1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Previewlounge.tv VJ Loops now open!

Discussion in 'Finding Content' started by vj_jasper, Apr 4, 2009.

1. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

hi all,

a quick note of celebration to mention this:
    http://www.previewlounge.tv is now happening.

the website is all about VJ Loops - hand crafted drawings mixed with computer graphics techniques, for VJ's to mix realtime with software and/or hardware..

the reason i mention the website:
    to ask for feedback, critique, comment, holla, zhouts, all opinions welcome.

early days, i hope that some will enjoy at least the previews..

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Motionreactor

Motionreactor www.motionreactor.net

I'll be totally honest... I like the style of the clips and they are quite interesting. However the design of the site is particularly underwhelming and I'll try to explain why. Partly it is because we have been hearing every little detail of its development, and yes granted you did state it was early days and I do totally respect the amount of work that goes into development... but I can't help but feel a little bewildered because of the expectations that had been building up. Design wise here are some of my critiques.

1. The header is cramped. It is cramped up at the top of the browser and in particular the logo is clinging to the top of the browser where almost every other element on the page has some considered space to breathe.
    2. I find the header graphics and logo slightly awkward in itself, but perhaps that is my personal preference. These days I prefer to not 'box things in' when it comes to logos. The dominating bevel / glossy shape immediately surrounding the logo is at odds with the style and feeling of the part I consider the actual logo (the dots and type). I also find the 'tv' oddly tacked on and the colour brown used on the 't' ambiguous. Now I apologise for this late criticism as I admit I saw the development of the logo and neglected to respond earlier with my thoughts.
    3. The clips are displayed quite nicely, in terms of spacing they are well considered. However again it feels slightly awkward with the bevel / gloss border surrounding. If I can explain that part of my concern is a question of hierarchy. Put simply elements of more importance should dominate over less important elements. The borders surrounding the clips are not as important as the clips themselves, yet they are fairly thick and the clips themselves feel small in comparison. I have to squint to see what the clip looks like but I have no problem seeing the border... when it should be the other way around.
    4. The menu on the other hand has good hierarchy. The search and shopping cart are easy to find and at the top, followed by the categories and then the less important 'about us'. You understood the needs of a user here and established the hierarchy in a logical manner. Visually the buttons themselves do help tie the page together as we see a repetition of style and colour which unifies with the preview thumbnail borders. This makes sense, but when you consider the surrounding light grey backgrounds with dotted borders it doesn't make sense. This style and the dotted borders don't tie in with anything else on the page. They also add separation between what more logically are grouped elements. I think that the search, cart, categories and about snippet are grouped elements. So it seems odd that the categories are split into their own 'islands' when they logically should be a grouped set of elements, yet they are separated by borders.
    5. The footer is also feeling awkward. It is a small space with really quite large yet not so important giant typography. The blue background is again different from other things in terms of style and even the specific shade of blue. Again, like the header it clings desperately to the edge of the browser when I feel it deserves a little bit of breathing room.
    6. Fonts and Typography. You have lots of problems here. You have used many (I count at least 4) different typefaces and also in terms of font size, kerning and weight things are really messy and all over the place. These need to unify, when at the moment they seem arbitrarily chosen and not related to each other in any way. You have some detail problems too, for example there is an _ underscore within the name of one of your clips when all the others are otherwise consistent. Also I don't understand what the ~ tilde is for at the end of the 'all prices are in usd'.

Overall my main design concerns are all about gestalt and unity. How everything in the design ties together is totally dependent upon considered and consistent treatment. There are so many different shape, colour, spacing, style and font treatments that overall it does not unify well. It is like bringing together pieces from separate designers. As I mentioned earlier for example, the dotted border around the sidebar elements is at odds with everything else on the page in terms of style. Fonts seem arbitrarily chosen and colours and style treatments are many and varied.

I appreciate this is rather a cutting critique, but I feel that you are a hard worker, energetic and able to take this in your stride. I do genuinely hope this helps and am happy to respond if you have any questions about my critique.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

always good to start on a positive.. :)

yay! first comment at vjforums..

im almost to excited to read any further.

re/ font issues, yes they will be reigned in.

cheers! :)
  4. deqn

deqn New Member

Hey Jasper,

all i want to say is i'm in love with the urban and forest clips! amongst the best i've seen for long time...

so i hope the site picks up on visitors and helps you create more of these dreamy worlds!

i'd love to watch a full mix from you too... got something online somewhere?

good luck anyway :]
  5. blackwatch

blackwatch blvck

Nice work...Looking forward to seeing more clips!
  6. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

thankyou so much for encouragement.

@deqn:

re/ forest and urban clips.. yes, people go wild when they see these on a big screen.

re/ AV mix.. there is AV content from me with Lightrhythm Visuals, Euro mTV, d.a.v.e. the Drummer, and footage from a couple of Splendour in the Grass festivals.. somewhere on the net.. i will host some AV mix examples at Previewlounge soon.

@ blackwatch
    re/ more clips - yes for sure.

::

well, i am happy to announce that until May,
    sale prices are Go ..@ Previewlounge.tv :)

until last night, everyone was purchasing a single clip at one time..
    that was cool, however the animations are really made
    to go with each other really well.. the cart works great for multiple purchases.

the previewlounge system will
    remember a VJ's cart choices when the VJ returns to the page,
    and the immediate online download system works a dream.. directly to the VJ's email address (again, via Paypal).

so, the prices are a lot cheaper for a couple of weeks,
    just to see if some VJ's would like to purchase multiple clips.
    mixing a number of Previewlounge clips at one time is where the magic happens.

a big thankyou to the VJ who very recently purchased nine clips.. cheers!
  7. reduxer

reduxer Member

i think you are selling these at a good price, nice one on that. i like the style of your clips though they don't go with what I'm doing at the moment. I'm sure i have a folder of some of your older loops somewhere to!
    The layout of the site is comfortable also, although a little too much white for me!
    Good luck with it
  8. bridd

bridd :)

Nice work - I particularly like the clips in the radiance section (Celestine flowers) ! Prices are very reasonable too :cool:
  9. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

yo, super cheers for the compliment, Bridd :)

many thanks Reduxer for comments..
    i have now tried to make a larger variety of content available at previewlounge, and i'm workin' on making the website not too bright.

currently editing some multiple-screen vj loops, 1920*480.. really mixing up some nice effects, creating a series of (hopefully) entertaining triple-screen clips.