so...does anyone know?!

3. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

4. pa235

pa235 Phreaky Geeky

Have you resolved this yet? I may have a couple suggestions.

5. ElectroStreamz

ElectroStreamz ElectroJunkie

playback

I have a few suggestions....
    although I would keep these requests to the proper forum, as this channel is more for content than hardware questions.

here's the deal.... If you have Windows media center installed on your computer REMOVE IT.

There are core challenges with the way windows media center handles 3rd party codecs and once media center is installed it pretty much takes over the way your system deals with media in a negative way.
    it will invalidate almost all the preexisting codecs aside from what comes with quiktime and media center.
    I've seen media center hoop several chainsaws up the ass of my VJ friends computers.
    it pretendeds to have valid windows versions of a specific codec, and then wipes the pointer to the previous codec. and then turns around and tells you that it doesn't have that codec installed in the system

and won't let you override which version of what codec you want to use.
    I hate it.
    ANYWAY>>>>>
    if it's in your system... wipe it, if it's not, good luck I would guess that a piece of third party software got installed during some other installation that you performed

Anyway if you are looking to just play dvd's there are a myriad of open source dvd players out there. VLC being one of them
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]VLC is semi decent for VOB's although I've noticed it loves to crash when dealing with large playlists or when used in conjuntion with "anydvd" a dvd copyright steparound program.
    I generally will copy the vob to the hd before playing.
    takes about 3 minutes to copy the 4GB of vob from and dvd disk

.VOB is a standard for all dvd video files and stands for DVD video object.
    it is encoded very similarly to [SIZE=-1]MPEG-2 video files. with only slight differentiations in the encoding algorithm.
    [/SIZE]
    if you are trying to cut specific clips from a dvd I recomend VideoEdit
    and then re-encode the clipped file with an actuall encoder..
    For mac try ffmpegx

for PC ???? Maybe somebody can recomend a good one as I haven't found one yet, i migrate all my stuff to mac for ffmpegx to handle and then back to the pc

hope this helps...
    lol,

[SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]