1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projection Mapping query

Discussion in 'A/V' started by Mojo Jojo, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo New Member

Hi,
    Though have posted earlier in one of the post with some discouraging replies, have thought of making a new thread for all the people having queries and solutions about 3d Projection Mapping.
    I am a motion graphic designer, and work on 3ds max and after effects. And have a fair bit of an idea about projection on a screen.
    Have 2 queries
    1. How to do a 360 deg projection on a ball. And specially how should I make the content. Will it be just a UV unwrap of the material on the ball which is been created in 3d and then Mapped onto the real ball. or will be the render from the angle of projection. I suppose in the later case the no of render, i.e. no of input files will be equal to the no of projectors...
    2. How can we do a projection on car. If an expert, which I believe on this website are many, can make a tutorial or broad work flow example....would be great.
    Opsie...one more thing.
    How were they able to create glow below the car in this video. Anyone please
    :eek:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

the glow under the car is done with lights - look at any "modded" car
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. luper

luper Lazy Member

Look, project over a ball is not that easy, I suggest you to make some try with a simple object, like a cube. If you whanna study a little bit of theory you can have a look here: http://vvvv.org/documentation/how-to-project-on-3d-geometry

By the way, if you wanna make some try, just create a sphere in 3Ds MAX and put 3 light arount it (4 is better)
    then put a grid as texture in the projector map(something like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NWSHay-_Gtk/R8hsDLaG9XI/AAAAAAAAAKU/DO6Ltp8v7zY/s400/grid.gif) so every light will act like a projector

See what happen on the surface of the sphere, and you'll have an idea about what kind of deformation you must apply on your video content.

A totally different way is to use some mapping tool (http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=34774&highlight=sphere)

Let me know if you wanna still make this out ;D
    nic
  4. cat

cat Senior Moments

Reason you didn't get any useful answers is that there isn't any one way to do a mapping, you can experiment and work things out for yourself, or hire someone who has done this kind of thing before as a consultant or creative partner.
    You can UV map an object and if you have software that can accept 3d objects and allow you to position virtual cameras in the scene do it that way.
    You can work out where your projectors will be and render from that position
    It very much depends on what your projecting onto and what kind of content your projecting, with how many projectors, where the audience is, how large the object is etc etc.
    Personally I would use vvvv and UV map the ball, but there is a learning curve to that, I imagine that you could do something similar in quartz composer.
    If its a corporate gig hire someone who knows what they're doing, if its a no budget gig, learn some new software and experiment!
  5. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

IF, like you have posted in a thread, as for example this one, to then PM people with same query is tantamount to spamming as far as I am concerned.
    IF this is paid for corporate work that you are unskilled enough to be asking for this sort of advice you should be considering paying consultancy fees is my opinion.
  6. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo New Member

Caera Projector Lens.

HI,
    For a projection project we are using Chistie Roadster 18K projector with 1.4 throw lens. Now What I have learned is the render from the 3d software has to be from the POV of the projector.
    Can anyone help deciding on the Lens to be in 3ds Max camera in mm.
    Thanks
    BTW PC project, with the experience/knowledge you have just thought of sending you a PM, since I didnt received any help earlier.Thanks BTW